Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • 1 week in the Lake District in May…. No bikes…
  • the_lecht_rocks

Looking good outside Gaynors ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Agree that Helvellyn and Blencathra round the edges are hard to beat. Closer to home, I think the ascent of Wetherlam from Tilberthwaite is an oft missed classic with an unmarked descent down the obvious ridge that points straight down to Tilberthwaite. If weather is crap, the loop around Hidge Close is nice with a retreat into the Three Shires pub. Agree with Grum, Jacks Rake does catch a few out, there is one exposed bit about 2/3 of the way up.

For value The Outgate pub is a change from the better, but more expensive Drunken Duck.

Are you swimmers with wetsuit? If you are in Duddon Valley on way to Hardknott, have a quick swim in the little gorge by Birk’s Bridge

trevh
    Free Member

Hardknott pass if you have balls of steel with a rear wheel drive

the_lecht_rocks

Brilliant stuff….. More please ???

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looking good outside Gaynors ?

😀 I dont think you can fail in an mx5 with the top down!

If you smash it over hardknott, you could always have a bash on the larl ratty, have a look round muncaster castle, go back to eskdale and then have a drive back over birker fell (nice run), down the ulpha valley, over wrynose and back to Conistown.

Edit, or go right sorry, left then right after Birker and take on the Blacksmiths arms as per one of those other suggestions.

themoodster
    Free Member

Golden Rule in Ambleside

Wrynose and Hardknott Pass

Scafell Pike, Helvellyn, Fairfield Horseshoe

trevh
    Free Member

Whatever you do whether its driving or walking or swimming you’ll be grinning from ear to ear all week hope its dry for you as our mx5 is a pig in the wet specially if you try to hoof it you don’t want to end. Up in a lake.

Sanny
    Free Member

Ullswater west side for a walk and return via the Steamer with a wee libation on the on board bar.

Fairfield Horseshoe is ace.

Zeffirellis for great food and a film.

Th Giggling Goose is grand for coffee.

Striding Edge for a bit of scrambling fun.

Rowing boat mellowness on Derwent Water.

Cat Bells for a relatively short walk with cracking views. Castle Crag is lovely too.

Hard knott and Wrynose would be great in the Mazda. We had a Eunos Roadster which was a hoot to drive on the Lake roads.

The cinema in Keswick is an old fashioned classic and well worth a visit. Abrahams does great sticky toffee pudding while Casa Bella up the road does terrific ice cream.

Coniston Old Man is a classic walk too.

Honistor Via Ferrata is also worth the price of admission.

There is loads to do though you will wish you had the bike!!!!

Sanny
    Free Member

Oh and I forgot Blencathra. Some cracking ascent options to be had while the footpath off of Skiddaw is brilliant.

Cheers

Sanny

clubber
    Free Member

Ghyll scrambling is fantastic

http://www.ghyllscrambling.co.uk/

parkesie
    Free Member

Gorge walking at conniston take spare clothes and shoes

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Used to live in Grange over Sands

That would make you a retiree then, and there’s only one way out.

Are you sure you’re not dead?

My grandparents lived there, happy memories of bringing the average age of the town down with my brothers whilst galavanting up and down Hampsfell. 🙂

Recently “discovered” Bleaberry Fell for an amazingly quite walk with brill views. Never seen more than 2 other people up there. Needs to be dry though to enjoy the walk.

the_lecht_rocks

spot on folks – some gems in amongst all that – will put together an itinerary ASAP….

any more for any more 🙂

thanks again !

thestabiliser
    Free Member

‘Chesters’* GRRRRRR please be aware that their dress code is lemon/salmon poloshirt with contrasting lemon/salmon sweater over your shoulders to be accesorised with a gleaming 4×4 and children called sebastian and Ptolomy and be prepared to follow the missus round their overpriced unnecessary acoutriment purveyory nodding while she picks stuff up she has absolutely no intention of buying and demands you have some kind of opinion on it then you can drive to the next simalr location and pay afurther £40 for two coffees and a sandwich before taking a tour of someone elses house who died a hundred years ago who wrote some books you couldn’t give a monkeys about and get charged £15 a head for the privelege of looking a collection of stuff that wasn’t even theirs to begin with but just bought by some bearded clot who thinks its evocative of the kind of ironing board that they actually may or may not have had then you can go out to dinner to some pubmaster owned hovel where the carpet sticks to your feet and condiments are served in sachets and the chef is some scouse adolescent in hiding from the probation service……..IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT? IS IT????!!!!!

Take your bike.

*applies equally to many lake district facilities for

the_lecht_rocks

^^^

you should be renamed destabiliser mukka……

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ta,

more constructively: being based in coniston you could spend the week hoying bits of scrap cars in to hodge close, most therapeutic.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

more constructively: being based in coniston you could spend the week hoying bits of scrap cars in to hodge close, most therapeutic.

😆

Those orange Kankku vehicles look like the ideal vehicle for this. Most of the people that drive them don’t seem to have much in the way of a brain either. All you’ll have to do is tell em there’s another overpriced supply of coffee and soup and unlimted bits of shaped slate, and they’ll drive themselves over the edge.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If its glorious weather, another option is to drive to barrow and buy loads of disposable bbq’s, empty crates of fosters and half eaten packs of burgers from aldi.

Then drive up to coniston and dump them all along the shore line. It’ll make it feel like summer’s come early.

matttromans
    Free Member

As mentioned above, Hardknott Pass is a must! Brilliant fun driving up it, and the road on the western side of it is amongst the most beautiful ribbons of tarmac in the country! Will be great fun in an MX5! I don’t know what level of hill walking you’re into, but Cat Bells is a nice walk.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Agreed. Barrow is a must see. Get a tetanus shot though.

Underrated Lakes bits within easy striking distance of coniston(and hence quieter)

Black Coombe
    Dunnerdales/duddon valley (see stevestunts post)
    Ennerdale (alright frickin miles away but ace)
    Eskdale – the foresty bit with the dilapidated japanese garden – and go the ratty cos it’s funny being on a tiny train (steer clear of the train station pub though in ravenglass, it’s cack)

Eateries

Conishead priory (veggy so you’ll have to smuggle a slice of ham in, but pleasant gardens too) soup and baguette £5!
    The newish place between high sawrey and the ferry gastropub type gubbins but very good
    Blacksmiths Broughton Mills

If you don’t go to the ship inn and chip shop at greenodd I’ll hunt you down and kill you

the_lecht_rocks

Greenodd – gateway to the Mosses road where I learnt to drive [FAST] and near where Andy Biketreks had his original rental business 🙂

Served my apprenticeship in Barrow – Wonder how much it’s changed………..?

the_lecht_rocks

Greenodd – gateway to the Mosses road where I learnt to drive [FAST] and near where Andy Biketreks had his original rental business 🙂

Served my apprenticeship in Barrow – Wonder how much it’s changed………..?

labsey
    Free Member

Steamers on Ullswater, Walk back to Glenridding from Howtown and have a pint in the Ratcher’s.

the_lecht_rocks

Not long now, this weekend…… Anymore ideas ?

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘1 week in the Lake District in May…. No bikes…’ is closed to new replies.