Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 10 & 11spd Compatability (Ultegra)
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

Questions for the masses:

I’m running 11spd chain & sprocket with 10spd Chainrings (all shimano) as I thought this was compatabile / would run without problems.

However im repeatable breaking chains – one half of the link is splaying off the pin, 3rd time its happened now.

Before I go & drop the best part of £130 on 11spd chain rings & a new chain (sprocket is still new), could it be possible that my rather bad habit of running on opposites (big ring / big sprocket) is causing the chain to “pop”?

A new chain would be far more preferable to a new drive chain.

sillyoldman

How are you joining the chain?

You can only either use a Shimano joining pin or a pair of joining links. If you re-join by drifting out a factory fitted pin and drift it back in to join you’ll have an unsafe join. Sounds like that’s the issue you’re having? Apologies if that’s not the case.

joemmo
    Free Member

Same thoughts here. The post might be better titled why is my chain breaking?

The internal width on a 10 & 11 speed chain is the same AFAIK and while cross-chaining can add wear to your transmission it shouldn’t break a chain.

mariner
    Free Member

Have a look on the compatibility chart

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/2.9?types=road&cid=C-453&acid=C-455

and see if what you are running is listed against other items.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

have used split links to join (shimano compatible KMC), but have joined in the traditional manner out on the road (emergency repair etc)

TiRed

It’s not the 10/11 compatibility. Once you’ve broken it, I suspect it’s  not been fixed properly. Shimano can’t be fixed without a special pin. We’re you carrying one?

A split link is what I always use to join Shimano chains. They are. 10/11 specific.

Is start again with a new chain and split link. kmc links are fine with Shimano chains.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘10 & 11spd Compatability (Ultegra)’ is closed to new replies.