Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 1 x CX build – which SRAm derailleur
  • boom
    Free Member

I’m changing over to 1 x 11 on my cx bike

Have a pair of SRAM Red 11 speed shifters, narrow wide chainring, cassette and chain

Question is do I need to go for a mtb style clutch derailleur or can I go with a regular SRAM 11 speed derailleur such as Rival or Apex?

onandon
    Free Member

You can use a non clutch but for cx but id go with a full cx1 rear mech to be 100% sure.

boom
    Free Member

thanks – I suppose alternatively I could use NX or GX mtb derailleur ?

kelron
    Free Member

The Rival 1 is a clutch mech – not sure if the 2x version is as well.

Ioneonic

You will need to check compatability. I don’t think sram MB 11 speed RD have the same pull as Road  Having said that I ran an NX RD with 11 speed Rival shifters and it did work to a point. When it needed replaced I went for Rival 1 RD.

onandon
    Free Member

Cx1 is x1 road

mountain mech will not work with road shifters.

cx1 11 speed mech will also work with 10 speed road shifters

Bream
    Free Member

I’ve been running CX1 with Red Hyrdo levers for a couple of years now without any issues.

What cassette will you run? Don’t run a Red cassette like I did for the first season, might be lighter but it really doesn’t like mud and started skipping with a little mud pack!

mos

Is it really different spacing? The reason i ask is that my CX1 planet x came with a sram PG1130 11-42T cassette & the only PG1130 i can find with that range is an MTB cassette.

scruff
    Free Member

I have cx1 lever, apex mech and slx 40t cassette.

john_l
    Free Member

10spd SRAM is definitely interchangable between road and mtb (I used Rival shifters and XO mech). Not sure about 11spd as I moved to Ultegra.

finbar
    Free Member

Mos – the spacing is the same, so you can absolutely run a road cassette on an MTB or vice versa. The potential issue is whether road shifters ‘pull’ the same amount of cable as MTB ones (I don’t know the answer).

onandon
    Free Member

Yes, MTB cassettes will work with a spacer but you must use road mech and road shifters.

i use xtr cassettes with a few of my builds

boom
    Free Member

Thanks folks

My conclusion is as follows

Paired with my SRAm Red shifters I need a derailleur with the same actuation –  in the case of Red – “Exact Actuation”

From what you say here, and my own research, SRAM 11 speed road shifters and mtb RD cannot be used together as the actuation technology is slightly different

So what I need is one of the RD’s as listed in the link below – so I’ll prob go for Apex 1 as the most affordable option

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/technologies/exact-actuation

onandon
    Free Member

Get a rival rear mech on eBay. Far, far better than the apex and you’ll probably find one at about the same cost.

to quantify better. It’s a chunk lighter but the main difference is the apex cage is steel which corrodes and looks crap pretty quickly.

prive being the same, go rival.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Sram Rival 1 mech here, never any problems , done a few cx races, lots of gravel, and plenty of woodland Singletrack stuff, paired with a NW chainring I’ve yet to drop the chain.   Also run an SLX cassette, 11-40, again no issues.

scruff
    Free Member

I find the clutch tension high on my apex and makes it a bit draggy and noisy when filthy, can’t adjust it either.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘1 x CX build – which SRAm derailleur’ is closed to new replies.