1 by for cross

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 1 by for cross
  • ferrals

Getting excited by cx already. I’m sticking with 2×11 for now as I believe i need the range, but slighty curious about 1 by if we have a really mucky winter.  To go 1 by is it as simple as removing front mech and cable and putting a chainring on or do you have to do anything to the front sti shifter (shimano 105 hydraulic). Obivously fitting a NW chainring too.

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

I don’t know about what is required for conversion to 1x, although my son made the change on his mountain bike, but I do know that many of the CX bikes I’ve been looking at online recently come with 1x off the peg.

SRAM’s various set-ups seem to be especially popular.

On that basis, I would assume that the range provided is generally seen as sufficient.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

Just remove the bits and put a NW on for security. I also increase the spring tension on the rear mech on my 10 speed set up – I presume the same can be done to 11 speed mechs.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

Ps. I use a 40t chainring and 11-32 cassette

pdw

I think SRAM is more popular for 1x as they do a shifter-less left hand lever (or you can remove the shifter from a 2x lever) and have direct mount chainrings and clutched road rear mechs.  I think Shimano have finally caught up on that last one.

I have 32 / 11-32, which seems to be quite low compared to most people but it works for me.  If I was doing it again I might go 36 / 11-36, not so much for the higher top end, but because I think for CX bigger gaps between gears could be a good thing.

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

105 mech with stiff spring setting and a NW was enough for me racing a 10sp bike, but wasn’t as reliable on 11sp – I lost the chain a couple of times with big gear changes [e.g. down a hill straight into up a hill] and had to fit a jumpstop.

Don’t know if it was down to 10 v 11 sp, or small changes in chainline / geometry between the two bikes. Both CAADXs but separated by a few years and there are some differences.

ferrals

Cheers all, I know SRAM is more popular as they make full 1 by specific groupsets, but I’m not shelling out for a new groupset. Just idly thinking really. my ‘pit bike’ AKA commuter for most of the year is increasingly knackered so I think I’ll be on one bike only for next season. I prefer having a front mech but I can see thsat with one bike, removing as much mud clooging apparatus as possible would be good!

Premier Icon tiim
    Subscriber

I now have 2 bikes set up as 1x for cross, they are both 2 x 11 shimano 105 groupsets, all I did was swap the chainrings for superstar narrow wide ones and shorten the chain as much as possible.

Last season I dropped my chain twice in 20 something races, both were on courses with massive mud build up and saw lots of DNFs due to wrecked rear mechs and chain crunches so I’m not not fussed about that drop rate.

You’ll be fine simply removing mech and cable. I’ve left the ‘spare’ shifter as is not caused an issues.

scud

Remember there is an Ultegra clutch rear mech now so hopefully fewer dropped chains, may be worth the upgrade if racing…

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/4540/shimano-launches-new-ultegra-rx-clutch-rear-derailleur

shedbrewed

Hey Ferrals. I’ve been 1x for cx for 4 seasons now and no real issues. With shimano 10sp road rear dr you can do a spring tension mod in about 10 minutes that really improves chain staying on. Not sure on 11sp but I also ended up running an mtb rear dr. I was 38T ring and 11-28 block. Am now 39T and 11-34 but don’t like the drop from 13-11 on the back so will likely replace with a 12T cog. Hardly ever spin out in a race. Only one I remember was off the line when we raced at Ammanford trottting track and first section was a lap of the gravel oval.

I’ve considered going 2x to try and prevent rear dr munching. Still not sure as I only had it happen once and that was after last years bryn Bach race riding from pits to bike wash!

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Was a lot of 1x in the Wessex last year, and I don’t remember seeing any dropped chains.

I was running a normal compact and just left it in the 34, as my bike doies dual (well, triple) duty. Would like a specific race bike, and it’d be 1x with a 36 or 38 if I get it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘1 by for cross’ is closed to new replies.