Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1 x 9 without a chain guide…
  • tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

After having my fancy bike pinched by some footpads and cutpurses; and since it wasn’t insured and I haven’t got any money -I’m cobbling a hardtail together out of bits and pieces.
    I’ve got most of the bits now, but I’ve only got an old singlespeed chainset and no front derailleur.
    So, is anyone running 1 x 9 without a (horribly ugly) chainguide, or does the chain come off endlessly? (I was always in the same ring at the front anyway).

jonjones262
    Free Member

I’m running 1×9 on my commuter (46 tooth up front). Some days it’ll drop off a few times, most days it’s fine.

7hz
    Free Member

I ran 1×9 for a week or two without any guards. Came off once to the outside and chain got twisted by crank arm – could have easily broken chain doing that.

Now running BBG outer bashguard and N-gear inner jump stop, working fine, total cost about £25.

http://www.bbgbashguard.com/Mountainbike.html
    http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=chng-js

Keva
    Free Member

Yup I run a 1×9 set up without a horribly ugly chainguide…

chain stays on all the time, over rocks, roots, jumps the lot. Before I fitted the N-Gear Jumpstop and bashguard though it used to come off when riding over the rough stuff unless I carried on pedaling through it.

Kev

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

That’s tidy Keva.

When I first tried 1×9, it stayed on fine on roads when the derailler was still. But came off all the time off-road as the derailler waggled about. Fitted an E13 Hive.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

That is really tidy Keva – I was really trying to avoid a chain guide – but a bashring’s alright, and I’d never seen those little jump stops before…

5lab

you can just run a front mech if you’re trying to do things on the cheap

richcc
    Free Member

How about 1×9 on roadbike?? Thinking about sticking a roadie cassette on the roadrat with a roadie mech. Is some monstrosity at the front still advisable or am I likely to get away with it?

richcc
    Free Member

How about 1×9 on roadbike?? Thinking about sticking a roadie cassette on the roadrat with a roadie mech. Is some monstrosity at the front still advisable or am I likely to get away with it?

Keva
    Free Member

probably be alright on the road without a neat little jump-stop and bashguard. If you feel the urge to ride over catttle grids and drain covers just keep pedaling to tension the chain, that way it won’t fall off.

Kev

rOcKeTdOg

shorten the chain and get a nice lengthed tooth chain ring, no dropped chain for the past 12 months

Renthal + N-Stop by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

the n-stop is coming off too

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner, we’ll have a go with a long toothed chainring; and if I get horribly killed, I’ll rethink the plan!

beargotsoul

Richcc – I run my Roadrat with a XT mech / cassette on the back, only had the chain drop of the front once when going way to fast over some speed bumps. Now looking to put a bigger ring on the front.

singlespeedstu

RD that chainring looks very close to the chainstay. 😕

rOcKeTdOg

Yep it does look close in that pic, the longer teeth help the illusion too, had no issues with it though

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1 x 9 without a chain guide…’ is closed to new replies.