Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 1 x 10 to 40/42t casstte sprocket and this thick thin gubbins?
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

So the Nomad is currently set up as 1 x 10 with 34t and a 11-36 Sram XG1080 cassette and quite frankly im not fit enough for a 1 x 10 set up and I’m loathed to put a front mech on it. In fact anything steeper than a flat fire road would probably kill me right now.

As either way I’m going to have to change the chain ring for something smaller so I can attempt climbing (urg) I was wondering as I have an X0 clutch mech and have absolutely mullered the plastics on the chain device, and thus need replacing, whether I should try this thick thin gubbins and ditch the chain device completely.

Must have been under a rock when all the posts about this new fangled wizardry occurred. Can I just change the chain ring and chain and keep the same cassette?

Also can I shove one of these dinner plate sized sprockets on the back of the cassette and effectively have a granny gear?

Apologies I did search but there is so many vaguely not quite answering the question posts I gave up and was lazy. Please don’t wee in my bombers.

Ta.

rumple
    Free Member

With the narrow/wide chainrings and clutch mech there will be no need for a chain device, the 40/42 sprockets only work with 36 tooth cassettes so that shouldn’t be a problem. You don’t HAVE to change the cassette when replacing the chainring and chain but it is recommended. I’d personally go for a 32tooth chainring and have a hope 40tooth t-rex and loose your 11 tooth smaller cog.

hope this helps.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I’m running a narrow/wide ring with no chain guide or owt, and a regular X5 rear mech. Only dropped the chain once so far, and that was when I was ploughing through 12 inches of clay goop and probably kicked it off or something.

Would you need at 40/42T sprocket though? 30T up front, 11-36 on the back, might be enough?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The cassette has so little wear use that I doubt it or the chain have worn in to each other yet to be honest.

Does the narrow / wide rings require a specific chain? Or can you just use a standard 10speed?

Would rather not get rid of the 11 speed as I don’t want to be spinning out with 32t chainring as I use the Nomad for DH a bit. I’ve seen mention of removing the 17t sprocket on Shimano XTR cassettes is this similar for the SRAM – i.e. removing whichever isn’t on the carrier?

Ta.

EDIT: Not sure whether I need a 40T rear, I’m rubbish at spinning / climbing either way. Being a lazy DH’er who shuttles all the time has its disadvantages! 😛

chiefgrooveguru

I’d personally go for a 32tooth chainring and have a hope 40tooth t-rex and loose your 11 tooth smaller cog.

32:40 = 80%
    32:13 = 246%

30:36 = 83%
    30:11 = 273%

If you add a big sprocket (40 or 42) and take off the 11 tooth cog you are making your gear range narrower, not wider – maths fail!

Current gearing is:

34:36 = 94%
    34:11 = 309%

Add a 40 and remove one of the middle cogs (I see Oneup include a 16t with shift ramps with their 40 & 42 cogs) and you get:

34:40 = 85%
    34:11 = 309%

or with a 32t

32:40 = 80%
    32:11 = 291%

I’m running 34t 11:36 on my bikes and it is hard work (especially on the 27.5) – good incentive to get out often enough to maintain the fitness but if life prohibits that then broadening the gear range is the way to go!

julians
    Free Member

You just use a standard 10 speed chain with a narrow wide chainring.

Dont get rid of the 11 tooth sprocket, thats just reducing your range.

I just switched to a 32 tooth front narrow wide chain ring, and added a 42 tooth one up rear sprocket, and got rid of the 17 tooth sprocket (as per the one up website advice).

It works ok, shifting is not as good as before, but its acceptable.

rumple
    Free Member

ye my bad, remove the 17 tooth. 😳

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Not going to be able to remove any of the sprockets by the looks of things as the XG1080 looks like its all steel pins holding it together rather than individual sprockets. I’ll have to drop it off the free hub to check however…

hofnar
    Free Member

Happy hippy, give the steel pins a small nudge with a sharp object and a hammer and they often let loose, problem solved

gavstorie
    Free Member

i saw a post the other day that someone was making a 16 tooth ring.. The theory is that you remove the 15 and 17 and fit a 16 along with a 42..

This smooths out the steps slightly and gives you the dinner place granny 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 to 40/42t casstte sprocket and this thick thin gubbins?’ is closed to new replies.