Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • ’07 FOX DHX Air 5.0
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Anyone got any thoughts/opinions on the above shock – preferably from having actually owned/ridden one.

I’m considering one as a replacement for the X-Fusion shock on my Pitch, as they’re pretty damm cheap from Mojo.

Cheers ears’

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve got one.

Works well, the adjustments make a difference though you do need to understand how the shock works to get the best from it. What else do you want to know?

steve_b77
    Free Member

That pretty much sums it up.

Any reliability issues since you’ve had yours?

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve only done a few rides on mine so I can’t really comment on that other than to say none so far. Before I bought it, I did check on t’web and didn’t find consistent horror stories so figured that they’re unlikely to be any worse than other shocks. As for all Fox shocks, there’s the possibility of the shock air leaking into the negative chamber locking it down.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

That problem has bin sorted with a new style seal- which i’m sure mojo/fox would have fitted b4 supplying

loddrik
    Free Member

try mtbr, loads of reviews, not all positive

chakaping
    Free Member

Wasn’t fond of the way it worked on my 575. Bit wallowy, even with max propedal.

It may work better on a Pitch, since it’s a more neutral suspension system.

I’d be looking for an RP2 or Float R if I were in your position though.

mildred

Had a Dhx4 & 2 Dhx5’s and have never had any issues with them. I’ve heard horror stories but never experienced them. Pretty much fit and forget compared to Manitou in my experience.

Tracey

3 DHX5’s in our house with no problems

mboy
    Free Member

What size do you need? I have a 2007 200×50 DHX5 air for sale that’s only 6 rides old if you’re interested?

Incidentally, got a DHX Air on my Reign X too, seems a pretty good shock. Last bike had a DHX5 coil, seems very similar by comparison, though I’m having to run more pressure in the Boost Valve (about 150psi up from 100) to aid in stopping it blow through its travel.

If you’re interested in my shock my email address is mbonnes AT me DOT com

clubby

Had one on my Nomad for last 2 years but have just replaced it with coil version. Never had a problem reliability wise but performance wasn’t what it should be. Found it difficult to balance between small bump performance and not blowing through its travel before boost valve kicked in. Only done a few rides on coil but it immediatelt felt better without any fiddling.

steve_b77
    Free Member

mboy – I need a 200×57 one, so thanks for the offer.

chakaping – the DHX is cheaper at Mojo in their clearance sale, so thats why I’m thinking about it, it’s gotta be better than the X-Fusion 0-R thats on there at the mo!!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

As mentioned above the generic issue with the DHX air is wallowy midstroke – supposed to be linked to too big an air chamber. How much this is a problem will depend on the leverage rate of the bike’s suspension design in question. Some will work fine, others won’t. Might be worth checking the Spesh MTBR forum to see what they think.

On the other hand, if it’s new from Mojo, and they’ll set it up for you as appropriate (might need the low vol air sleeve), then why not?

mboy
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member

mboy – I need a 200×57 one, so thanks for the offer.

chakaping – the DHX is cheaper at Mojo in their clearance sale, so thats why I’m thinking about it, it’s gotta be better than the X-Fusion 0-R thats on there at the mo!!

No worries. Just looked at the sale page on Mojo’s website, looks like they’ve got a few options for you. FWIW, I’d buy one of the DHX4.0 Air shocks instead of the 5.0 if I were you. You REALLY don’t need the extra adjustment IMO (the boost valve chamber size, certainly you only need it on a regressive suspension design like a Cannondale Prophet iirc, not something like your Specialized Pitch), and for £50 saving you can’t go wrong! Would probably still get the 4.0 over the 3.0 though, as the ability to tune the propedal level is useful compared to a preset level you can’t adjust.

Hmmm… £209 for a DHX5.0 coil in 200×57 (the same size I need too on my Reign X). Tempting! Sell you the 200×57 DHX4.0 air shock off my Reign? 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

mboy, it’d have to be less than the Mojo one 😆

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

DHX 5 Air on my bike got stuck down over Xmas. It’s an old one (2 years ish). RP23 replaced it and feels much better (Push tuned as well). Never really got to grips with it.

Flooks comment something like “it’s got no proper rebound circuit”, whatever that means in reality. Interesting that it’s the one Fox shock he doesn’t service.

I have a stuck down one if you’re interested?

clubber
    Free Member

steve – drop me an email. We might be able to do business.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Clubber YGM

mildred

How are folk getting them stuck down?

clubber
    Free Member

it’s when the air spring seal leaks and lets air into the negative air side, locking it down.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘’07 FOX DHX Air 5.0’ is closed to new replies.