Viewing 18 posts - 281 through 298 (of 298 total)
  • ⛷️ ❄️ Skiing and Snowboarding 23-24 🏔️ 🏂
  • phil5556

@speeder I love Menuires and access to the 3 Vals from there is great. Even if the score lower down is sketchy Val Thorens will be good (OK it might be hard pack but there won’t be lack of snow).

We were there for 6 days last week and had an awesome time.

Just finished 6 days in La Plagne & Arcs – I won’t be going back to Plagne again, too much flat, too many people and absolute carnage at times. Les Arcs was much much better and had a great day today, even had an inch of fresh.

Last day tomorrow, going for a short day from La Tania, will probably just get a Courcheval pass but might get carried away and get a full one…

Tom-B
    Free Member

Are you in your van again Phil? I’ve not been on Facebook for a while so not seen any ‘winterised’ posts.

We did La Plagne early April last year (Easter holidays) and it was dead! I’ve done Feb half term there before and it was crazy busy!

phil5556

Yep in the van been away for about 3 weeks.

Something like… La Clusaz 1 day, Megeve 1 day, Menuires / 3 Vals 6 days, Avoriaz / PDS 3 days, La Plagne / Les Arcs 6 1/2 days, Courcheval tomorrow, eurotunnel Saturday afternoon.

We stayed in the La Plagne Aire which is a great facility, I can see why people like it, but La Plagne itself, not so much. We a tayed in Les Arcs last night after getting the dog wormed in BSM, seems that it’s tolerated as there were a few vans up where we were at 1800.

We moved around a bit to see friends and stayed high due to lack of snow. We got a half decent powder day in Menuires at the beginning and apart from 2 days pretty much clear skies and sun, mostly too hot! 🥵

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah the La Plagne Aire is mega! Where have you stayed to ride Les Arcs? I’ve never been, could be a possibility this March

Akers

I’m in Alpe d’Huez this week, for our annual family ski trip. It’s been freakishly warm all week. Snow is getting very thin in places and quite a few pistes are closed, as some south facing slopes are almost completely bare. Conditions are icy hard-pack in the morning but softening considerably by lunchtime, with moguls developing on all but the shallowest slopes by early afternoon. We’ve been opting to ski until 2:30ish, to make the most of the conditions, then having a late lunch, and a relaxing the rest of the day.
    In the 40 years I’ve been skiing, I don’t think I’ve been to a resort in February, where it’s so warm, with so little snow.
    Forecast is a lite cooler next week, but still only -5C minimum overnight, hopefully cold enough for the snow cannons to get to work.

phil5556

We stayed here in Arc 1800 https://maps.app.goo.gl/DQri2jF1i2BaURVG6?g_st=ic

But here https://maps.app.goo.gl/ui77aaysc3Ce5NYXA?g_st=ic would be better as it’s closer to the access up to the centre of 1800. Next to the roundabout there’s a lift that takes you up to the shops, bus station (decent toilets & showers, although the showers look like they need a swipe tag to get in to) and the bottom of the lifts.

It’s €22 for the first 24hrs, gets cheaper the longer you stay I think.

There might be free parking in 1600 but we didn’t check it out.

toby1

My body reminds me I’m 45. I feel like I’ve been in a car crash

I’ve hit 46 this year and I feel banged up despite not having been to the slopes yet this year, I’m hoping a) I can get into better shape and have a comfortable back again by mid March and b) there’s a couple of weeks of snow fall between now and then.

I miss the mountains.

Edukator
    Free Member

Rain , snow, rain … status quo. Skinned up this morning until the wind got unpleasant. Statistically this is the coldest week of the year. It’s really mild, birds were singing around the pistes before the wind got up, skiing is ****.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Gnommmmm

Go on son. I’ll meet you at the bottom!

Edukator
    Free Member

Snow bridges over two crevasses, I wonder why no-one had tracked that line before him (no question mark).

oldtennisshoes

Currently in Cervinia. More snow and lower temps than same week for the past 2 years. A bit weird considering most of it is south facing. Not complaining though.

IMG_0330

thegeneralist
    Free Member

They’re not crevasses.

Edukator
    Free Member

Looks remarkably like a bergschrund for something that’s not a crevasse.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yeah. It opened up in December when they had loads of rain after a huge dump. Then it all froze up again just before new year. It pretty much exactly the same shape as it was when we were here for New Year.

I Defo wouldn’t have let him do that over an actual crevasse.

Or in early december. Or indeed when it warms up again.

Edukator
    Free Member

All good. Junior has got to a stage where I trust his judgement more than my own in terms what’s skiable, and my own judgement as to whether I can ski it. 🙂

fooman

After years of skiing my lad has just switched to snowboard which had the unexpected benefit of mrsfoo joining us on the slopes for the first time in 5 years, she figured we wouldn’t be going as fast and steep as we had previously.

PXL_20240212_082222857-01

We’ve mainly been at Port du Mont Blanc which has lots of pleasant tree lined blues but boy is it like spring conditions, the lower slopes are pretty soft by the afternoon and many home runs are closed. Megève home run is just hanging on but with no snow forecast until the end of the month it’s looking a bit sad.

PXL_20240214_093541915-01

smokey_jo

After bailing on the Jan trip have booked a 3v trip to La Tania for mid march.

Daily weather watching will now commence. If it’s awful conditions I might have a 1/2 day lesson on a board 🤯

Edukator
    Free Member

There’s a bit more natural snow here and it was a lot better today both on and off piste than Monday which was particularly depressing. Valentine’s day so up and down with Madame. Daffodils out in the garden.

Viewing 18 posts - 281 through 298 (of 298 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.