Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,201 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • duckman

Think I am in, accompanied Ms D around the Ring of Steall last week.

ElShalimo

@GolfChick – be careful up on the Horns of Alligin if it’s windy !

GolfChick
    Free Member

Only supposed to be 4/5mph on Wednesday so hopefully should be ok.

fingerbang
    Free Member

@postierich you’ve got a great real name for this thread. Ronnie Corbett and Alfred Wainwright agree

Futureboy77

Probably one of the most photographed Cairngorm vistas for yesterday’s lunch spot.

swavis

Likes ^ 😎

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think it was the Beinn Alligin ridge where you have to go thru a little cave, we had to clear the snow from the entrance to get into it (might be wrong ridge, it was a long time ago, I’ve got a pic somewhere).

Tom-B
    Free Member

Bowscale Fell, Bannerdale Crag, Mungrisdale Common (**** me what a waste of time) and Souther Fell all ticked off the Wainwright’s list. Mega day out, only saw a handful of folks and even though they’re not the highest, the views were amazing.

whitestone
    Free Member

@Tom-B – totally agree about Mungrisdale common, simple bookfiller, unfortunately there’s a lot of them. The fells on the edge of the district have great views,

lotto
    Free Member

What are people wearing on their feet for summer days on the bigger mountains? My summer boots need replaced so was looking around for end of season deals. I see people with mudclaw type sole lightweight boots but wondered about amount of support given.

Tom-B
    Free Member

@whitestone yeah I thought that the views were amazing yesterday. Always nice to get different panoramas, and I’m finding that the more Wainwright’s I tick, the more I appreciate the different views, looking back on hills that we’ve climbed from different perspectives etc

@lotto
    all depends on what you’re doing/terrain etc. I’ve done multi day hikes in dry weather abroad on good paths and been fine in my Salomon Ultras trainers…If I’m carrying a bigger pack then I do prefer bigger boots though. UK stuff I sometimes use my Ultras in the summer if it’s been dry for ages and were not going anywhere too boggy. Even in the height of summer in the UK it’s fairly common to end up in boggy terrain, which means more often than not ‘proper’ boots and gaiters for me. Although my year round ‘proper’ boots currently are Salomon Ultra Mids….which are a kind of hybrid traditional hiking boot/trail running shoe. More companies seem to be offering this type of thing nowadays.

Spin
    Free Member

What are people wearing on their feet for summer days on the bigger mountains?

I haven’t used boots in summer for about 20 years. Fell shoes are lighter and more comfortable. I don’t think boots really provide much support, they will keep you drier longer and give some ankle protection if that’s important to you though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

What are people wearing on their feet for summer days on the bigger mountains?

Inov8 Rocklite 325 (none lined fell mid shoe)
    Inov8 Roclite G 345 GTX (goretex lined fell mid shoe)
    Scarpa marmolada trek (trad walking boot)

There’s pros and con of walking boot vs mountain marathon / fell shoe, which you can only decided for yourself what’s important to you. I also use custom footbeds which make a difference especially in the light soled trail/fell shoes.

swavis

I use Salomon fabric boots, they’re really comfy and not too heavy.
    I’ve actually just bought some new Mammut boots for winter walking as my Scarpa’s turn my heels to mince so I’ll be wearing them about the house this weekend in the hope that I get on better with them 😀

Futureboy77

I tried running/approach shoes (innov8, Terrex and Garmont) and couldn’t get on with the lack of ankle support.
    As above, you really need to try and see if it works for you.

I’m back to wearing traditional walking boots (Zamberlan for summer and La Sportiva for winter) and always change the insoles to Superfeet.

lowey

I was brought up fell walking by my mum and dad. Walked the 3 peaks (Yorkshire) by the time I was 9 and done most of the Wainwright’s by the age of 18 when I found mountain bikes. Probably done 15 proper fell walks since. So today, inspired by Nobeer’s Catbells pics on Instagram I climbed Catbells. For some unknown reason probably the only summit in the area I’ve never climbed. In biblical rain.

Its totally destroyed my knees. Great fun though. Would post pics but don’t know how.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Lakes in the winter for me with hopefully a load of snow and ice.

matt_outandabout

@lowey – awesomely bad day, but at least it would be quieter.

claudie

Last 3 days spent in the Peak District for me and my wife. First non children break in 17 years! Had a great time doing Win Hill and Hope Cross, Margery Hill, Edale and Crookstone. Last day was a wet one but still a really good day. Very impressed with the Outside Shop in Hathersage, great advice and innkeepers lodge was a good place to stay

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff Lowey, probably just sore cos you haven’t done it for a while, yer too used to having 30lb of carbon, alloy and rubber on yer back!.

Weather was shite today, so just kept it local while the wee one was horsing it up, ticked off a wee Donald in the Lowthers. Still good mind, good test for the new gloves and gaiters, not exactly a walk that needs gaiters, but I’ve never worn them, so just getting fit right for winter.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Is it just me that enjoys walking in the rain? As long as it’s not too windy mind. Yeah the views are fairly limited, but I just find it quite fun. I think the fact that it’s so easy to stay completely warm and dry compared to mountain biking is part of its appeal to me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d say by far the biggest driver for me in going to the mountains is the views, if it’s pissin, then a big part of the day is lost.

YMMV.

slowoldman

When I was young and daft (and fit) I used to love being out in shitty weather. Not so much these days.

dovebiker

Took advantage of the weather on Tuesday to go around the carries of Corrie an Lochain, Corrie an t-Sneachda and Cairngorm – towed around by my dog, Esther

Last time I stood at the top of the central gully on Coire an Lochain was about 1986 and jumped down it with skis on my feet.

Final summit was Cairngorm – selfie-central with drones buzzing overhead – get in the sea!

Footwear-wise I like moving pretty quick – Salomon S-lab Alp-X Carbon are light enough to run in, stiff enough for rock and snow and waterproof to the ankle. I’ve also got a couple of pairs of Hoka boots – really comfy for non-technical stuff but they get a bit sketchy on technical descents. Might try some of the newer Inov-8 boots too- provided the uppers are good.

Tom-B
    Free Member

That looks amazing!!!! Yeah I **** hate drones!!!

DavidB
    Free Member

We are heading to Harris soon, any must do’s?

ElShalimo

Croft36 bakery !!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Might try some of the newer Inov-8 boots too- provided the uppers are good.

I love mine, but jury still out between goretex lined and unlined / just accept that your feet will get wet, I’ve always bought on the principle of let water out as easily as it will surely get in.. problem is they seem to have ditched the none goretex ones. My none goretex ones I’ve had for a couple of years and they have held up well, the goretex ones are relatively new. One downside is the newer boots have round wiry laces which aren’t as good to tie as the flat laces that came on older boots.

Futureboy77

Nice autumnal morning in the Lairig Ghru this morning. It closed in quickly on the tops though.

Spin
    Free Member

Last time I stood at the top of the central gully on Coire an Lochain

Do you mean ‘The Couloir’? http://www.steepscotland.info/coire_an_lochain/

ElShalimo

Anyone got any weekend walking plans?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yep. Sunday, probably head to Lakes even though I’m guessing it’ll be rammed!

Any suggestions as to a decent bet for a quieter area? The last two walks I’ve done there were supposed to be quiet and were pretty busy!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The wife has rather foolishly taken a shift doing covid testing on saturday, and my daughter goes horseriding from 10-4 about 25 minutes drive from the Rhinn of Kells, so I’ll head there, mibbe for a bit of a run cum walk.

Edit – although the last time I was up on Corserine, I did have the thought that it would make a good descent, mibbe take the Bronson instead!.

slowoldman

Yep. Sunday, probably head to Lakes even though I’m guessing it’ll be rammed!

I’m heading up mid week next week so hopefully will be quiet.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I see planning permission for a vistor centre and 150 parking spaces has been granted at Glen Finnich (Devils pulpit).

No doubt there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but I’m of the opinion that this is a good thing on balance. Lots of other places now in the same situation, Arrochar Alps, Ben Lomond (MRT couldn’t access for a rescue last weekend due to the amount of cars dumped by the roadside, and over their access gate) could do with doing similar, loads of other places are the same.

Lakes ditto.

This new normal of folks exploring their own country (yes yes, cars, pollution, gluepots, I know) has to be factored in now, and embraced, as the cat is out of the bag now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ooft, that’s braw!

lotto
    Free Member

This new normal of folks exploring their own country (yes yes, cars, pollution, gluepots, I know) has to be factored in now, and embraced, as the cat is out of the bag now.

Another recent phenomenon is “camper vans” parked in every passing place on a single track road. Gone past the inconsiderate stage, to the downright dangerous. On the way out at night they are invariably unoccupied again, apart from the carrier bags full of rubbish left behind. Heartbreaking.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it’s grim that.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Just don’t tarnish all of us van drivers with the same brush. We never park in a passing place and never leave a speck behind us. Have witnessed lots of rubbish being left behind and rubbish in general but those we’ve come across haven’t left anything and have been very respectful of their surroundings. I’ve heard a lot of owners are experiencing grief as a result of this influx of new owners but we’re not all the same!

Unfortunately the weather man lied and when we got up to do our scramble it was soaking wet and visibility was none existence so we drove a very long way round to get to aviemore instead. Hoping to do some more scrambles soon, before the weather really turns.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.