In this issue: Benji covers a Classic Ride in the Long Mynd – by riding all of it in one go! We interview kids’ bikes pioneer and super-speedy racer Isla Rowntree, Chipps falls in love with Sun Valley, Idaho, Dave and Sim explore Bavaria and the route guide covers Exmoor. In the bike test we have three bikes for the bold: a Nicolai belt-drive 29er, a Salsa snow bike and a steel Jeff Jones machine. If you’ve ever considered taking a Dremel to ‘modify and improve’ a stock bike part, we have an interview with Dr Jon, someone you’ll feel a kinship with… and to keep you upright this winter, we have a test of ten mud tyres. All this, plus loads more columns, features, reviews and the usual amazing photography.
Singletrack Magazine Issue 69 Contents
Chipps calls for the return of the drinking, dallying sportsman to mountain biking.
10. Classic Rides: The Long Mynd
This mound of Shropshire hills contains many bridleway gems. Benji attempts to ride them all in one day.
20. Riding below the Weißerwusrtäquator
Sim and Dave drove to Bavaria in a van with two bikes and a lot of expectations.
32. Interview: Isla Rowntree
Racer, business owner, bike builder, pioneer… Benji interviews Isla Rowntree.
40. Column: Mike Ferrentino’s Blame the Dog
Fancy new bikes don’t necessarily make an old trail rideable.
43. Bike Test: Attention Seekers
Three show-stopping, exuberant bikes from Jones, Nicolai and Salsa.
This content is exclusive for Premier users.
If you are a Subscriber log in.
Subscriptions start from just £1.49
54. Singletrack Propaganda
If you’re a current subscriber, you get Premier access for free. If you’re not, it starts from £2 a month.
56. Interview: Dr Jon – The thinking man’s bike geek.
One man’s search towards the perfect bike, via freak bikes, big wheels and a Dremel.
68. Competition. Win an Ibis Mojo SL!
And read the funny story from Scot Nicol while you’re at it.
70. Through the Grinder.
It was sunny, it was rainy, it was cloudy. We were testing products in all of it.
- CATLIKE WHISPER PLUS HELMET
- RAB MECO 165 LONG SLEEVE ZIP TEE
- SHIMANO M985 XTR SHADOW PLUS REAR MECH
- MAXXIS IGNITOR EXO 29 X 2.1IN
- SHUTT VR PRO BIB SHORTS
- SUN-RINGLÉ BLACK FLAG EXPERT
- VAUDE MEN’S GRAVIT JACKET
- BELL DART HELMET
- GIRO SPREE HELMET
- RENTHAL KEVLAR GRIPS
- MAVIC STRATOS JERSEY
- EASTON KILO TENT
- NEMO OBI-1P TENT
- ROCKSHOX SID 120mm RLT Ti
- EASTON CARBON HAVEN WHEELS
84. Column: Something very English
Jenn Hopkins reflects on the world outside the window and not putting off that ride.
94. Head to head – Euro mail-order.
Bikes you can buy on the internets. Benji tests a Rose against a BeOne.
98. Travel Feature: Idaho
Chipps reckons that Sun Valley, Idaho, absolutely must be on your ‘one day I’ll ride there’ list.
112. Grouptest: Mud tyres
Ten mud tyres tested to keep you from sliding into trees this winter.
- BONTRAGER JONES MUD-X 2.0
- CONTINENTAL MUD 1.8 BLACK CHILI
- GEAX BARRO MUD 1.7
- KENDA KING OF TRACTION 1.8
- MAXXIS MEDUSA 2.1 EXCEPTION
- PANARACER CEDRIC GRACIA SOFT CONDITIONS 2.1
- SPECIALIZED STORM 2.0
- SCHWALBE DIRTY DAN 2.35
- MAXXIS WET SCREAM SUPER TACKY 2.5
- SCHWALBE MUDDY MARY 2.35 FREERIDE
122. Fitness Questions with Matt Hart
Keeping fit this winter. Should you go night riding? What about running? Matt Hart answers all.
126. Route Guide: Exmoor
Benji takes on the sandstone and gorse of this West Country classic
138. Singletrack Premier
Over 100 deals to be had for Singletrack Premier Members.
142. Outro – classic photos
Martin Hawyes trialsing in Paris: Chipps scans another slide from the archives.