Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1" or 1 1/8" headset question
  • sniggletrack
    Free Member

I’m looking to run a fork with a 1″ steerer on my Kona Caldera, which used to have a 1 1/8″ headset. I’ve got the 1 1/8″ headset but what do I need to fit the fork? Are there spacers/reducers similar to the ones for 1.5″ to 1 1/8″? Do I need a new 1″ headset and would that fit straight into the Kona’s headtube?
    Cheers.

IA

A 1″ headset wouldn’t fit the kona. Reducers probably exist.

But why!? What’s the fork that’s so great you can’t bear to get rid?

sniggletrack
    Free Member

I’m building the bike up into a winter commute/trash bike and one that I don’t mind getting nicked when I go to buy the milk – so it’s being built cheap as chips with whatever I can get! I know it sounds like scrooge but £30 is too much for a disc fork for this project – oh and needs to take 700c wheels too!
    Haven’t actually got the fork yet

ampthill

I don’t think that a 1″ fork will be cheap or easy to find….

warpcow
    Free Member

For the cost of headsets and reducers, you could just have one of these:

Ebay linky

I’ve had one on my hack bike for a few months now and it hasn’t spontaneously combusted or anything (yet).

If you hunt around on ebay you can probably find a better overall price/postage ratio too.

oxym0r0n

I think you’ll struggle to run 700c wheels too, unless you get (expensive) adapters or run discs

ampthill

Ebay link

1 1/8 road forks for a tenner. You’ll need road brakes but I’m sure they can be found cheaply

mustard
    Free Member

I seriously abused one of those ebay Mosso forks for a year or so on my singlespeed winter bike and I’m still alive!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘1" or 1 1/8" headset question’ is closed to new replies.