Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,168 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • matt_outandabout

Today’s meander up the local ‘big hill’. It’s a decade since I’ve been up Ledi – it’s a cracker of a hill.

Not shown are the irresponsible pair of runners in rugby shorts and hoodies in an easy -15*c windchill…

fasgadh
    Free Member

So often see it on days like this from work – frustrating.

Looks like a good day. Lots more runners about now, see almost as many as I do walkers in the Lammermuirs (ie not too many)

matt_outandabout

Lots more runners about now,

Indeed, there were a few about today.
    All with at least a bum bag, windproof, tights on etc.

But these two looked like a lap of the footy field wasn’t enough so they headed up. Nothing other than what they were stood in…and they were cold going uphill it seemed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spin
    Free Member

A couple from yesterday, assuming I’ve worked out the image posting thing. Climbing rather than walking but the scenery is the same. All taken from Sgorr Ruadh and may be familiar to anyone who’s done the Torridon lollipop route.

Fuar Tholl

Beinn Alligin

jam-bo

Dartmoor showing it’s winter colours over the last couple of days

matt_outandabout

Spin, I’m jealous

ElShalimo

@matt_oab – it’s all relative, we’re stuck in Calderdale T3 so limited in where we can go walking. Your local hills look great compared to bog trotting around here.

matt_outandabout

A fair point. I’m just all keen for our summer hols in Torridon 😎

ElShalimo

I completely understand. We’re itching to get out on some decent hills in this cold weather!

Spin
    Free Member

Spin, I’m jealous

I feel very privileged to live where I do. I’m also going to enjoy it while I can because I think tighter restrictions might well be coming.

matt_outandabout

I’ve been avoiding this day for 6 years, but local travel needs and frozen bog presented an opportunity.

Uamh Beag & Meall Chlachach above the Braes of Doune windfarm.

26km of tough winter day on the hill, complete with 10km of sheet ice walk out there – hard going and slow.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff!.

Looks like no more hills for us for a while, nearest proper hills are 19 miles away…

matt_outandabout

Aye, all the hills I’ve posted in the last few weeks are within 10-15 miles, today’s hill was/is walkable from our house. The far hills will be very empty this year.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Well I’m in Cheshire (not too far to the Peak mind) so am a long long way from any proper hills 😔

Our local ‘hill’ has been busy beyond the point of being ridiculous for the past month too so we’re avoiding it ffs

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sorry Tom, talking Scots rules here. I’m sure Bawjaws will come out with some half arsed changes later. 🧐

dovebiker

Esther_snow

Attempted to climb up Corryhabbie Hill yesterday, which is right behind the house, after overnight snow. Gave up as I was post-holing up to my thighs, but the dog enjoyed it.

Ben Rinnes

Went up Ben Rinnes today – thankfully the snow has consolidated overnight so was able to make far quicker progress – but it still took twice as long. Also got a chance to use my new Grivel running crampons which I got for Crimbo.

Ben Rinnes 2

Looking south towards Glen Livet – Esther distracted by some noisy Ptarmigans and some Arctic Hares were contemptuously skipping about

matt_outandabout

Lovely.

We were in Glenlivet in the summer – in 25*c!

Tom-B
    Free Member

What crampons did you get @dovebiker?

dovebiker

We were in Glenlivet in the summer – in 25*c!

The day we arrived in the summer it was 29C – don’t think we’ve seen higher than 1C for the last week

What crampons did you get @dovebiker?

Grivel Ran-Lite – pretty minimal, but found myself scrabbling over some neve the other week and thought I’d better get something. Small and light enough to not worry about carrying them – 10mm spikes so way better that the ice-grip thingies.

matt_outandabout

We’ve just ordered Nortec Alp Micro crampons. I’ve axe and proper ones, but need some general walking ones.

I’m now needing a couple of walking axes as well…time to hit gumtree and FB to see what’s out there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I got a Black diamond axe ordered from Decathlon yesterday, looks like I got the last one though, down to 57 quid delivered.

If you’re on faceboak, put a wanted post on outdoor gear exchange, you’ll get loads of folk offering, worth a go.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m after a walking axe for my girlfriend (probably not going to get used much this season mind!)

EDIT. The outdear gear exchange, ground conditions page and guitar gear exchange pages are the thing that I really miss on Facebook….deleted my account 2 weeks into lockdown, much happier overall as a result.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I only really have OGE, a couple of walking groups and my running group, everyone else is hidden away!

ElShalimo

We could probably start our own outdoor gear swap/donate/gift group on here.

I’m sure that most of us have got too much kit, or clothes that are now too small or too big, or never worn.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Very good point that! Currently moving house and for the time being downsized to a motorhome whilst we’re doing a barn conversion….so space is at an absolute premium. I’m sure I’ll have some stuff to move on soon!

ElShalimo

Anyone been out and done some proper hills this week?

Here’s a shot above the village yesterday. It looks a little hilly

matt_outandabout

Stuck isolating, no walks or riding 💩

dovebiker

Ben Rinnes

Ben Rinnes yesterday again looking towards the Cairngorms because I can do it from my house – waited a few days for the snow to firm-up as not many people use that particular track and still a bit post-holey in places. Running back down in the setting sun was fab, although I did ‘superman’ into a drift when I hit a soft spot.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anyone been out and done some proper hills this week?

No, sadly, local proper hills despite being in the same county, are 20 miles away, so too far to go in current circumstances.

I’ll be spending time getting hill fit doing other stuff instead. Nice pics btw guys. 👍🏻

matt_outandabout

Ben Each today. Some deep fresh snow saw some postholing. Good to be the first on the hill though and avoid most of the thaw / wet snow other than the lowest point.

We used our new Nortec IceSpikes, and I’m impressed. They are not crampons, and I won’t be on full on crampon front point territory with them. But for the walking we’re doing, saving mrs_oab from buying fully rigid winter boots, they are spot on. I sought a pair that have extra retention strap – but in fact they are very secure without them.

A couple of interesting moments with a hidden icy layer under the snow saw us scamper for some ‘islands of safety’ as cracks started radiating out from where we were wading upwards. 😱 Take care folks – https://www.sais.gov.uk/

ElShalimo

👍

dovebiker

Hut

I haven’t even attempted to go up local hills this week as it was thigh-deep last weekend and we’ve had another 10″ or so of fresh snow since. A pair of XC skiers going around the forest trails were struggling in the week as it was more than boot deep and my local fields and enclosures are now knee deep in fluffy powder. I had a great pair of snowshoes that I sold last summer (only used in Finland) thinking “will I ever need these again?”

matt_outandabout

It’s a proper winter again!

I left a nice trail to follow yesterday ( and my thighs know it this morning…) however I was really jealous of the ski touring set up the next pair up the hill had…

ElShalimo

What mid-layer are you guys wearing on the hills when it’s REALLY cold?

It’s been below zero here with significant windchill recently and I’ve been cold a few times.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Montane Halogen Alpha, with a Merino hooded baselayer below, and it’s really properly cold, as it was a couple of weeks ago (well into -20s with windchill) then I also have a synthetic fleece too. All of this below a Rab Vital windproof shell, was properly toasty.

4 Layers, and the goretex jacket ready to go to, but it was a lovely dry snowy day.

IMG_20210123_154240194

Tom-B
    Free Member

You boys north of the border are really making me jealous currently!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not really Tom, out for a walk at lunch, it’s pissing down and **** baltic! 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tom, I’d be up for a days walking in the Lakes come better days, hopefully not too long, if you fancy it? Be good to get a group walk going, something sociable to look forward to if anyone else is up for it too.

ElShalimo

That looks lovely!!

This is what West Yorkshire has been like

I’ve been wearing 3 layers, merino base layer, fleece and Paramo Alta jacket. It’s usualy okay but the windchill recently has been pretty foul. I’m also feeling the cold more nowadays as I get older. Bashing up a hills keeps you warm but walking along the ridges or moors in the open is more of a challenge to stay warm.

I used to have a Montane Extreme smock but sold it on here to @voodoo_chile about 10yrs ago as I lost weight and it was too roomy. I’ve put that weight back on now 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Tom-B
    Free Member

@nobeer…..100% up for that mate. It’d have to be a Sunday due to my work….but yeah let’s get something sorted. Shout up anyone else on this thread if you’re up for it and we’ll get a Lakes walk sorted. Dogs/partners invited? 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.