Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,201 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • matt_outandabout

What wetsuit for Munro’s?

ElShalimo

That’s really odd.

felltop

Apparently filming for a TV program.

ElShalimo

Not sure if this has been done but Montane have updated the classic Featherlite smock design. Best bit of kit I’ve had in the last 20yrs. It looks like they’ve also revamped the Litespeed

https://www.montane.com/mens-c1/montane-mens-featherlite-smock-p994#attribute%5B3%5D=253

matt_outandabout

And if you want cheapy old versions from the factory shop…

https://mountain-kit.co.uk/men-c18/windproof-c61

ElShalimo

Yet another series on BBC4 – Yorkshire Walks

Yorkshire Walks, Series 1: 4. Bolton Abbey to Simon’s Seat: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000brvk via @bbciplayer

matt_outandabout

Ridiculously calm day up Ben Challum today.

Spin
    Free Member

Winter back for a few days.

matt_outandabout

Stunning

ElShalimo

@Spin – where is that?

Great photo!!

Spin
    Free Member

Heading up Central Couloir on Sgorr Ruadh today. We’d optimistically thought that a climb might be possible but nothing was in acceptable condition so we went for a wander instead.

ElShalimo

👍

matt_outandabout

A last few local peaks to do now. Mrs_oab had her second jab today, so we took things easy and wandered through the woods above Strathyre.

This is the little climbed ridge of Meall nan Oigreag, Sgaith a Chaise, Creag a Mhadaidh and Meall Mor between Strathyre and Glen Ample. We are sunburnt, had almost totally calm conditions on the summit, and snow falling most of the way down!

Looking North West – Ben More and Stob Binean are the snowy two in foreground, beyond is up towards Glen Lochy, Glen Lyon and even edge of Rannoch.

Looking North East down Glen Ample – Loch Earn with Ben Lawers, Bheinn Ghlas and Meall Corranich in centre, Tarmachan to left, snowy one in far distance hard left is (I think) Meall Bhuide in Glen Lyon

South East to Beinn Each. We were up there in full on winter conditions a few short weeks ago.

South West of course is Ben Ledi

dovebiker

Still keeping it local, took a bimble up Meikle Conval to look back down the glen towards Ben Rinnes and had to belt back down to avoid the squally hail/snow showers
    GlenRinnes

peaslaker
    Free Member

I think we’re in your photos, OABs. We did the traverse taking in Benvane, Stuc Dhudh and Ben Ledi, descending back down Glen Stank.

Ben Vorlich, Stuc a'Chroin, Beinn Each

Benvane ascent

Benvane pano

Ben More and Stob Binnein from Benvane

The abrupt descent from Ben Ledi to Glen Stank

ElShalimo

Some lovely photos

matt_outandabout

@peaslaker – small world!

We did that Ledi – Benvsne ridge last year, it’s rather pleasant!

peaslaker
    Free Member

@matt_outandabout did the Ben Vorlich, Stuc a’Chroin, Beinn Each traverse a week ago, so we’ve been trotting around the local hills a fair bit.

Spin
    Free Member

A few from the last couple of days. Klibreck, Hope, Foinaven, Creagan Meall Horn and some general views.

matt_outandabout

Ooo, nice.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Sweet mother!!! Excellent.

I’d post a picture from my trip to Llandegla today, but:

1. I didn’t take any
    2. It’d likely have been a picture filled with an overweight scouser on an eBike.

LD
    Free Member

North Buttress on the Buchaille twice in the last 4 days! Stunning route, better than Curved ridge for those with a bit of experience. Weather perfect both days. Very happy to have travel rules eased early.

matt_outandabout

Stunning!

matt_outandabout

I forgot last week’s.

RustyNissanPrairie

Have not been able to do our usual winter season hiking trips so early morning trip up Scafell with Bert (double coated) before it warmed up.

cscslions

matt_outandabout

It is years since I have been up there. It is an ace view….

RustyNissanPrairie

It is years since I have been up there. It is an ace view….

Yeah – beautiful day today. 4:30am start though to get there early before it started warming up. We’re both snoozing on the sofa now!

nostrils
    Free Member

Stephen Pern (“Hooks”) has just released his new film, it’s called “Time on Legs”

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ah nice one @nostrils……that’s tomorrow’s home alone evening sorted then!!!

We took our motorhome up to Coniston Sunday-this morning…..hiked Walna scar road-Down Crag-Brim Fell?-Swirl How-Wetherlam then back into Coniston for a pint of Old Peculiar….it’s up there with our best ever days out. Sore legs as it was the first ‘big day’ in about 6 months…..the view from Wetherlam was possibly the best Lakeland view I’ve had so far….360 panorama from a fell that I’d not heard of!

Up to 48 Wainwrights now, not trying to rush through them really, still got a 2 more of the Coniston fells to do, so will have taken 3 trips all in to tick them…..why have 1 good day when you can have 3 eh?! Pics are all on my gf’s phone, will try and nab some although I’m off all social media these days.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Howdy, had a couple of months sans STW, was spending too much time on here, but this thread has pulled me back from sanity and the real world. 🙂

First wee visit to my favourite island at the weekend, with Mrs Nobeer and the Nobeerette, was gonna bin it early on as the weather was grim, but the gloom lifted soon after.

Caisteal abhail

Caisteal abhail

Caisteal abhail

Caisteal abhail

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A few good days in the hills in the last couple of weeks, getting snowed off Lawers, a beautiful day on the 3 Beinns on Arran, and a wee midweek double of Ben Lui and Beinn a Chleibh on Wednesday. Magic.

MRT training walk in the Galloways tomorrow, should be a good day.

What y’aw been up to?

Lawers

3 Beinns

3 Beinns

3 Beinns

Lui

Lui

Lui

Tom-B
    Free Member

Excellent stuff! I ticked Wainwrights 49 and 50 a few weeks back, stayed at Brotherswater in the Motorhome…..awesome walk somewhat marred by our dog getting attacked by an out of control labrador with a couple of fell runners…..I thought that up on the tops of less popular peaks in the Lakes we’d be basically safe from dickhead dog owners….apparently not!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My mate got bitten by a border collie on satura crag, coming off the Knott, he’s a right dog lover as well, it’s me that generally canny be arsed wi them. 😂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Another couple of Munros ticked off yesterday, cheeky wee night in the van at Achaladair (by Loch Tulla) then Beiin Achaladair and Beinn a’ Chreachain. Roasting, Clegs, Midges, but views to die for, as ever the phone cam doesn’t do it justice.

Mrs didn’t enjoy the walk out along the River Tulla doubletrack, I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s still muttering about it now!.

Achaladair

Achaladair

Achaladair

Achaladair

Achaladair

Achaladair

Achaladair

Achaladair

ElShalimo

I keep forgetting to post on this thread 🤦

Q: can anyone recommend a 25-28L day sack for a tallish person with a decent hip belt? I’m 6ft 1.5in and most day sacks are quite short. Ideally something narrow and slim

ElShalimo

Some from Eabhal last month

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My day sack is a wee bit bigger than that at 36l, Osprey Stratos. I could get away with smaller most of the time, but at 36l it’s big enough for nights away, to swallow tent, sleeping bag etc. I’d like one a bit lighter too, but light means no hip pockets, pole loops etc, and I prefer all that stuff to a few hundred grammes saved.

Lowe alpine bags look really good these days, plenty options.

If ye decide on an Osprey, gimme a shout, I’ve a couple of 40% vouchers left.

Braw, never been to Uist.

ElShalimo

@nobeerinthefridge – thanks, I’d like to take to up on that offer. I used to have a v1 Talon 33 (2009ish) and used it for many years until it fell apart

We had 2 stunning days on Uist that week. It was amazing

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll check make sure it works first (valid til end of July) and PM you it mate.

ElShalimo

Thanks !!

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.