Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,197 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • ElShalimo

That sounds great.

We rode Abergavenny – Llanthony – Gospel pass – Craswall – Skirrid Inn – back to Aber recently. It was a great day out with a nice bridleway section to avoid the drop to Hay

GolfChick
    Free Member

Well after getting rained off on last years trip to Scotland we were more successful this time and so on Ash’s 44th birthday we took on Beinn Alligin, did it clockwise but I think next time I would gone for anti clockwise. Then a few days later we saw another opportunity and walked up the mighty and astonishing Suilven!!

I’m now considering starting to chip away at the Wainwrights considering we now live in Cumbria.

matt_outandabout

Stunning.

I was hoping to get mrs_oab back up there for a few days in October, but not sure it’s going to happen now…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Me too Matt, but the short days are rolling in fast.

Was supposed to be going to Torridon this weekend for a compleation, but completely forgot it’s a training weekend, so that’s that gubbed.

claudie

I was one of the idiots attempting to hike in the lakes this week. Looking for advice on gaitors as feet got very wet. I was wearing waterproof keen boots and waterproof over trousers so I’m guessing the water wicked down my socks. Do gators work, do you wear them over the waterproof trousers, any recommendations to length, or even brand and type. Also, the rain covers on all our different brand ruck sacks were useless, I’m going back to liners. Finally, I’ve always been a bit underwhelmed with my paramo Quito which I’ve had for years but it performed faultless – completely dry after 6 hours in heavy rain and the venting zips worked well

boblo
    Free Member

A gator yesterday:

florida-2nd-alligaotr-attack

🙃

boblo
    Free Member

Aaaaand…

Gaiters under ovies. Even with overtrousers and a top end hardshell jacket, you’ll get wet eventually.

Rain gets in through the facehole and wicks down your front and up your sleeves from the hand holes. It then wicks down the front of your troos and often joins in with condensation to wet your legs – even with the most expensive fabrics. On a biblical day, you’ll still get wet feet from rain wicking down troos/socks and the Gore-Tex boot liner eventually letting water in.

There’s always holes somewhere that aren’t sealed plus condensation even when you spend the most money possible. When it’s really bad for long enough, you’ll be getting wet at some point.

The humble plastic sac liner still outperforms the taped/expensive liner options IME.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

By default, I wear my gaiters under my waterproof trousers, as I’ll start off with them on over top of boots and trousers, and invariably pull on waterproofs after when it starts to rain. This means the water runs off and over gaiters, so works well.

Not having gaiters, and wearing fabric type boots, I have had days where the wet grass has caused the outers of my boots to get soaked, and ‘leak’ over and into the inside. Gaiter help this no end.

As for the pack rain covers, I reckon the rain runs down the straps and inside the rain cover, so I never use them. I have all my kit in dry bags, not only does it keep stuff dry, it means I know where everything is, which works really well camping too.

matt_outandabout

Nothing will beat some of the current weather.

Another gaiters under over trousers here – and remember that no gaiter is breathable enough, so they do get damp over a day anyway.

We have Black Diamond Cirque short gaiters for short of leg mrs_oab – they fit well, stay in place and suit short of leg. I have Rab goretex gaiters – less well fitted but noticeably more breathable, too long for short legs but ideal for mine.

I am another plastic bags are better than dry bags, and that pack covers do very little when it gets really wet. Everything in my pack is in a plastic bag, lid pockets I use ziploc bags.

If it isn’t windy, umbrella is ace ;-)_

claudie

Thanks all, good advice

impatientbull

Gaiters under over trousers in the rain, but gaiters over (over) trousers if you’re walking through snow.

ElShalimo

A couple of weeks ago in the Forest of Bowland

I love these signs

matt_outandabout

Gaiters under over trousers in the rain, but gaiters over (over) trousers if you’re walking through snow.

Gwahn, why is that? (As a habitual gaiters under wearer…)

impatientbull

Gwahn, why is that? (As a habitual gaiters under wearer…)

If you’re walking through snow then snow going up your trousers is a bigger problem than it getting down your gaiters from the top.

matt_outandabout

I’m going to experiment this winter then. One leg in, one leg out.

Still the best solution was my old Patagucci XCR breeks with inbuilt snow gaiters…

boblo
    Free Member

Nah. I think he’s made that up. Gaiters under ovies snow/rain/peat slop etc – lifetime wearer…

ElShalimo

I always wear gaiters as the outer layer. More insulation, better scuff resistance on rocks and they’re easy to get on and off anyway. If you have to stop for overtroos on/off then another 30 seconds for gaiter removal isn’t an issue

ElShalimo

Has anyone got any good photos from recent walks??

franksinatra

Eh? What is this chat about wearing gaiters wrong. Clearly they go under your waterproof trousers.

slowoldman

This is as bad as bog roll and washing up. Of course gaiters go under over trousers.

matt_outandabout

Too busy riding bikes and being drawn into long family wedding events that last a week at a time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sadly not, last 3 weekends have been lost to DIY 😪

Blackflag
    Free Member

Anyone got any good suggestions for walks in SE lakes. Nice and easy to get to from the M6 coming from the south. Normally head into the central fells but with the light dropping so much I can’t be faffed with driving all the way in and dealing with the excess traffic.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Kentmere Horsehoe?.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Cheers. Done that one, its awesome.

slowoldman

Have you had a look over the other side of the M6 – Howgills?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, was gonna suggest crossfell or high cup gill? Wee bit further north, but not far off M6

ElShalimo

I suggested this a while ago on another thread but if the cloud is not low then park at Barbon church hall and walk up Eskholme, Castle Knott, Calf Top, back via the valley from Fellside (car at each end is much better)

dufresneorama
    Free Member

From Loch Lomond way in September…

dufresneorama
    Free Member

An Socach last weekend…

Was bloody windy, cold and wet but felt all the better for getting out. Definitely time to swap the autumn bag contents for the winter gear now. Was expecting a bit of snow to be fair as the Angus Glens got a dusting, but nothing up Glenshee yet.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Blackflag, we did a horseshoe walk from Sadgill a few months ago tarn Crag, Branstree, Harter fell, Kentmere pike.

edit, was also going to suggest the Barbon village hall – calf top circuit, but seen it’s been suggested.

It’s probably less than 20 mins from M6 J36 to Ingleton, 25 mins to Chapel le dale, from where various circuits of whernside/Ingleboro can be worked out

Blackflag
    Free Member

Both Sadgill and Barbon routes look just the ticket. Cheers all.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

For the start of the circuit from sadgill parking area there’s no paths marked on OS maps up Sleddale Fell (Great Howe – tarn Crag – Branstree) but the path is there on the ground with a stile from the parking area.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Cheers, what’s the parking like at Sadgill? Looks quite limited. Is it one of those get there for 8am or your knackered type deals?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You can see on google maps satellite view, there’s probs space for about 8-9 cars but inevitably on your day there’ll be one parked by some div who clearly didn’t consider others. We met mid week at 10am and were the only car there, weekends might be different I expect.

mark88

what’s the parking like at Sadgill?

normally quite a few cars squeezed on the verge up the track but not sure what it’ll be like after this rain. The church at Kentmere is a safer bet (£4 cash IIRC).

Has anyone tried the Bestard boots currently on Sports Pursuit? They look decent and well priced but I don’t think I’ve come across them before.

Blackflag
    Free Member

I doesn’t the Church at Kentmere only have about 5 spaces and once they are gone there are zero options?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My mate was in a bothy on friday night in Feshie. Guy sticks his nose in, sees it’s full, so backs out, and locks the door!.

He was there with his dad and his uncle, who had a mole at the counter 🙂 and subsequently popped the door open with a spade, haha!.

Spin
    Free Member

I doesn’t the Church at Kentmere only have about 5 spaces and once they are gone there are zero options?

There’s sometimes a field further down the road opened up with an honesty box but I don’t know if that’s a regular thing.

slowoldman

had a mole at the counter 🙂 and subsequently popped the door open with a spade

Eh?

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,197 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.