Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,197 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sent.

Mrs nobeer got a new Osprey pack recently, bucket zip on the top, which is much better than my Stratos trad style double clip and draw string. I notice lots of the range have this now.

benp1

@elshalimo – be careful with which one you pick, depending on your back length. I’m 6’3 but top and bottom halves all in standard proportion. I find Osprey bags in size M/L to be too small, they only work for me if they are available in three sizes, not two, and have a size L available. Or those that are heavier with lots of adjustment

I buy all my rucksacks (that I use a hip belt with) in long back length. Have around 20 rucksacks. Would definitely recommend the Aeon series from Lowe Alpine for day walks. Nice configuration of things and come in a long back length that’s still adjustable (and pretty light)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Christ, I thought I was bad at buyinmg a 3rd pack!.

a tad over 6’1″ here, L suits perfectly.

Garry_Lager

Has anyone done the Morecambe bay sands walk? I was in the area recently and thought that looked a superb trek – quite a special landscape (there’s actually a bridleway across it).

Unfortunately it’s not something recommended to just go and do – the risk of quicksand is legit so people do it on guided tours (Arnside to Grange over Sands currently) which is less appealing to me, but prob worth it for that particular walk.

ElShalimo

You REALLY need a guide for that walk or it could end in disaster. My friends did it a while ago and the guide showed them how dangerous it is just off the “path”. Of course the “path” changes with the seasons and tides so you really need the local expert to guide you across

ElShalimo

Looking towards Snowdon from above Beddgelert between the heavy showers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Grand.

ElShalimo

Anyone got any weekend walking plans?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We’re in the Cairngorms for a week from sunday, but I’m actually considering not taking the hill stuff, and just chilling on some lower level stuff, playing with paddle boards etc….

andy4d

Took the kids up Ben Cleuch (721m) today. It was my first time up the hills for many years. The up was fine but my god the down was burning the thighs. Reminded me how much I love it in the hills though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Even in this weather Matt, stilla boggy bastard that!.

Ochils are steep andy4d!

Had a cracking wee midweek high level camp up between Shelter stone crag and Carn Eatchachan. Was fantastic, didn’t start til after 6pm, to avoid the days heat, perfect time to be in the hills tbh, only met one other person on Macdui path, unheard of.

Was top hot the rest of the week to drag the bairn up mountains tbh.

IMG_20210723_073718600_HDR

IMG_20210723_080304171_HDR

IMG_20210723_090306814

Nowt this weekend, wife working.

matt_outandabout

Cracking pics, looks like a lovely night out.

@andy4d
    – Ochils are surprisingly steep and often ‘punch above thier height’. Lovely hills.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Matt, you need to just open pic on phone, share symbol, copy link, and paste that directly.

Used to be bbcode, not now mate.

chickenman

Beinn a Bheither with the wean on Monday, great pair of hills.

chickenman

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJCHxqfebD8Umquy6
    Another idiot attempt at posting a pic.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dunno how to post google pics, wish I did, could cut out flickr altogether!

Spin
    Free Member

Ochils are surprisingly steep and often ‘punch above thier height’. Lovely hills

I’ve done the Ochils 2000 race a few times and it’s a great route.

ElShalimo

@chickenman – great photo. It’s a really good day out on that horseshoe. I’ve done it a couple of times and the descent is quite tricky in bad weather

NZCol

Had a boomer day out last Sunday from Braemar, biked in towards Corrour then did Bienn Brohtain, Monadh Mor, Braeriach, Angels Peak, Cairn Toul, Devils Pt then back to bikes. It was quite hot and thankfully there were a number of streams to lie down in between running sections ! Beautiful day, gotta strike while the weather is good !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ooft, thats a cracking day, that’s the Munro’s we had to miss doing our 18 last month, due to the weather, need to get back up and get them done. How long do you reckon you were all in Col?.

NZCol

From getting on bike to getting off the bike it was 8h 30m inc a 30 min lunch stop (52km/1890m), that’s from LoD, another 35 mins each way if you bike in from Braemar. You can ride quite a long way up the track on the opp bank to the main Corrour track, there’s an obvs path heading up the water course to Bienn Brohtain. The Cleggs were mighty though so Smidge up even under your bike shorts !

Tom-B
    Free Member

Some awesome looking stuff above. Eventful July in the hills for me, continuing my ticking of the Wainwrights.

Bagged 2 at the start of July…..Hartson Dodd…..memorable as it was the first one that I ever ticked (on my first hiking trip to the Lakes with my gf, didn’t know what Wainwrights were then!) The reason for the return trip was so that I could propose! Rather foolishly she said yes….genuinely 5 minutes later we were sat in our storm shelter with our glasses of champagne, got hit by the worst storm I’ve ever had in the mountains!!!

They day after we had a lovely evening Stroll ticking Hartsop Above How.

This weekend just gone I did a solo 7 Wainwright tick around Buttermere, wildcamping just below High Crag. 21 miles in 26 degree heat, gruelling but absolutely awesome. Let me see if I can sort some pics. Now sat laid up with Covid planning my next adventures.

I definitely think that I need a better multi day rucksack. I can’t quite fit all of my gear into my Talon 33, so am using a 60l Vango that I used for general ‘backpacking’ in Asia. I’m keen on an Osprey Stratos 50….any suggestions?

matt_outandabout

I have a few Lowe Alpines (Crag Attack 45, Appalachian (?) 55 and an unknown retro bag). All have been faultless and comfy – the two bigger ones are older and heavier.

Youngest son has a Vaude Assymetric 55+8 – it is slightly smaller than the numbers suggest . But, uber comfy, really nicely made, seems to be the ‘slightly smaller than my hoofing old 60lt+ bags.

Eldest has a Deuter Air contact 55+10 – again a really comfy thing, a but more ‘industrial’ in design than the Vaude, more like the older Lowe Alpine’s.

Nothing beats my PURPLE Karrimor Alpinist 65 of 1993 vintage though. Sadly lost a couple of years ago 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What size do you reckon? Lowe do a handy 45/55, my Osprey Exos 48/58 is a good size and pretty light at under the kilo in 48 guise. I can get 5 days kit and food in that, not really tried it at 58 yet.

Congrats on proposal mate, 20 year anniversary here this Wednesday, bloody flown in!.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I reckon about 50 litres. I like the look of Exos 48, was hoping that the Stratos 50 would just be a less spendy option really. Realistically I get chance for 2/3 multi day trips per year, so it’s not something that will get huge amounts of use.

Congratulations on 20 years….I managed 3.5 first time around!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I might still have some 40% off osprey codes, I’ll let you know tomorrow, on my work laptop. If not, join mountaineering Scotland, get 40% off 👍🏻

matt_outandabout

I reckon about 50 litres

I would think similar.

25 years ago I did 3 – 5 days with 60lt, lid ‘extended’ for extra food early in the week.

Now, with lighter and more compact tent/stove/sleeping bag/waterproofs, I think I could fit in 50lts, with occasional lid extended in cold or extra food.

One I want to try out is a front bag and bigger hip pockets, so 40lt + front .

chickenman

A few weeks back went with the OH up Bla Bheinn, it stopped raining half way up and turned into a gorgeous evening, On the spur of the moment going back down I decided to traverse Clach Glas. I’ve done it 40 years ago in the other direction but going down Bla Bheinn to the putting is a challenging route find. The traverse itself surprised me in its sustained difficulty with some very long steep scrambley descents off the summit. Stunning experience.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/jphuW4eFUGZgBjFu9
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/7i4PpwzRVissc7WV8
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/LQFQ9JrekSJRnSmp9

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Matt, you ever watch RS outdoors on YouTube? He wears a similar looking bag set up, mibbe a bit lower, I’d imagine it can balance weight about quite well, and have good access.

Tom-B
    Free Member

My multi day gear is only suitable for 2/3 season really, so is all fairly small. I’ve done and overnight with my Talon 33 once, but it was a really squeeze, and I found that it was quite uncomfortable when that overloaded.

@nobeerinthefridge
    that’d be awesome!

Whilst I’ve got you…..any recommendations for walking routes in Scotland (very broad question I know!)

GF turns 30 in September and we’re doing a 9 day Scotland road trip in the motorhome. There’s a chance we’ll have our Gumotex Inflatable kayak by then too, so potential to combine a VERY easy paddle and hike. Or just an epic day route? Not got a set itinerary yet….she’s mentioned that she’d like to go to Aviemore area at some point though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tbh Tom, Matt is a lot more experienced than me!.

If you’re going to Aviemore, take advantage of the 600m start and get onto Cairngorm plateau. Lovely wee circuit up onto 1141, stob Coire an-t-sneachda, cairn lochan, Macdui, Carn Etchachan, then over cairngorm and back to ski centre.

Magic.

Then go play on loch an Eilein with the kayak.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Matt is it you that’s a fairly experienced peddler actually?

Any recommendations for a couple of new paddlers heading north? I seem to recall you posting some epic pictures involving Seals (not the singer) That’d be just the ticket if it’s accessible by new paddlers?

matt_outandabout

Where are you staying?

How much paddling have you done? Any rivers?

Tom-B
    Free Member

We’ll just be checking the weather forecast and driving to Scotland on September 19th…..no firm plans, so are looking for suggestions for hiking/kayaking to influence our itinerary….we’ll mix campsites/forestry commission stays with maybe 1 or 2 nights somewhere posh to treat the better half.

We have hired a kayak and paddled it around Coniston a few times. Certainly no rivers! I kayaked a bit in Scouts….we’re what I would describe as ‘enthusiastic, yet incredibly cautious’ with regards to water! The delay in Gumotex shipping is hampering the paddling practice that I’d planned on getting before the trip unfortunately.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Even in september, I’d book your campsites mate.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ah right 😭

matt_outandabout

+1 on booking this year.

This list is not extensive or complete, @beamers may know a few more places properly North East too.

On the way up: Loch Ard is a lovely explore, pretty sheltered, paths all round if needed.

Killin, Loch Tay – launch next to hotel (small fee to outdoor shop) and potter down the (flat) river to the islands and sandy beaches. Visit the castle with the hanging mound and tree…

Aviemore with a packable boat – Loch an Eilein should be lovely. I’ve not paddled there, only swum. Loch Morlich would be busier, but is a nice place. No islands though. @scotroutes must have paddled there.

Loch Maree – a bigger undertaking, but stick to the shore along from launching at the hotel and you can ‘hop’ between islands, rather than doing a big crossing. By then the birds should have finished nesting and you could land.

Loch Oich – there is a lovely day trip from Laggan Lock on Ceann Loch, down the canal, down Loch Oich (stick to the shoreline for shelter/short swim if it goes wrong), down the Canal again to Fort Augustus. Cycle back the way you came – we locked our boat up to a fence at the top basin.

For sheltered sea paddle – I was taken by Sheildaig bay last week. Just don’t get to close to the sea eagle nest…

After that there is a multitude of smaller places, a few sea paddling places (need more tide awareness, but Loch Sween in Argyll is lovely) etc.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Also, if you wanna eat out, book that in advance too, we managed one meal out in a week in Cairngorms last week, everywhere is booked out.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Wow some awesome stuff here! Much appreciated!

Slightly perturbed at the thought of booking anything ahead, let alone to eat out…..maybe we’ll just came the pizza oven that week then!

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,197 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.