Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 1 x 11/12 on a touring bike?
  • ton

mrs ton has a 2012 surly troll. gears have died.

i have seen some good deals on 1 x 11 xt and 1 x 12 eagle. worth a go?

or try and source some 2 or 3 x stuff

ped

http://gear-calculator.com is your friend. And I reckon an even more important friend for a tourer. If the Missus is used to proper crazy low gears to lug a fully loaded tourer up the hills, then a 1x setup may not cut it, even with a bin lid sized cassette.

trademark
    Free Member

If the bike is for cycle camping I’d be very reluctant to go 1x.
    I’d favour 3x mtb gearing, or at least 2x with something like 44/30 x 11/36.

ton

mrs sits and spins.
    i think a 22/32 front mated with a 12/36 or 40 would suit her better.

thanks.

Waderider
    Free Member

1x on my touring bike over my dead body. I’m not going to explain or reason, it’s just stupid. I run 3 x 10 105 at the moment on the road tourer and 3 x 10 XT on the MTB. 2x might work but that would be the limit and would be a deference of function against modernity and market availability.
    1 x 11 SRAM on my 29er was inferior to either 2x or 3x for my riding (natural trails and mountain routes in the Highlands, with tarmac sections)

ton

1x on my touring bike over my dead body. I’m not going to explain or reason, it’s just stupid.

flippin heck, calm down…… ;o)

it was only because i saw some cheap groupo’s online.

alivio 22/32 rings bought to fit to her deore cranks. a new xt mech and a 11/36 cassette bought too.

will all work with her microshift thumbies. all good

martymac

I use 22/32 at the front, 11-36 rear on 29+ wheels.
    Works fine for bikepacking. I’m a spinner, as i no longer have much strength in my right leg after an accident.
    9spd xt rear mech, over a 10spd cassette, pulled by bar end shifters mounted on top of the bars.
    Works superbly.
    I also, would be hesitant to go 1x on a bike that is ridden fully loaded.
    For a trail bike, I probably would.

molgrips
    Free Member

XT 2×11 is silly cheap. Cranks for like £60! Front mechs a tenner!

whitestone
    Free Member

Tony, here’s a review of Sram Eagle but with a bikepacking slant – http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/sram-eagle-review/http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/sram-eagle-review/ the arguments for and against shouldn’t be too dissimilar for touring.

However, much as I’m a 1x fan, I don’t think I’d go 1x for a touring bike – on the road and especially on a loaded bike you want a good set of close ratios across a wide range. The 1×12 Eagle systems give you the range but not the close ratios.

swanny853

I’d favour 3x mtb gearing, or at least 2x with something like 44/30 x 11/36.

Pretty sure if you put a 40t chainring on a 10-50 cassette you’ll have almost exactly the same gear range as that 2x combination.

I use a ‘big’ mountain bike chainset (28-40) with 10s 11-36 for road-ish touring. There are times when I’d like a bit more at the bottom, but that’s been the case of every drivetrain I’ve ever owned. For touring the range number would be the big thing- how I got there less important.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where as I’m exactly the looopposite of swanny.

I want the right gear. I don’t want to be constantly switching between a gear that’s too high and one that’s too low.

I run deore touring triple 26/36/48 and 11/32 out back . Lots of over lap but equally lots of choice to find the right gear for that bugger of a. Headwind/hill/sore knee you have been battling with for the last 8hours. -and plenty top end to sprint to the next village before the shop shuts.

But then that depends what touring is to you. 4 panniers and crossing the Rockies is a bit different from an over night up the road 20 miles.

ton

22/32 with a 11-36 block. she is a spinner.

aikon
    Free Member

I went 2×10 Deore 28/38 & 11-36 SLX cassette, went for XT hubs, BB and chain. Chain line is better for the gears I use most, I gained two lower gears over the triple I took off, and lost 1 higher gear I rarely used and won’t miss.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘1 x 11/12 on a touring bike?’ is closed to new replies.