Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 1 man tent options ….
  • Mounty_73

I am looking at one man tents/hoop bivi shelters etc.

Does anyone have a Zephyros 1?

Any others worth looking at?

fannybaws
    Free Member

Got a snugpak ionosphere in its box at the moment. Looks good but not used it yet.

peterfile
    Free Member

Does anyone have a Zephyros 1

I had a Zephyros 2…for a day before I took it back (size issues, not the quality).

It’s far too small for 2 people, but the 1 person isn’t much smaller and the tent itself is actually rather well thought out and put together.

What’s your budget?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mounty_73

I have a budget of around £150, (£200 at the very max).

Also looking at the Rab hooped bivi’s

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I have a Vango Banshee 200 thats fairly decent, nice and light and easy to carry. It says its a 2 man but only sleeps 1 comfortably.

Mounty_73

I have a Vango Banshee 200 thats fairly decent, nice and light and easy to carry. It says its a 2 man but only sleeps 1 comfortably.

That’s what I had before, but its old and knackered, had it for about 8 years and it was very good! 🙂

jamiep
    Free Member

have you seen the new Zephyros Lite?

peterfile
    Free Member

I’d be looking at something like this Terra Nova Laser Competition

0.87kg
    3 Season
    Proven design/quality
    Easy and quick to pitch
    Did I mention it was 0.87kg? 😉

Something like the Laser competition is lighter than a hooped bivvy and a far nicer place to spend time. Getting dressed or sorting out kit in a bivvy is harder and if the weather is rubbish it can be a frustrating place to spend 8 hours or more.

Mounty_73

have you seen the new Zephyros Lite?

No, I will google that now 🙂

HTTP404
    Free Member

I have a Vango Banshee 200 and Coleman Rigel X2 for sale.
    Both used just the once. 🙂

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Mounty, I’ve a Force 10 Helium 100 for sale. More stable and easier to pitch than a TN or WC. 😉

Not had much use – £125 if you’re interested.

qwerty
    Free Member

I have a Coleman Rigel X2 which is perfect in size, weight, pitch time… but, it’s horrendous for condensation inside, even with the door left open (could be the sea mist). I’d be interested in anything similar in a breatheable material.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I liked the idea of the Topeak Bikamper until someone pointed out that if you want to go to the pub you have to take your tent apart. 😕

glupton1976
    Free Member

I wouldnt be looking at any of the stupid light terra nova competition tents. Yes they are light, but they have no allowances for wear and tear built in.

peterfile
    Free Member

Unless I’m missing something here, that looks crap?

Is the silver part the fly sheet? If so, it would seem pretty useless if there is rain + wind.

The waterproofing standard of the floor and fly is way below what other tents in the same price range offer, 2,500mm is low for a 3 season tent. Even the Laser Competition i posted above, which is an ultralight race tent, has DOUBLE the waterproof capability of this.

It weighs more than a normal 1 man tent (and double the weight of tents like the Laser Competition, which are twice as waterproof), so no weight saving, despite not using poles and having crap waterproofing and only half a fly sheet.

There doesn’t appear to be anything supporting the bike, which would be great in wind or if someone decides to walk into it/kick it in a campsite.

Apparently it won “best of the best” in 2005. I’d have perhaps given it “best tent which isn’t actually a tent but is sort of a thing that hangs over your bike a little bit”. It seems pretty pointless when you could just buy an proper tent?

Or buy a bivvy bag/mossie net and sling a tarp over your bike?

Mounty_73

Both used just the once.

Mounty, I’ve a Force 10 Helium 100 for sale. More stable and easier to pitch than a TN or WC.

Not had much use – £125 if you’re interested.

Thanks for the offer guys but I am looking for something other than a vango for a change 🙂

The Force 10 does look like a good tent….

fazzini

Both used just the once.

Are these still for sale HTTP404??

mccann.ben
    Free Member

I know plenty of peopl that use a Zephros 2 as a one man tent. Pretty roomy.
    A mate owns a Lazer Comp and is happy but I don’t like the pole sleeve protector thingy.
    I have a Force 10 Helium 100. Highly reccomend!

Mounty_73

On the Force 10 Helium 100 is it possible to just pitch the outer?

As on my old Vango Banshee the pole goes through the inner.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

1 man you say?

A basha & a bivi bag.

peterfile
    Free Member

1 man you say?

A basha & a bivi bag.

I love bivvying (especially in winter when the stars are out), but modern tents are just as light as carrying a bivvy and tarp, but have a few advantages which can make or break a trip which is plagued by bad weather or midges/clegs/ticks.

29erKeith
    Free Member

+1 terranova laser comp

light (900g-ish), but not stupidly light e.g. the ultra light 500g-ish one

mines years old and had dozens of outings and still going strong.
    Mark Beaumont’s travelled all over the the world with one

29erKeith
    Free Member

1-2 nights Bivy

much longer and a tent will be a world apart in comfort

Mounty_73

I have a bivi/tarp, but sometimes a tent just gives that little bit extra! 😉

daleftw
    Free Member

Why people want to save grams on tents is beyond me.

The Zephyros tents are light because they are tiny.

peterfile
    Free Member

Why people want to save grams on tents is beyond me.

I subscribe to the same logic…for the most part. Sometimes it’s not just saving a few grams.

I’ve got a 4.5kg Super Quasar which has been used every weekend for the last couple of years, it’s been pitched everywhere from sunny campsites a few feet from the car, to the top of Scottish mountains in the middle of winter.

However, it reached a point this year when we wanted to do some bigger multi day routes with more adventurous summit camps. Add in 60m of rope and a full rack to your already meaty kit and you soon find the weights are on the wrong side of doable for big routes.

I finally bought the bullet and picked up a sub 2kg tent (4 season, but won’t use for summit stuff in winter) and some lighter weight bags (I tend to use my winter bag all year round). We’ve instantly shaved between 4-5kg off of our pack weight.

That means being able to carry more food, water, climbing equipment or just covering more ground more quickly.

But yeah, for car campers who are lugging the tent for a few hundred yards at most, I don’t see the benefit of a lightweight tent.

Absolutely. I bought one, pitched it in the lounge, laughed, took it back to the shop 🙂

Voyagers aren’t much better despite their popularity.

Pyro

Jack Wolfskin Gossamer’s a possibility, a little bit heavy for what it is, but cheap.

daleftw
    Free Member

peterfile – Member

I subscribe to the same logic…for the most part. Sometimes it’s not just saving a few grams.

I’ve got a 4.5kg Super Quasar which has been used every weekend for the last couple of years, it’s been pitched everywhere from sunny campsites a few feet from the car, to the top of Scottish mountains in the middle of winter.

However, it reached a point this year when we wanted to do some bigger multi day routes with more adventurous summit camps. Add in 60m of rope and a full rack to your already meaty kit and you soon find the weights are on the wrong side of doable for big routes.

I finally bought the bullet and picked up a sub 2kg tent (4 season, but won’t use for summit stuff in winter) and some lighter weight bags (I tend to use my winter bag all year round). We’ve instantly shaved between 4-5kg off of our pack weight.

That means being able to carry more food, water, climbing equipment or just covering more ground more quickly.

But yeah, for car campers who are lugging the tent for a few hundred yards at most, I don’t see the benefit of a lightweight tent.

Absolutely. I bought one, pitched it in the lounge, laughed, took it back to the shop

Voyagers aren’t much better despite their popularity.

2kg is about a sane weight. Mine is 1.7kg, I think, and it’s massive compared to these sub 1.5kg nylon coffins. Cost me £100.

rocket
    Free Member

To answer the OP, I have a Zephyros 1. It was cheap and is a good, solid, reasonably light (1.5kg IIRC) and stable 1 man tent. I like that its made more robust (although heavier) than the Lasers. Its seen some strong wind and heavy rain and been faultless. However, it IS small. I’m 6’2 and at the limit of its size – kind of wished I’d gone for the Z2. Thinking about it, I should just flog the Z1 and go for a Z2! If anyones interested in a Z1, drop me a mail. I won’t sell it to anyone over 6′ though 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

2kg is about a sane weight. Mine is 1.7kg, I think, and it’s massive compared to these sub 1.5kg nylon coffins. Cost me £100.

Aye, but it is difficult to get under 2kg for a tent which is roomy AND 4 season.

Mine is plenty roomy for the weight, it’s been great so far (Lightwave T2 Ultra, basically the lightweight version of the Trek series)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

On the Force 10 Helium 100 is it possible to just pitch the outer?

Yes, the pole sleeve is in the fly. Inner just clips in / out.

spandex_bob

Laser Photon – fine for one, cosy for two. Surprisingly durable having done lots of mountain marathons as well as extended bike touring trips. Not bad in wind, quick to pitch and only 780g. 1g titanium pegs are pretty cack though. Occasionaly pop up cheap in the Terra Nova sale section on their website.

scotroutes

No love for the Scarp 1 here then? It’s a proper size, properly weatherproof and less than 1.5Kg, very flexible pitching and dual vestibules for storage AND cooking under cover.

Not in the OPs budget though, unless he’s lucky enough to pick one up 2nd hand 😉

wl
    Free Member

My Terra Nova Voyager Superlite is cavernous for one, and has slept two average sized blokes easily enough with kit in the porch. Weighs around 1.5kg. Needs the seams sealing after purchase and isn’t cheap. Macpac Microlights are supposed to be very good for one – not massively light though.

peterfile
    Free Member

No love for the Scarp 1 here then? It’s a proper size, properly weatherproof and less than 1.5Kg, very flexible pitching and dual vestibules for storage AND cooking under cover.

Not in the OPs budget though, unless he’s lucky enough to pick one up 2nd hand

I love the Scarp, but let’s be honest, it’s not exactly readily available! 🙂

scandalous
    Free Member

shangrila 3 – strickoy speaking a 3 person tent but as light as a ‘typica’ 1 man.

acres of room and headspace so you can cook inside whilst sorting out repairs and allsorts!

daft expansive new but keep a look out on ebay as you never know!

daleftw
    Free Member

Cheap – Light – Durable

Pick two.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘1 man tent options ….’ is closed to new replies.