Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 1,201 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • Dickyboy

2/3 through our Hadrians wall walk

Winshields it’s called, quirky place with friendly owners.

5 of us stayed there last night in the bunkbarn, was more like a luxury dormitory & great host who’s been there since 2019 👍 Twice brewed served nice roasts but less impressed with their brews 🤔.
    Walking has been great if a little soggy today, had some great food in Cumbria Park Hotel, Carlisle & from Megs cafe in Gilsland, off grid camping in Banks was great – we stayed in their Shepherds hut. Been so nice to have such a variety of accommodation, food and terrain, just 2 days to go.

Spin
    Free Member

A few from Skye this weekend

282701849-10160041279494198-3930671041877486157-n

283931550-10160041279434198-8342906891131229210-n

283741234-10160041279579198-3281656755185016615-n

284696074-10160041279759198-4348770923640899546-n

284379201-10160041279394198-8950459435504334925-n

284588487-10160041279499198-1809974652211823557-n

283457466-10160041281569198-919150503679522543-n

dovebiker

Deleted because this site is a pile o poo for linking photos…

gallowayboy

You may be in this spin, if you look REAL close…
    Rum ridge
    (Hopes posting image from phone works
    🤞)

gallowayboy

Ah it’s posted as a link. Try this.
    rum ridge
    Ah well guess Imgur on the mobile is a no no….

Spin
    Free Member

You may be in this spin, if you look REAL close…
    Rum ridge

Can see it if I click the link. Never been to Rum, did you have a good trip?

gallowayboy

Yes, brilliant but Only two days on rum, after 4 on Eigg. Rum cuillin is not as full on as Skye but still a wonderful wild place. White tailed eagle flew over us while we swam at kilmory bay this morning! Had a magical three weeks up here from sandwood bay down to th small isles. Skye looks brilliant, haven’t been on the ridge for years……

matt_outandabout

A change of hills last week.

Mugarra (936m) in the Basque country – dozens of 3m wingspan Griffon Vultures and a seriously steep ascent and ridge. 👍

null

Now we’ve moved to Picos de Europa.

This week starts with the Cares Gorge walk – we went from North to South, about 20km. Just stunning – from the vertical drops, to the engineering of the path, to the vultures and eagles above.

Zoom in on first pic to see youngest_oab and mrs_oab

We’re staying in Colio, with this as a view.

We have a few plans for the higher peaks of the Picos de Europa, but some dampness/thunderstorms may keep us lower the next two days.

ElShalimo

Great photos. The last time we were in the gorge it was 38C…. 🔥🔥🔥

Electrical storms are common up high in the summer. We walked to Bulnes refugio years ago to do a multi day route. The guardian told us to go back the way we came the next day due to storms.

There are some nice easier, slightly lower peaks south of Potes with great 360 views if you want a warm up for the bigger hills.e.g. Coriscao

matt_outandabout

Cracking day on the hill.

Early start meant most of the climb was done in cool morning – it is 28*c this afternoon…
    Cable car from Fuente De is pretty impressive – 4mins to do 740m of climb.
    A cracking wander up an amazing valley, then last steep pull up onto the top of Torre de los Horcados Rojos (2506m).
    Wandering down we were glad of the huge amount of water and extra biscuits we had taken.
    Now sat with a cold one…

null

ElShalimo

Happy days!!

Did you stop at the tiny refuge? The one that was an old US Navy gun turret? Cabana Veronica?

matt_outandabout

We didn’t – it seemed 3/4 of the people were heading there, not to the hills. There was quite the crowd there buying drinks and snacks. An amazing little place though.

matt_outandabout

This was my 10th time to Arran. I’ve walked or cycled every hill on the island – except Goat Fell. This was due to having a buddy who lived and worked there not wanting to join the crowds for his 2nd or even 3rd ascent in a week. I’ve even walked up to the North Ridge with him, but headed into Glen Sannox without ‘nipping up’.
    Sorted it today.

Finished with a ferry ride home on what felt like the Mediterranean not the Clyde.

ElShalimo

👍👍👍

matt_outandabout

What was really satisfying is the summit has a panorama ID going on. Apart from the Paps of Jura and one Argyll Corbett, we had climbed every hill visible – and there was a blooming lot of them.

Edit: I think I need to move house further north to get nearer to the hills I’ve not done…

stevedoc
    Free Member

Not just about the trails in Morezine 2466m and most of the day but well worth it

matt_outandabout

🙌

tractionman

the Mourne Mountains, Northern Ireland, out and about

matt_outandabout

Nice – somewhere I’ve got on “The List”…

walowiz

Some really inspirational pics on this thread.

I have tried the new forum search function, but thought I’d post on this thread regardless- anyone got a recommendation for a good comfortable day sack ? Just to carry the usual for 4 & the dog for hill walking.

I’ve got mtb hydration packs, large rucksacks, commuting bike ones, but trying Them all out last week – they’re all quite a bit bulky and heavy for carrying walking all day long. Looking online there’s simply a ridiculous amount of choice. I’d just be picking one out at random doing that.

matt_outandabout

We have (8!) Patagonia, Osprey, Gregory and Lowe Alpine packs in the household, all of which would be ‘day sacks’ of 20-40lt variety.

IMO, the Gregory and Lowe Alpine are best. Way better comfort than the Patagonia, more simple spec than the Osprey, more durable while also being lighter than the Gregory. The Lowe Alpine’s ‘just work’. The Gregory is an ace womens fit – but is a tad heavier and more rigid than the Lowe Alpine’s.

One son got an Aeon 27 – and after borrowing it, his brother now has one. Which I borrow now.
    And I have an Aeon 27 on my Christmas list….

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/rucksacks/medium/lowe_alpine_aeon_27_pack-11254

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/daypack-womens/gregory-maya-22

slowoldman

Just to carry the usual for 4 & the dog for hill walking.

What? You are carrying it all?

Anyway my default day sacs (all obsolete) are an ancient 25L KIMM for lightweight walks, Arcteryx Aerios 30L for longer trips, cooler weather, more stuff and a heavier weight Arcteryx Needle for winter use. Plus many many others gathered over the years for various activities.

Agree that Lowe and Osprey are well worth a look.

ElShalimo

I agree with a lot of the above, for mainstream brands look at Osprey, Gregory, Lowe Alpine (now part of Rab)

If you see any Vaude or Deuter bags in the shop have a good look at them as they are very good quality too. The Germans know a thing or two about der rucksacks

If you know exactly what you want look at Aiguille Alpine as they make great kit here in the UK.

ElShalimo

Anglesey coastal walk on Monday

matt_outandabout

Vaude

So tempted to do a German bike tour and include picking up some Vaude gear. My oldest rucksack was a Vaude – made it from 1992 to 2021, on almost daily use for university, commuting and riding in general.

matt_outandabout

A couple of local skips this last couple of weeks:

Catching A’an on an early morning before the hordes arrive.

Catching Dumyat after the hordes have gone.

ElShalimo

Pen Pumlumon Fawr a couple of weeks ago. The cloud and drizzle were welcome after the hot weather.

chickenman

The Mrs is getting very close to finishing her munros but had only done the four easiest Cuillin. She is terrified of exposure, hates scrambling, scree, steep grass and boulder fields so it really looked like it would never happen. This year we had two days in the Cuillin, Gillean & Bastier and MhicChoinnich and the In Pinn; somehow something clicked in her brain, she struggled on the scree, boulders, steep grass and scrambling but cruised the roped climbing and abseiling. I was really impressed!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

One son got an Aeon 27 – and after borrowing it, his brother now has one. Which I borrow now.
    And I have an Aeon 27 on my Christmas list….

Good choice. I have one and love it. Just wish they made a slightly bigger version for winter rides.
    It also makes a brilliant back protector, as I discovered in Austria last month.

cruised the roped climbing and abseiling. I was really impressed!

I recall the looks of confusion, consternation then bewilderment from the gathered Munro baggers when my missus lead the Inn Pinn… nothing special about that you say… except she was nearly 7 months pregnant and had to use one hand to keep her harness from slipping below her enormous bump 😊. Meant that placing any protection was impossible. But I guess you could argue it was too late for protection at that point 😄😁😆.

chickenman

Another go at posting Google photos, wish me luck…

chickenman

Another go…I’m a fud!

chickenman

The wee man, same place aged nine (he’s 24 tomorrow!)

ElShalimo

Great photos!!!

chickenman

Well it was a walk as I pushed my bike up (July this year) the mule track from near La Hermida up to Treviso in the Picos de Europa, it was about 35deg so bloody hard work. The plus side was the ride down, lots of loose rock to surf through but good fun, no idea if it’s allowed.

ElShalimo

Nice

Anyone got any hillwalking plans this weekend?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Heading up to Fort William for a week and hope to get out 3 or 4 days. Looking at the Carn Ghluasaid group, Loch Lochy munros and a couple up Glen Finnan.

Plenty choice up there so plans might change.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for a big day out in the peaks, meeting somewhere fairly accessible from both north and south? Ideally a bit off the beaten track if possible.

ElShalimo

How about Crowden – Laddow Rocks – Black Hill – Holme Moss – Crowden ?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve heard of none of those places but will certainly investigate – thanks for the suggestion.

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 1,201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.