• This topic has 18 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by timc.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 1-2 hr mtb near Bolton FC?
  • Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have a morning free before needing to be at Bolton Football club for an afternoon

It’s not an area I know at all, can anyone recommend an off road ride near by ?

I’m travelling up there anyhow so can be with 10 miles etc.

Thanks

Premier Icon Greybeard

Does you mean Bolton Wanderers, next to M61 J6? Rivington is 4km North of there, lots to ride. If you can say what kind of riding you’re looking for I’m sure some of the regulars will recommend routes.

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes Bolton Wanderers stadium

Cross country type riding I guess

Thanks

Premier Icon duncancallum

Rivington.

5min away loads of trails. Yours truly did the classic loop around Rivington for the mag.

I used to live at the bottom of wilderswood

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

5min away loads of trails.

Is it a way marked area or just follow your nose? There look to be a few BW’s but I imagine that’s not the best stuff ?

Premier Icon sing1etrack

I did a couple of enjoyable night rides round Rivi when I was working down there in November and found loads to ride, even when looking in the dark. Have a look on strava and trailforks and if you see something that looks like a trail it probably is, though the ruins/terraces/steps are a no-go for riding I believe.

Premier Icon markgraylish
    Free Member

The “San Marino” descent from the Winter Hill TV mast (on Trailforks) used to be the go-to trail when I rode there (but that was 15+years ago!)

There’s plenty of other STW regulars who ride in that area here, so someone should be able to provide more current advice

Premier Icon duncancallum

There’s loads about I’d use strava heat maps, the issue with San Marino it’s a long way back to the good stuff.

Premier Icon MadBillMcMad
    Free Member

just had a quick play with strava route creation.

I’ve accidentally saved it as a run but don’t worry about that.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2989291967439922190 — Quick rivi play

San Marino is great but too far the other side if you only have 2 hours

Free Member

San Marino is great but too far the other side if you only have 2 hours

Agreed but the OP has a car and if he is willing to drive 15 minutes, he could end his day with a good descent, though I’m not sure where you’d park over that side…

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks all – MadBill – thanks for the effort on that, but I would prefer to drive to quieter areas and ride, there appears to be a lot of road in that, and some very busy road to start with !

I have found this flattyres route which looks reasonable. I think I will just do the southern loop of this… unless someone tells me its a bad idea?

https://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/lancashire-mtb-routes/rivington-pike/#:~:text=This%20mountain%20bike%20route%20of,trails%20in%20Healey%20Nab%20woods.

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I did most of the southern loop, have to say it wasn’t what I was expecting.

Flat wide open tracks winding through the park and a climb up to the top

I assume there are some nice singletrack bits somewhere, but I couldn’t see them ?

In theory I could go again tomorrow afternoon but really don’t think it’s worth the effort unless someone can point out some wonderful riding I missed ?

Free Member

In theory I could go again tomorrow afternoon but really don’t think it’s worth the effort unless someone can point out some wonderful riding I missed ?

How far are you prepared to drive and how much time do you actually have available? And where do you normally ride?
    You may be better off looking further afield…

Premier Icon beer247

Park in the witches tower car park, take the right hand track and go through the gate and follow your nose you’ll come to a fork, take the left hand fork and follow the track ignoring a left turn, you’ll start to head up and come up to a gate, head through the gate onto Belmont Rd and turn left follow the road for a short distance until you see another gate on your right, go through the gate and follow the track upto the pike, take in the view then head down the descent on the other side back down to to the main track, head along the track and you’ll pass a dog kennel place on the left, keep going and you should come to another track/path on your left, head up the track until you come to the winter hill access road, follow the road until you get to the radio masts. San Marino is through a gate on your right if you want to ride it but you will have to push/ride back up or loop round on the road at the bottom back to the car (missing some Fun stuff). Head back down the access road and there’s a track on your right, follow the track – you should see a stone cairn, the track starts to head down (it’s fast) and there’s a few little drops towards the bottom, it will drop you out by the dog kennels. Turn back onto the Belmont Rd and follow the road until you see the pigeon tower on your left, head past the tower – this will take you back down to the car park – the last section is called the “ice cream run” and is fast and very rocky!

I’m sure that others will have comments but that was my go to route for a 1.5 hour blast – not ridden there for years so things may have changed!

Premier Icon nbt

If you want singletrack riding, you could ride a few laps of Healey Nab?

Healey Nab

This will take up up to do the Ice cream Run then back past the car and over to Healey Nab (turn left at the far northern point and clumb up to Healy Ban, trails are in the woods on on rider’s right

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40469862

If I were riding with you I could show you bits and pieces to the south of the Pike, over towards Wilderswood where Dunc lived, but I’ve not ridden there in so long I can’t recall the tralis well enough to mark them up on a map – I’djust have to ride and follow my nose as I recognised each bit and realised which way to turn

edit – the route I posted is a cut down version of the flat tyres route

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for the further input.

I was thinking Healey Nab

I’ve got to be at the football ground for 7 ish and travelling up from Shropshire I may as well go lunchtime to avoid Friday afternoon rush hour.

Even 1hr playing about at Healey looks reasonable. Ta

Premier Icon timc
    Free Member

Wish Id been here earlier to tell you that southern loop would be crap, and to make it worse, you pass a load of good stuff doing it.

What time are you riding this afternoon? I could possibly take you round the good stuff.

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

@timc sorry missed your message driving up from Shropshire

I ended up going to Healey Nab, there was some nice stuff if a little hard to follow the correct routes

Finished with a pint at Rivington Brewery

Premier Icon timc
    Free Member

No danger, drop me a DM if you’re coming up again, I can take you around or send you the location of the best bits, or a strata route.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.