Viewing 14 posts - 441 through 454 (of 454 total)
  • ⛷️ ❄️ Skiing and Snowboarding 23-24 🏔️ 🏂
  • ocrider

PSA @tuboflard been in L2A since Saturday and it’s very warm. This morning it was already soft on the glacier with no overnight freeze, but there were some snowflakes around midday and the temperature is supposed to drop over the next few days. Both the runs down to resort level resemble a nasty skid mark and are closed.

Bring bikes, the Venosc DH  tails are running really nicely and the tail crew are working on them daily!

tuboflard

Thanks @ocrider, I’d seen from the camera that the runs back to base are shut from the cameras. I’m still hopeful for things to freeze and firm up a bit in the coming days as it is definitely going to get a lot colder between now and the end of the week. There might even be a dusting too.

I’d like to consider getting on a bike but the run to Venosc is probably beyond my comfort zone at the moment, did it a number of times a few years back on a DH bike and really enjoyed it but I’ve not ridden much this year and also the bloke I’m going with doesn’t do bikes (his loss not mine). Will just make the most of what’s there and if all else fails, sit in a deck chair and do a spot of sunbathing.

tuboflard

First good day at Les Deux Alpes. Very cold up on the glacier this morning and windy with it too. But had a good cruise around the resort familiarising myself with it and had a cheeky beer on the slopes.

It’s clouded over now and there’s been the occasional flurry too but no accumulation to speak of. It’s been busier than I thought it might be though, lots of Dutch youths about.

IMG_0409

BoardinBob

First good day at Les Deux Alpes.

Excellent. We absolutely loved it and I reckon we’ll go back again next easter. If you haven’t already found them, i recommend

La Cantine de Tom

Smithy’s

L’Ours Blanc pub

ocrider

It’s been busier than I thought it might be though, lots of Dutch youths about.

I’ve been here in April when the whole board park has been closed for the Belgian national champs and a polish music festival. A  crowd of Dutch and Brit students barely scratches the surface! I had to queue a few minutes on the signal chair just before midday today and that’s about all the waiting I’ve had all week.

I’ll be back next year if only to test out the decadence of the jandri gondola’s replacement. It’s been cool watching the work progress over the week whilst on the lift.

RustyNissanPrairie

Give me a like if you’ve had a La Belouga in Chamonix. Old school 1st generation ‘boarders can only apply.

‘ChamJam 97, ski Rossendale posse! Burton Contacts, Floaters and Customs FTW!

tuboflard

Thanks @BoardinBob, did Cantine De Tom for dinner tonight and it was good and reasonably priced.

@ocrider
    , yep the new lift is going to be amazing, been a lot of helicopter action today lifting the part of the towers in to place. And no real queues to speak of, just slightly spoiled last year in Val d’Isere where there was nobody about so sharing a piste is a bit of a novelty. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Edukator
    Free Member

I first rode a board in Chamonix in 1988, complete with rear entry ski boots and crampon type step-in bindings.

RustyNissanPrairie

We started early mid 90’s as crossover from BMX and skateboarding once soft boots became a thing. Most of the ‘crew in that photo lived in Rossendale so we had the dry slope at our disposal but we had to fight for the right to use it as the manager was anti-snowboarder. We were at the right time and age – a few of us got sponsored and did seasons in Cham and Les Arc. Off piste hiking and backcountry boarding in Valley of the Kings Les Arc and Cham La Tour is probably the best sporting/hobby thing I’ve ever done. All of us piled in the back of a rental van shivering through the night at Glenshees snow barrier waiting for the ‘plough in the morning was never a highlight.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Yep, first boarded in my SX92 Equipe ski boots on a rental board that looked like a massive wooden ice cream spoon! I returned to skiing soon after, it was less painful.

BoardinBob

94 was my first year. Simple 158 board, Burton custom bindings and northwave boots

tuboflard

I must be a relative youngster as didn’t strap a board on until 1996, a Burton custom 152 with Northwave boots as well. First trip was to Risoul, struggled with the drag lifts and also fell in a river.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Sobering

https://www.data-avalanche.org/avalanche/1713293054366

The lift closed on Friday and on Monday, as they were PREPARING for avalanche control to ensure the closing of the mountain was safe, this happened.  Under that snow there a number of avalance defences that were simply overwhelmed.

tuboflard

My season is finally over. Had a great few days in Les Deux Alpes, fresh tracks and sunshine. Saturday and Sunday turned out to be pretty quiet actually after a busyish Friday. Already itching to sort trips out for next winter.

Busy piste up on the glacier yesterday.

IMG_0226

Viewing 14 posts - 441 through 454 (of 454 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM