Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 02 SEAT Ibiza – Anyone had one?!
  • FFJA
    Free Member

In the interests of economy now I commute a shed load more, the trusty Ford Ranger is going to have to go 🙁

I’m looking at a cheap £1000 ish Seat Ibiza as a small but not too small car for getting backwards and forwards with odd biking and diving trips.

Anyone owned one? Reasonable car to drive?

andrewreay

Had a 130 brake TDi Sport.

Was one of the most fun cars I’ve ever driven. It had a huge, heavy, powerful lump of an engine up front that made the car twist and shake all over under acceleration. It wasn’t smooth.

I got used to the torque steer fairly quickly, and the slightly odd dynamics of handling so much weight up front.

I used to hang off the steering wheel sometimes.

It was a good cruiser though, and could sit at 70 on the motorway at low revs and give great economy.

With seats down there’s a fairly useful load area for bikes too, but you’ll almost certainly need to need to take a wheel off.

On the downside, build quality was not great. The bonnet release handle snapped off and both door windows fell off their winding mechanisms, which meant they just feel down inside the door, jammed part open. Not at the same time I should add.

Overall I look back on it fondly, but I’d not risk getting another TDi Sport, fun though it was. A lower power model would probably be less likely to have been ragged and less likely to have shaken itself apart.

codybrennan
    Free Member

+1 andrewreay- I too had a 130, the FR, and was the best small car I’ve ever had.

Yes, good cars to drive, pretty reliable, cheap to fix. I’d have another.

FFJA
    Free Member

Nice one, it’s only the 1.2 I’m after so the ragging potential should be fairly limited!

Shackleton

Had a 1.2 bog standard one. It was fine until it started to eat EGR valves. Fairly sporty for it’s engine size and you can get two bikes and a weeks kit in the back with the seats down.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Still got a 99 90bhp tdi with 253k on it. Stuff broke, then the essentials kept on working over the years showing no signs of failing. For 1k, I’d consider it. If it’s for getting about on short journeys I’m sure the engine will be sufficient. I’d guess that it would be a bit laboured after 60mph on longer drives.. raising the fuel consumption. My one still gives me around 60mpg.

stumpy01

I’ve got an 03 130 TDi Sport on 262k miles and it’s still going strong. It’s even on,it’s original clutch still.

Nothing massively mechanical has gone wrong. Most expensive was an air con compressor, and the only thing that has forced me to stop was a intercooler pipe coming off.

It’s quick enough, economical, plenty of space for slinging a bike in withcthe seats down.

Great car, really. I’m keeping mine until it’s got at least 300k on it (unless something major dies).
    I used to do a 120 mile daily commute in mine…now down to ‘only 80’ miles.

gixer-chris
    Free Member

I had a 2003 PD130 sport and it was brilliant. Was smooth as butter and I thought build quality was good, never any issues with electrics etc. Only issue was the very low sump.

Can get 2 bikes with camping gear in the boot too, or snowboards & gear 🙂

Be wary of timing chains on the 1.2 as they are prone to snapping/jumping teeth.

A general thing on Ibiza’s is suspension bushes but parts are quite cheap for them now.

I would definitely have another PD130 especially if commuting – one of the best engines ever made according to a mechanic I know and easily made 45mpg on a 40 mile run. Also very easy to make it go fast (mine ended up at 240bhp but thats another story 😀 )

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve seen a lot of Ibizas with rusty front wings of late, including an ’04 on my commute to work which has a hole the size of a 50p piece in the wheel arch.

I’ve always had a soft spot for them, though. At one point I was seriously considering a GTI 16v (obviously pre-1999) to replace a much loved, but hideously unreliable Mk2 Golf.

stumpy01

gixer-chris – Member

A general thing on Ibiza’s is suspension bushes but parts are quite cheap for them now.

I would definitely have another PD130 especially if commuting – one of the best engines ever made according to a mechanic I know and easily made 45mpg on a 40 mile run

Mine’s only on it’s second set of suspension bushes – 2nd set went on at the last service (255k miles). Also had the trailing arm bushes done & went for the Cupra bushes this time which supposedly last better, but because they are solid they have made the ride even more crashy. If I had to change them again (unlikely) I’d got back to standard.

45mpg should be worst case scenario for a standard car I would think.
    Mine does 55mpg driving normally and driving frugally I’ve had it up to 64mpg over a tank.
    Worst I’ve ever seen was 46mpg over a tank but that was hoofing it down to Cornwall with a boot brimmed full of camping gear and 2 mtbs on the roof.

I have half considered replacing mine with another one, to be honest – although will probably replace with something a bit bigger.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I’ve an 03 1.4 Ibiza. It’s a great little car with enough room out back for a couple of bikes plus all the kit you’ll need. it’s agile in town and eager to stretch it’s legs on the motorway.
    if it’s a small car you’re after I would definitely recommend one.

longmover
    Free Member

I had a 57 plate FR PD130 but was running it about 195 bhp, the only problem was a leaky intercooler after 65,000 miles, it was easy enough to change out. I did a lot of long journeys in it and it was excellent on the motorway and absolutely bonkers when you floored it as the torque steer would pull you all over the place. Sold it when I emigrated to Australia, some days I really miss that car.

pirahna
    Free Member

Wifey had a 1.9 TDI Sport. Great is you don’t go too far, the most uncomfortable thing ever for anything over an hour. Change the seats if you’re going to use it for long trips.

stumpy01

pirahna – Member

Wifey had a 1.9 TDI Sport. Great is you don’t go too far, the most uncomfortable thing ever for anything over an hour. Change the seats if you’re going to use it for long trips.

I used to do a 60 miles each way commute in mine, which took about 1hr 20 each way and now do 40 miles each way which takes anything from 50 mins to 1.5hrs depending on traffic. I’ve never found it uncomfortable….
    We regularly drive to Bristol (3hrs)/London/Surrey in it and if it wasn’t for wee/coffee stops I wouldn’t feel the need to stop through discomfort. Even a late night drive up to Dalbeattie a few yrs ago only required 1 Burger King stop…. 😀

Admittedly, don’t buy one if you want cushiony soft ride comfort – the suspension is very crashy over pot holes & road imperfections – I am not sure if that’s just the ‘Sport’ ones or the entire range.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

We’ve got a 55 plate FR 130 tdi.

All as above, it’s a small car that seems big inside, i find it comfy at 6’2, goes like stink, handles ok but very heavy nose, frugal, harsh ride on small profile tyres on the FR model, wings are rusty. all the electrics still work inc. climate control.

I paid £2k a couple of years back, it’s done 40K miles with us now and 110 total. I’d probably buy another.

FFJA
    Free Member

Cracking, thanks all. It will sadly be the fairly bog standard version but it looks like most who’ve had one liked it! Is there anyway of detecting problems with the timing chain while on the forecourt?!

martinxyz
    Free Member

It’s 1k. Go for it and take your chances. Check out the exhaust. Something with a hole in both the middle and back box could reach 300 quid for starters. Tyres, screen (chips or cracks that won’t pass), rear screen wash hose came off on earlier ones, you would think it’s blocked, but instead you’d be filling up the tailgate with screen wash. electric window failed on mine around 80k. Check both work if electric. Mine has only had something like 1 wishbone and bushes done up front. 2 strut bearings, a few springs and driveshafts/boots have been fine for 250K. This is a car that’s done most of its miles on salty scottish roads on higher ground where gritters were out most days. My peugeot disintegrated.. the mechanic that works on this car is amazed at how it drives and although its rough on the outside, its solid underneath and the engine bay/strut area’s look like they did at 60k. I’d probably buy it, do an oil change asap.

This thread has just reminded me that I’ve never had a clutch go on it, and never changed the gearbox oil. Gear shift is sweet as!

chestrockwell

Are you looking at the facelifted model? If so my mate has one and we commute to work in it.

His is the 3cyl diesel and it’s a noisy thing but it’s comfortable enough and he’s not really had any problems with it.

stumpy01

chestrockwell – Member

Are you looking at the facelifted model? If so my mate has one and we commute to work in it.

His is the 3cyl diesel and it’s a noisy thing but it’s comfortable enough and he’s not really had any problems with it.

I think this must be the ‘new’ Ibiza (well, new since about 2008/9). They didn’t do a 3 cyl diesel in the older shape & I think the OP is talking about a 2002 model.
    My Wife’s got a 12 plate Ibiza FR 2 litre diesel & apart from the fact it seems a lot smaller than mine, I love it. Drove it into work today and got 67mpg out of it (on the computer) without even trying.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a 51 plate cupra with 90000 on the clock and 12 months mot that you can have for a grand!

chestrockwell

I think this must be the ‘new’ Ibiza (well, new since about 2008/9). They didn’t do a 3 cyl diesel in the older shape & I think the OP is talking about a 2002 model.

My mates is one of these-

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-reviews/seat/ibiza/hatchback-2002/

His is a 58 reg but this design ran from 2002, hence the question. 😉

stumpy01

chestrockwell – Member

His is a 58 reg but this design ran from 2002, hence the question

Ah, my apologies. Didn’t realise they did a 3 cylinder in that version of the Ibiza.
    Thought it was only the 4-cylinder 1.4 & 1.9
    58 must have been right near the end of the run before the new model was released.
    Aaaah, perhaps his is an ecomotive?

chestrockwell

Yep, Ecomotive and noisy! To be fair they only had that engine on the last ones.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘02 SEAT Ibiza – Anyone had one?!’ is closed to new replies.