Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 1,168 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • mark88

There’s sometimes a field further down the road opened up with an honesty box but I don’t know if that’s a regular thing.

Yep, that’s the one I was thinking of. I thought that was the church car park.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s sometimes a field further down the road opened up with an honesty box but I don’t know if that’s a regular thing.

No it’s limited days of the year presumably due to planning, change of use or whatever other local council rules prevent them from providing a permanent car park. You can go on the Kentmere website and there’s a phone No. For the owner who you can phone to check when it’s open

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Eh?

His uncle was bursting for a shite, door was bolted on the outside, there was a spade in the bothy that he used to wedge the door open.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

Winter is coming…. I just bought another walking axe last night, brand new but older Black Diamond.

We are planning a few more wintery days over the next few months if we can.

After a few weeks hiatus from being on the higher hills for illness and other reasons, I am itching to get back out.

Any winter plans from anyone else?

ElShalimo

I’d just love to have a full on winter day out in the hills at some point!

It’s been nearly 2 years since my last winter day out on the Carneddau in N Wales. It was amazing. There’s something really satisfying about doing a big winter walk, in and out of snow & ice all day long followed by a few beers next to a log fire.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

After a few weeks hiatus from being on the higher hills for illness and other reasons, I am itching to get back out.

Mrs inexplicably abandoned a cushty dayshift clinic job 6 months ago to go back on shift, on the wards. My weekends have been a mess since, she does her last shift tomorrow before going back to a clinic job, so the weekend will be once again, ours. 🙂

Planning a wee summit camp with a mate on Mullwharchar on saturday, here’s hoping weather is decent, not wet warm claggy shite.

ElShalimo

Sunday was bitterly cold above Weardale, North Pennines.

Some lovely colours in the peat groughs on Chapelfell Top and when the sun burst through the clouds it was gorgeous lighting

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sunday was bitterly cold above Weardale, North Pennines.

Ditto the Galloways. Walked in from the east over Mullwharchar, had planned a summit camp there as its pretty much the central summit, but it was blowing a hoolie up top, so we dropped down and camped at Loch Enoch instead.

It’s a long dark night in November….

Enoch

BoB

Found the sleeping man of Mullwharchar though!

man o M

matt_outandabout

That looks great.

Hoping that we might get a hill in this weekend – follow the weather time, but hoping to look at the Angus glens.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any recommendations for C1 crampons? Looking at Petzl Vasak at the moment, but open to suggestions. I like the look of the lever, set em up first time then they’re theoretically much easier to fit with cold fingers.

https://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk/climbing-winter-c1/crampons-c45/petzl-crampons-c88/petzl-vasak-flexlock-universal-crampons-with-crampon-bag-p654

debaser

Chilly Beinn a'Bhuird

Quite excited for winter after so much time with the Highland hills on the horizon like forbidden ice-cream. Had a day on Beinn a’Bhuird a fortnight ago where winter was beginning to show its teeth. Full winter above 800m and good to get a reminder of how to operate and do a bit of navigation in anger for the first time in a while.

Love all of the pictures on this thread, some great inspiration to get out in the hills. Liking the sound of Friday’s mountain forecast for the Cairngorms and Monadhliath of “Exceptional snowfall following after dark.”

EDIT – For C1 crampons I quite like something that will fit on as many boots as possible so that I can loan it to folk I’m heading out with or fit them to snowboard boots. Think they’re Grivel G12 New Classic. That Petzl lever lock looks great for ease of fitting though. I have some Black Diamond C3s that are so much easier to fit in a cold hoodie hiding behind a boulder without all the strap nonsense so less faff definitely an advantage.

slowoldman

Leverlock are ideal if your boots have a suitable heel welt. If not go for the flexlock.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, after typing that, I’ve been looking through the myriad of options SOM, and clocked that, thanks.

matt_outandabout

The forecast for the next two days on MWIS is from reading. No hill day likely this weekend.

matt_outandabout

Crampons I would have no idea about – mine are 25 <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>years old!</span>

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, weather looks hellish, MRT search training tomorrow night will be a tad interesting.

Spin
    Free Member

A few from Cul Beag today. Pretty decent weather really and the snow showers just added to the ambience.

260489187-10159717280969198-3389113337951133540-n
    260416648-10159717281239198-7459643176901447030-n
    261534271-10159717281224198-3853638478963077751-n
    260966235-10159717281029198-1566762059550192202-n
    261454233-10159717281294198-7242440775295384201-n

matt_outandabout

That’s a win of a day considering the forecast and last 24 hours! 👍

Spin
    Free Member

Yes, it was fantastic. That snow, moor, loch, sea combo you get in Coigach and Assynt is pretty special.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Amazing. ❤

ElShalimo

Good that looks good! I’m so jealous

My favourite place to go walking but sadly only get up there about every 5 yrs.

Spin
    Free Member

My favourite place to go walking

I came to the conclusion yesterday that if all I could do for the rest of my life was wander round Coigach I’d be quite happy. Well, maybe Assynt as well. 🙂

tomd
    Free Member

Looking for a bit of inspiration for hills to do with with the kids from you knowledgeable mountain folk.

Took them up Ben A’an last weekend, daughter loved it and said it was the best hill ever. I think the mix of it not being too big, but with some fun steep bits and boulders and slabs to play on was the winner.

Anyone got any tips for particularly good hills they’ve done with kids in Scotland? Can be anything from 80m to say 350m climb. Best I’ve come up with so far is Arthurs seat just for the novelty of it.

matt_outandabout

@tomd

Opposite A’an is Ben Venue – although a path, there’s lots our lot used to scamble over and range like puppies off the lead.

Tarmachan ridge is interesting as hills go, ours loved it from a young age. Imo, just go up to summit then first 15 mins of ridge, after the down scramble bail into the corrie and the hydro track out.

Ben Ledi via Stank glen is another kid friendly and engaging day with different paths and feel all the way up and down.

Perthshire Vorlich similarly, and ours enjoyed the scamble up Stuc a’Chroin. Odd walk out if you don’t go back over Vorlich though.

Chonzie is not a scramble, but it’s the easiest Munro in the land! Great for a summer picnic.

Carn Liath at Blair Atholl and Ben Vrackie at Pitlochry also offer steep, short, interesting days out for kids.

Lomond is a busy but interesting and short Munro.

I’ve got more if you want 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tough following Ben A’an fir a kid, as it feels like a proper little mountain, many higher more rounded mountains will seem like a slog to them.

Dumyat and Meikle bin worth a couple of hours, lomond hills, agree Arthur’s seat, and also tarmachan ridge or even beinn ghlas as the car park is a good head start for them. Ditto cairnwell munros. Pap of glencoe is another shout, or even Ben a chrulaiste just for the view of the great herdsman.

Spin
    Free Member

Another couple from today. Climbing on Fionn Bheinn but the start and finish of every winter climbing day is hillwalking so I thought I’d put the views on here. 🙂

P1010568

P1010583

P1010591

P1010592

thelawman

Good photos, @spin. It certainly looks like winter has proper arrived this weekend. I must get out again after too many years of enforced absence.

Spin
    Free Member

It certainly looks like winter has proper arrived this weekend

It’ll all be in the sea a few days from now!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pea souper of a day, wee Corbett ticked off in Arrochar Alps – Beinn Luibhean.

No pics sadly, twas grim. Good chat though, and as always better than being at work.

Couple of munros lined up for Saturday, weather looks decent. 🙏

First walk for the new Manta GTX – impressed.

matt_outandabout

I’m hoping to be out over Christmas, but need a healthier mrs_oab as sidekick.

13thfloormonk

Pea souper of a day, wee Corbett ticked off in Arrochar Alps – Beinn Luibhean.

No pics sadly, twas grim. Good chat though, and as always better than being at work.

Couple of munros lined up for Saturday, weather looks decent. 🙏

First walk for the new Manta GTX

Did my first and only hill of the year a couple of weeks ago just across the road – Beinn an Lochain.

Belter of a wee winter walk, short and direct but nicely mountainous at the top, shame the sole fell off my Manta boot just as we left the car, summer boots and microspikes for the win!

Spin
    Free Member

Couple of munros lined up for Saturday, weather looks decent

Saturday looks great.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It really does @Spin, I’m due a bluebird winter day!.

Spin
    Free Member

It really does @Spin, I’m due a bluebird winter day!.

Except it won’t be winter!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Very true!

LD
    Free Member

Just make sure you go high!

null

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dorain and Dothaidh is the plan @LD 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve set myself the task of walking/running all of the Lake District Wainwrights in 2022 that I havent done already. I Know its a bit meh etc and I am not one really for tick lists but having spent 40+ years running and walking almost all of the larger peaks there, I am looking forward to seeing some of the less well known areas.

ElShalimo

Great day on Great Coum in Yorkshire Dales NP

Mini-inversion with Morecambe Bay covered in cloud. It was t-shirt weather for about 2hrs

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Absolutely amazing warm, clear day today with YoKaiser on the Dorain duo.

Not often you can see the Merrick and Macdui from the same spot in December!.

braw

braw

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 1,168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.