Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1/4 inch Wheel Bearings and Grease
  • dynamiccoins
    Free Member

I need to replace the rear wheel bearings on my son’s Vitus. They’re loose 1/4 inch.

There are these on Amazon, but I want to make sure I get good quality ones. Any recommendations on which to buy?

Weldtite Ball Bearings and Grease https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0063HI22M/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_SMC4GCAR3M047QY8HN8Y

Also I have bog standard grease I use on the bike. Would it be ok or should I get something more specific?

Cheers

reggiegasket
    Free Member

they’ll be fine. With loose ball bearing hubs the key is how often you serviced them, not the materials you use.

SJS has the higher quality stainless balls, should you want them, and Silkolene grease is great stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dynamiccoins
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I’ll go with one of those.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

SJS has a tub of 200 Weldtite balls for £6 so if you intend to do this regularly, then that’s could be a cheaper option.

phil258
    Free Member

I’ve used Weldtite bearings, in numerous sizes, many times. Funnily enough, I’ve used them on 4 wheels this week! They work very well. To be fair, as does the TF2 grease they come with. Yes, you can get ‘better’ – both bearings and grease – but as @reggiegasket says, it’s as much about service intervals, cup/cone tightening etc. as much as anything else.

Re: grease – I now use Mobil XHP 222 marine grease. Seems to work very well at repelling the inevitable water/grime/salt combo…

In the end, I bought this:

As it was more cost effective over several wheels.

FYI, the Park Tools vid. on cup/cone tightening tips is v. good and well worth a watch…

All the best with it.

dynamiccoins
    Free Member

Thanks. I ordered the grade 10 from simplybearings and some Mobil XHP 222.

I’ve already had them apart and the bearings on the freehub side were discoloured so they definitely need replacing.

Getting it all back together was ok but the tightening is interesting so I’ll check out the Park Tools vid.

montgomery
    Free Member

Clamping the freehub end of the axle in a vice makes it much easier making small adjustments to the non-drive side. Worth buying a small vice just for that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.