Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • “Aggressive” riding – expressions you love to hate
  • neil853
    Free Member

‘All Mountain’? ‘Freeride’? WTF!!!!!!!!! ‘Agressive XC’? Boils my piss

poppa
    Free Member

Lovin that picture flamejob, jumping with bar ends and a long stem – MBUK would have a heart attack!

grumm
    Free Member

neil853, think you should get your blood pressure checked. Honestly, out of all the things in the world to get angry about…

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

retro- no it’s old

GaryLake
    Free Member

Clearly then, there are no bitter, insecure, xc jey boys on here?

Well I actually ride an Orange Five and wear baggy 3/4 lengths and ride allsorts so I’m not a stereotypical XCer.

It’s just terms like AM and Aggresive XC and Freeride lite *yak* bring up visions of people on giant 6″ bikes of death pottering round trail centres – which I’m fine with, I admit I’m probably too slow for my bike – but when you hear these same people talking about the extremes of their riding, it just makes me feel kinda dirty using those terms.

There’s actual AM (Whistler Fall segment on Seasons DVD?) and then there’s mainstream AM which is basically red runs at trail centres… lol

When people ask what I ride, I kinda just feel like saying ‘bikes’

MrAgreeable

This thread smacks of manufactured indignance to me. Let’s reverse it – does anyone describe their riding as “passive XC” and when getting to the bottom of the trail do they feel “extinguished”? Actually, don’t answer that. 😉

Have to agree about the Pinkbike/Elbry house style being unintentionally amusing though. The Elbry press release actually referred to “acid drops“, which makes me think he was punting off giant boiled sweets.

grumm
    Free Member

I did once read a quite amusing post on pinkbike:

“I got my pitch and i’ve been doing sum dj and freeride on it Will it fall Apart?” if its lite freeride, it should be fine. i say stop djing and maybe do lite freeride, but stick to allmountain

Thing is, although it sounds silly, I do have some idea of the kind of riding they are talking about, without them having to explain it. It’s just a shorthand, like using genre names to describe music.

poppa
    Free Member

If only we could harness the power of neil853’s anger, we would have a renewable energy source capable of boiling a kettle of water every time somebody uses MTB slang… !

jwt
    Free Member

‘ride it like you stole it’ LOL 😆

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

GaryLake – Member

Well I actually ride an Orange Five and wear baggy 3/4 lengths and ride allsorts so I’m not a stereotypical XCer.

It’s just terms like AM and Aggresive XC and Freeride lite *yak* bring up visions of people on giant 6″ bikes of death pottering round trail centres – which I’m fine with, I admit I’m probably too slow for my bike – but when you hear these same people talking about the extremes of their riding, it just makes me feel kinda dirty using those terms.

I think its fear of being seen as, and or repuslion by “those other types” which leads people to get their backs up. Careful you dont say you’re “stoked” or someone might think you are trying to be cool, while you sit astride you 3000 pound bike with carefully co-ordinated anodized bits, in your nicely matching riding gear. At the trail centre. Which of course you can do on a rigid single speed……but you’re not trying.

GaryLake – Member
    There’s actual AM (Whistler Fall segment on Seasons DVD?) and then there’s mainstream AM which is basically red runs at trail centres… lol

Posted 3 minutes ago #

Whistler? All mountain? You mean the seasons section where Cameron McCaul, Steve Peat, Shandro, Vanderham etc are ripping down the hillside together doing insane jumps, tail whips etc all with amazing style and speed? Not to muddy the waters but I didnt think lift assisted dh/frreride trails counted as All Mountain. Surely, all mountain is just getting up the hill (almost as fast as the xc guys) and getting down it (almost as fast as the dh guys)?

At the end of the day as someone above has said – it’s all just shorthand.

This is a sport in its infancy really and we are irrelevant in terms of pushing trends. Go to a bar in BC and start ridiculing the way people talk about riding why dont you, see how far you get.

flamejob
    Free Member

@shinsplints Orange gave me the cowhorns with the frame, so I knida felt obliged to use them. That was actually taken during an XC race!

Rad!

Passive XC – Hell yeah, when out on a sunny day with the GF; stick a couple of baguettes in the shinpad holders on your camelbak and mooch up to the top of Holmbry Hill

(This is “Web 2.0” I will post images with all comments!) —- aaaaagghhh Web 2.0 WTF does that mean??? Stop me!

neil853
    Free Member

they are all expressions from the baggy pant, too cool for school generation. people don’t realise that these are terms dreampt up to create niche markets that were already covered?

why pigeon hole yourself? its all just mountain biking. do people honestly say they are going ‘freeriding’ at the weekend???!!!!

grumm
    Free Member

Elbry does 😛

chakaping
    Free Member

But were all these terms dreamt up by annoying-spec-wearing marketing men in air conditioned offices?

I’d guess no, they probably come from riders (and sometimes journos) across the Atlantic. They just sound particularly ridiculous when repeated with a brummie accent.

grumm
    Free Member

neil853 – can you not cope with the idea that maybe different people do different types of riding, and that different bikes/gear are more or less suited to these types of riding?

It is indeed all mountain biking, but again, that’s like people saying we shouldn’t use genre names in music, because ‘its all just music’.

*neil853 walks into a record shop, and asks for some music:

‘what kind of music?’

‘god why do we have to try and pigeonhole everything, jesus christ I’m so angry’.

😉

MrAgreeable

Neil853, if I told my friends I was going out on an “XC” or “mountain bike” ride at the weekend, when what I meant was having a few runs down the local DH course, it’s quite possible that when I turned up on a big bouncy bike with pads and full-facer, and they had brought their lycra and rigid carbon fibre singlespeeds, that some or all of us would end up having quite an unsatisfactory experience. Whereas if I were to say “I’m going out to huck some gnarl” then it avoids any unpleasantness and gives everyone a good laugh.

War, famine, poverty, injustice, these are all things to get angry about. Slightly florid language is not in the same category.

GaryLake
    Free Member

GaryLake – Member

I think its fear of being seen as, and or repuslion by “those other types” which leads people to get their backs up. Careful you dont say you’re “stoked” or someone might think you are trying to be cool, while you sit astride you 3000 pound bike with carefully co-ordinated anodized bits, in your nicely matching riding gear. At the trail centre. Which of course you can do on a rigid single speed……but you’re not trying.

GaryLake – Member

Posted 3 minutes ago #

Whistler? All mountain? You mean the seasons section where Cameron McCaul, Steve Peat, Shandro, Vanderham etc are ripping down the hillside together doing insane jumps, tail whips etc all with amazing style and speed? Not to muddy the waters but I didnt think lift assisted dh/frreride trails counted as All Mountain. Surely, all mountain is just getting up the hill (almost as fast as the xc guys) and getting down it (almost as fast as the dh guys)?

At the end of the day as someone above has said – it’s all just shorthand.

This is a sport in its infancy really and we are irrelevant in terms of pushing trends. Go to a bar in BC and start ridiculing the way people talk about riding why dont you, see how far you get.

Forgive me, I’m quite new here, a refugee if you like – perhaps I’ve spent too long on BikeRadar :-/

I’m going to go an All Mountain the sh*t out of the trails this weekend, I promise!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

neil853 – Member

why pigeon hole yourself? its all just mountain biking. do people honestly say they are going ‘freeriding’ at the weekend???!!!!

No, I say Im going mountainbiking. To my girlfriend. But if I meet you in a pub and we start to discuss the matter, we’re not going to get very far if we just keep saying “mountainbiking” are we.

I mountainbike.

Oh really, so do I.

Really? On a mountain?

Yes, and on a bike as well!

Do you go up the mountain and also down?

Yes I do, but I greatly prefer going down……

neil853 – Member
    they are all expressions from the baggy pant, too cool for school generation. people don’t realise that these are terms dreampt up to create niche markets that were already covered?

Wouldnt have anything to do with the sport evolving would it? Nah……its all just marketing. Anyone who rides a downhill bike must be a right bloody muppet then eh? I mean a rigid xc bike can go up and down a hill, who needs suspension eh? Bloody world cup dh numpties.

neil853
    Free Member

evoloution is part of any sport and especially one as young as ours, but things evolve with a need to find a solution to something? dics brakes, indexed gears, spd’s. people walk into shops now that have been reading marketing bumph and MBUK and look straight at ‘all mountain’ bikes with 1.5″ headsets and 7″ travel and then ask for full body armour and lightweight full face helmets. i mean come on?

bikes have now evolved into fantastic things that on the whole offer good value for money and give great experiences. my point, which people like GNARGNAR seem to be taking a bit too heart (Freerider obviously?) is that people are sold an idea on a lifestyle and they admittadly do that then fair enough, but many of these people forget the routes of the sport and how its eveolved? many people have never heard of John Tomac and have always ridden in trail centres as Chipps said in one of his arcticles, and this is fine also, just not me

JamieMc
    Free Member

“Stoked!” is that not what you say when you need to put some more coal on the fire – “better stoke the fire”, so i guess “stoked” is the past tense of stoking said fire. More to the point, what are you doing stoking a fire when your out riding! 👿

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

neil853 – Member
    my point, which people like GNARGNAR seem to be taking a bit too heart (Freerider obviously?) is that people are sold an idea on a lifestyle and they admittadly do that then fair enough, but many of these people forget the routes of the sport and how its eveolved? many people have never heard of John Tomac and have always ridden in trail centres as Chipps said in one of his arcticles, and this is fine also, just not me

Posted 3 minutes ago #

That’s your point? Reaaally? I think that point got completely lost in you bile spewing against youg folk who wear baggy troos and the marketing geniuses who force us to buy bikes we dont want…. As for me being a freerider……I might have been one when I was in Canada briefly, then somewhere over the Atlantic on my way home I became just a guy who prefers to push to the top rather than climb. “Sessioning” became “doing the same section repeadetly until I was satisfied that I had mastered it”. “Gnarly” became “A challenging trail with a variety of difficult and challenging features, both natural and man made” And “Stoked” became “thouroughly delighted having succesfully enjoyed a fulfilling jaunt on my mountainbike”.

JamieMc – Member
    “Stoked!” is that not what you say when you need to put some more coal on the fire – “better stoke the fire”, so i guess “stoked” is the past tense of stoking said fire.

Exactly, the metaphorical fire within oneself. Stokedness is the supreme state of existence. To be stoked is to be enlightened. Obviously one can only achieve the state of being stoked having mastered something “gnarly”. Christ you people know nothing.

But I will teach you.

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of John Tomac, and I bought a full face helmet for riding (downhill?) in the alps this summer – is that allowed? Can you help please, I’m confused.

Sandwich

It’s all covered by either XC or Downhill. Alternatively hoppity gubbins or going for a ride will also cover it.
    All else is just the b@st@rd child of management speak. Any one for low hanging fruit? 😀

neil853
    Free Member

hey someone else who speaks sense! ha ha

coffeeking
    Free Member

lol look at the lot of you, this is such a funny thread – the number of puckered people bent out of proportion due to a phrase – only on STW 🙂

Agressive is a perfectly acceptable term, meaning to really attack a trail – it differs from the way your non-mtb mates would ride the same trail, both are mountain biking but you need to make some sort of distinction between the two “that rider is mountain biking, that other one is riding more agressively”. Some superlightweight components are good for XC but would be less suitable for an agressive rider who may break them by using different methods. Have you seen the way the olympic XC riders ride – other than fitness they appear to lack all trail skill and “flow”, they dont ride agressively.

While I agree that girl that got wiped out by a truck in the US/Canada the other week sounded a tool when she kept saying “like… like…. yeah it was gnarly”, there’s no reason that the phrases cant be used in a “correct” place.

As someone who’s grown up with the sport over decades I find the segregation a little odd, but then I do have a DH bike, an XC bike and a trials bike. I dont like the “lifestyles” that are sold with it, but then I dont jump to the conclusion that anyone using those terms is buying the lifestyle and a knob – that would just be petty and childish. As a kitesurfer too we use similar phrases and I do actually quite like the lifestyle of kitesurfers but I dont “try to be” one – thats just how I am naturally and how the sport (which is very much a solo sport) leasds you to be – calm, laid back, wear certain clothes (as they’re useful) etc…

grumm
    Free Member

Sandwich – why the need for the term ‘downhill’? Surely XC also includes downhill?

flamejob
    Free Member

what coffeeking said

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I like the references to ‘Passive XC’. I ve done a bit of that myself….

andrew
    Free Member

Wouldnt have anything to do with the sport evolving would it? Nah……its all just marketing. Anyone who rides a downhill bike must be a right bloody muppet then eh? I mean a rigid xc bike can go up and down a hill, who needs suspension eh? Bloody world cup dh numpties.

Christ man, calm down! The XC jeyboys have got under your skin. It’s all a bit silly really: it’s not as if they’re terms that originate in mountainbiking – they’ve been borrowed from surfing, skateboarding, etc. It might be ‘native’ across the pond but can sound a bit forced even with a US accent. Over here it does suffer a tad from ‘white rapper’ syndrome or ‘middle class chav’ or little boy in mummy’s clothes. And when that happens it’s hilarious.

grumm
    Free Member

How about passive/aggressive XC?

AndyP
    Free Member

‘ride it like you stole it’ LOL [:lol:]
    Now, I’d imagine that meant riding slowly and inconspicuously, so as to not draw attention to one’s self, before hiding the bike for a while until the heat is off, then flogging it down the boozer for a monkey, or a weasel if it’s a hardtail.

Any of the Freeride/All Mountain/Trail ‘pigeonholing’ bolox as before. Look, there are 3 kinds of riding, basically.
    1) Cross Country
    2) Downhill
    3) ****ting around on a few bits of wood you’ve nailed to a perfectly good tree, with the waist of your jeans somewhere around your knees. Before going back to your job as a marketing executive.

MrAgreeable

I like BigDummy’s phrase “ambient jeycore lite” too.

Take note everyone, it’s going to be all about passive XC in ’09. Tartan rugs are the new body armour, and travel pillows are the new neck braces.

shinsplints

Bi – Polar XC ? 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How about passive/aggressive XC?

I prefer passive XC with agressive cake eating.

MrOvershoot

I prefer passive XC with agressive cake eating.

Sign me up for that 😀

grumm
    Free Member

Why do you feel the need to pigeonhole cake eating into aggressive and non-aggressive, its all cake eating at the end of the day. In fact, its just eating, which is a necessary process of life, so why not just call it living, and stop pigeonholing it into all these different so-called ‘activities’? 😛

sofatester
    Free Member

LOL @ EVERYONE who has got even slighly anoyed/upset about this thread.

Lets go ride.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

AndyP –

Any of the Freeride/All Mountain/Trail ‘pigeonholing’ bolox as before. Look, there are 3 kinds of riding, basically.
    1) Cross Country
    2) Downhill
    3) ****ting around on a few bits of wood you’ve nailed to a perfectly good tree, with the waist of your jeans somewhere around your knees. Before going back to your job as a marketing executive.

Boooo…hisssss…marketing executives. I hate professional people doing sports….yeah, they are probably retarded and cant build for toffee, pah. Nailing bits of wood to trees. Not like those good old xc’ers who build such good trails. I know lots of those guys, the way they stand around and point out potential obstacles that “could be removed from trails” “if someday they could be bothered to carry a saw”. That’s essence of mountainbiking right there.

If there are 3 tyes of mountain biking as you say, please explain to me what this is?

(using the word mountainbike is inadmissible as an answer)

andrew
    Free Member

please explain to me what this is?

A bicycle. Ride it and enjoy. Simple.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

“Ambient XC lite” is my description of what I do. Sounds better than ” wandering around the countryside looking at the view” recently I was jumping my xc bike with mary bars but wearing a pisspot lid – is theat freeriding?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘“Aggressive” riding – expressions you love to hate’ is closed to new replies.