Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 1 days riding, mid Wales…… probably something waymarked/trail centre type…
  • lardman
    Free Member

I was planning to ride Penmachno/Marin, but i’ve done them many times before.

We need to stay more mid Wales really, as we have to drive down to Afan at the end of the day. So, ideally around 2hrs drive away from Afan. I have also ridden Brechfa many times too, so maybe not there again.

Nant Yr Arian is somewhere i’ve been looking at. Looks the right length @35k but i’m wondering about the technical nature of the trail. I want something tech and rocky preferably, and not a ‘Llandegla’ style gravel motorway.

What else might fit the bill in the region?

Any tips/suggestions welcomed.
    Ta.

toby1

Mac?

😳 A bit more North than I though!

jekkyl

Some sort of mountain perhaps, I’m sure there’s one in the area 😉

faustus

Just do Nant, the trails are not motorways at all and are great fun, and the long route has a fair bit of rocky doubletrack. Failing that then take yourself up Cadair Idris and back (might be a bit far). Might be the one jekkyl is referring to..?

lardman
    Free Member

@jekkyl
    I appreciate the pureism about mountains, i actually do…..
    BUT

probably something waymarked/trail centre type…

Mach is another option, as the final descent on CLimachx is supposed to be very good. Although if you go on the Dyfi site, it also appears to be CLOSED! It’s also not really a very long trail.

So maybe i’ll just stick to Nant.

dan45a
    Free Member

Depends where you are staying in mid Wales but hopton woods is a good route and not far over the border..

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/EnglandHerefordshireTheMarchesHoptonWood

jekkyl

I was referring to mount snowdon and that’s waymarked …. UP /\ AND DOWN \/ 😉 although I take your point, I was being flippant.

Nick

Something involving the Doethie Valley.

lardman
    Free Member

@dan45a
    Thats great thanks. Didn’t know about that place.

lardman
    Free Member

@jekkyl
    I have just realised the Snowdon restrictions don’t come in for another two weeks, so that might be an option. Although i’m not sure we’ll be able to get that far north in the time we have available.

@nick, i’ll look into Doethie valley…..
    Ta.

faustus

Doethie Valley is fabulous. Route finding is straightforward with a map, but not meaningfully signposted though and a wrong turn would lead you astray. You could also go closer to Afan and look at the many routes in the Brecon Beacons…

lardman
    Free Member

Having looked at it, Doethie looks perfect TBH. We’ll do that in the morning and Brechfa in the PM.
    Cheers all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘1 days riding, mid Wales…… probably something waymarked/trail centre type…’ is closed to new replies.