• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jonwe.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 1 x 10 with extender in the mud – how's yours holding up?
  • tiredjohn

Just been for a ride for the first time in a couple of weeks to find a whole world of mud has arrived since I last went out.

My 1 x 10 set up is normally tolerable, slow shifts and it tends to skip on 11 tooth cog over rough stuff a bit in okay conditions but otherwise okay. Today though with a thick covering of mud the drive chain pretty much gave up, skipped all over the place on most cogs and took multiple clicks to shift up or down.

Anyone got similar experiences or is your set up mud proof?

Running XT cassette & Chain, One up 42 extender and 16 cog replacement with X9 type 2 medium cage mech

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yesterday I had to wee on my cassette to clear the thick clay gloop that was preventing the mech from shifting cleanly. Much better after that.

At the moment my drive train is lubed with grinding paste. The joys of UK mountain biking 🙂

Northwind

Mine got clogged at the last innerleithen enduro but it wasn’t the cassette, it was the chain, it started lifting off the front ring- I’ve a feeling it’d have been worse with a front mech or chain device on. Range expander or not doesn’t seem to make any difference at the back- can’t think of any real reason why it should tbh

VanHalen

My 1×9 was ok ish. Oh for a light 8sp cassette. I don’t need a load of gears just stuff that works all year round.

tiredjohn

Range expander or not doesn’t seem to make any difference at the back- can’t think of any real reason why it should tbh

Hmm, I wondered if the skipping was to do with having the b screw dialled further out than it would have to be otherwise

Yesterday I had to wee on my cassette to clear the thick clay gloop that was preventing the mech from shifting cleanly. Much better after that.

Therefore I should drink a couple of beers pre-ride yes? 🙂

ibnchris

Absolutely with you van halen. Someone should use the technology of a lightweight 11speed and apply it to 8 speed with a broad range. And make it cheap!

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

Rear is ok on mine, but narrow wide ring on the front throws the chain when muddy, had to empty half my water from my pack on to my drivetrain a few weeks ago, just to get the chain to stay on, there were no puddles nearby, only thick gloop!

julians
    Free Member

I have a shimano xt cassette with the oneup 42 tooth range expander, and running in muddy conditions the shifting deteriorates about the same as it always did without the range expander fitted.

A friend has the one up range expander and the 16 tooth cog that they also supply and he reckons his starts to skip in muddy conditions.

tiredjohn

@oldrigetfasteriwas

Rear is ok on mine

What mech do you have?

dingleberry
    Free Member

Mine’s been brilliant, no problems at all, and it’s all slop around here at the moment. I do brush the dried caked on mud off and give the chain a quick lube before every ride though, with a quick wash once every week or two.

ton

My 1×9 was ok ish. Oh for a light 8sp cassette. I don’t need a load of gears just stuff that works all year round.

good old fashioned 22/32 x 12/36 cassette.

maxtorque

Time for a RAD cage to get back to the correct chain wrap at the back!

My Oneby (with 42 dinnerplate at the back) was just about ok, shift / skip wise when all components were new and clean. As the system wore, it got worse in terms of shifting, and skipped in the smaller gears at the back when very dirty. Fitting the RAD cage, and getting the derailure geo back towards std has made a massive difference!

Suggsey
    Free Member

My 1×9 was fine too…….but if you hadn’t ridden your bike in a couple of weeks I would suggest a sticky cable or slightly stiff few links in the chain when added to mud would cause you exactly the same issues!
    Was tge chain lubed two weeks ago or just before you went out for your ride?

smatkins1
    Free Member

My narrow wide drops the chain when mud builds up around it. That’s partly the tyre’s fault for depositing so much mud on the chainstays.

My 1×10 set up also grinds like a pig once it gets a bit of gritty mud on it.

I don’t go into the extender ring in gritty mud, too expensive.

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

@tiredjohn
    I have a SLX medium cage clutch mech, hope 40t extender, KMC chain and a Zee shifter, XTR cables.
    When I said the rear is ok, it’s still noisy in the mud, but I don’t have bad shifting issues, no worse than the 2×9 set up that went before it anyway.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cracks me up, I do t go to the extender ring when it’s muddy……..its a mountain bike designed for such use as is the kit on it, it’ll take ages to wear out……..mind you never fall off and scratch your frame 😆

ratherbeintobago

narrow wide ring on the front throws the chain when muddy,

I wonder if FSA Megatooth chainrings would be better (designed to do same thing as narrow-wide, but uses a different tooth profile)?

tiredjohn

but if you hadn’t ridden your bike in a couple of weeks I would suggest a sticky cable or slightly stiff few links in the chain when added to mud would cause you exactly the same issues!
    Was tge chain lubed two weeks ago or just before you went out for your ride?

Good thought, lubed a couple of weeks ago although I did give it a spin before going out and it seemed to be okay

I have a SLX medium cage clutch mech,

Seems to be a familiar pattern that those people running most problem free seem to be running shimano in one guise or another with or without rad cage.@dingleberry, which mech are you using? Might be time for me to pull the trigger on a new purchase…

My narrow wide drops the chain when mud builds up around it. That’s partly the tyre’s fault for depositing so much mud on the chainstays.

My NW – Blackspire Snaggletooth has been faultless, not dropped the chain once. I was running a chain device but wasn’t needed. (BTW according to Strava it was you who put mud all over the trails!)

jonwe
    Free Member

Take bike out of shed. Ride through mud until knackered. Hose bike down. Put bike in shed. Single speed. It’s great.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 with extender in the mud – how's yours holding up?’ is closed to new replies.