• This topic has 89 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by fibre.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Zwift – state of the nation.
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Well a few more sessions in and I can’t see me going back to Trainer Road now. Pretty much does everything TR does (if you link it to Strava or Training Peaks for analysis) and a whole lot more. There’s loads sites sprung up around Zwift too doing all sorts of clever analysis, organising races and group rides.

The GUI is rubbish, and it’s ludicrous that i need to still run a Garmin to track stuff like laps, avg lap power, TSS etc. if I’m doing some ad hoc intervals (that really should be built into the mobile link app) but all that aside it’s really rather good.

Mentioned on the Zwift thread, was doing a horrid 4×8 today in Zwift that I’d built using their workout creator. Cracked a minute into the last interval. Looked up and spotted that Fox Hill was just up the road with a current KOM of around 7 minutes, dropped out of workout mode and set off for a KOM 🙂 I’d never have managed that extra effort on TR but when you have a big hill with a banner at the top and are passing other riders, it’s actually surprisingly motivating!

Been a happy customer of TrainerRoad for years and must have logged close to a thousand hours with them, but unless they come up with something quick to retain their customer base, I can’t see how they can compete with Zwift.

mduncombe
    Free Member

says it all really.

Kryton57

Been a happy customer of TrainerRoad for years and must have logged close to a thousand hours with them, but unless they come up with something quick to retain their customer base, I can’t see how they can compete with Zwift.

I don and can’t be bothered to create my own workouts, so until theres a a TR like disciopline focussed library I won’t be moving.

Having said that, I’d deferring to a ZCH or similar Zwift Training ride on Sunday for 3hrs, 1hr at Z2, 1hr at Z3 and 1hr 5on 5 off. IF I can get through the duration.

crosshair
    Free Member

You can upload workout files direct from ‘other sources’.
    However, some guy from Trainer Road posted on the Zwift Riders FB page and asked people not to 😉 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

You can upload workout files

^^^ This. Notice that TrainingPeaks now has the capability to export workouts in Zwift format too.

Zwift already provides a pretty big catalogue of workouts too. And the file format they use is fairly open so it won’t be long before plans are being published all over the place with downloadable workouts.

Probably explains why TR have been moving into integrating the plans and workouts into the tool and having better tracking of plans as this isn’t something Zwift does, but probably won’t be long before someone’s doing it for Zwift.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve just gone through the free 25km using a cheap Tacx Blue Matic Smart I bought from Halfords over Crimbo (using my iPhone).

Can’t really see much info on the small screen and destroys the battery!

Upstairs spare room is being emptied tomorrow and the laptop/old TV is being used for a Zwift setup 🙂

It’s a great way to get some training miles in after work as I don’t really do road riding. Just need to see if the bluetooth on the laptop will pair with it.

Any setup tips worth noting? The Turbo I’ve got had a speed/cadence sensor to attach to the bike and isn’t part of the Turbo itself. When I set it up, it just advised to set resistance at 3.

jam-bo

Just need to see if the bluetooth on the laptop will pair with it.

it won’t, you’ll need to connect to bluetooth devices via the mobile link app.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ah right! I do have that app, but not used it yet.

Is that what I can see on Crosshair’s bike? Really loving it so far, still tweaking the bike for comfort though 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Yes Johnw1984 🙂 I actually normally use the iPhone for the app and the iPad for entertainment (music/vids) but I needed my phone to take the picture 😉

Kryton57

but probably won’t be long before someone’s doing it for Zwift.

A smart business move for TR would be to cut a license arrangement with Zwift and have TR make the plans available to them on a scalable basis, a condition of which would be to remove the import facility.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A smart business move for TR would be to cut a license arrangement with Zwift and have TR make the plans available to them on a scalable basis, a condition of which would be to remove the import facility.

It would be good for TR, but a daft move for Zwift. Zwift seem to get the community thing and leaving it open means that anyone can create plans and workouts, which can only be good for Zwift.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Thanks Crosshair!

That’s pretty much what I imagine my setup is going to look like tomorrow. I may have to nip out and get a handlebar mount for the phone though.

Going to look into all the different workout modes they’ve got on there too.

crosshair
    Free Member

I have the Tacx one that holds the iPad and cradles the iPhone 6 too.

Tacx Handlebar Mount for iPads and Tablets https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GO4WDZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_BLqEybCQTXRJN

Kryton57

MrBlobby I wasn’t suggesting they remove the ability to create workouts. I was suggesting you can’t import TR workouts, and if you want to use a TR workout you can – but you select it from within Zwift who have licensed it from TR.

That way, TR get supported financially rather than a a decline in revenues, Zwift gets a comprehensive level of training plans and have outsourced the resource to create & maintain them, and we all get the best of both worlds.

Good grief I should be in sales… 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

How do people import the TR ones? I didn’t think you could export the TR ones, though it’d be pretty trivial to recreate them with the same names.

crosshair
    Free Member

I don’t know….. but I got the impression they were being recreated and shared. One guy said it took him an hour to recreate his entire twelve week plan….
    Since TR specifically asked for people not to destroy their business (the gist of the post on FB), discussion has dried up a little…

doordonot
    Free Member

Tacx Blue Matic Smart

@johnw1984: does it auto-adjust the resistance on the turbo in response to whatever is happening on the zwift course? If not, then presumably it simply has a speed/cadence sensor that comes with the turbo but is in fact no different to an after-market s/c sensor such as Garmin or Wahoo?

RichPenny
    Free Member

I have the Tacx one that holds the iPad and cradles the iPhone 6 too.

These are £20 at halfords currently

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

For those looking to buy a tablet holder, why not just cut a small rectangle of wood/MDF and clamp it to your bike stand? It also saves having to remove your fancy holder from the bike every time you want to go for a real ride. I used the money I saved for Beer.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Because a bike stand costs more than a fancy tablet holder?
    Or because messing around cutting bits of MDF is roughly as enjoyable as scrubbing your eyeballs with a toothbrush?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Just cos most people have a bike stand fifeandy. FFS….. 🙄

johnw1984
    Free Member

@doordonot,

Yeah, it’s just Tacx Cadence/Speed sensor that’s bundled in the box (similar to any aftermarket one).

The actual turbo itself isn’t a smart one. It was £1 more for the sensor included over the model down (£99 from Halfords). If I stick with it for training during winter/after work, I might end up investing in a proper one 🙂

Started sorting the spare room out with my setup. Need to buy a fan though soon.

Cheap hobby this….

doordonot
    Free Member

Ok, great. Just saved me some beer money (until I *have* to upgrade to a proper one too).

johnw1984
    Free Member

Well, it was all looking so promising.

I cannot for the life of me get it all connecting together.

Win 10 Laptop (Zwift)
    iPhone 6 (Mobile Link)
    Tacx Speed/Cadence sensor

I’ve had it connected briefly for about 5 seconds and can’t seem to get Zwift on the laptop to recognise there’s a Bluetooth signal. Phone is connected to laptop via btooth.

Would it be far easier to just get an ANT+ USB stick for the Laptop? It’s on a range extender via Wifi if that has anything to do with it?

Phone and laptop on same wifi network. Zwift on iPhone dectects it right away, but the Tacx Utility app can’t find it?

caspian
    Free Member

Yes to ANT+ dongle and a 3mtr long USB cable, both on amazon, about £15 all in IIRC

crosshair
    Free Member

Just download the full app and run it on your phone? Apple TV or HDMI it to a spare tv?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ordered! That was really stressing me out 😆

Once it’s all set up, I want to try out some more of those training rides. Has anyone found it handy for increasing stamina on days out on a MTB?

Once summer rolls around, I’m going to be getting out in the evenings as there’s nowhere really to ride round here. Rivington is a 15-20 minute drive, so that’s handy.

@Crosshair, I could do that I suppose. Problem is, it eats my phone battery like nothing I’ve ever seen! I don’t have Apple TV or an HDMI lead to connect to phone either. The ANT dongle and cable was £15, so hopefully that’ll sort me out.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Think I’ve had problems when multiple apps are open. For example, if I’ve paired the trainer with the Tacx utility app on the iPad, it won’t pair with the cycling app or with Zwift until I’ve closed the utility.

mrblobby
    Free Member

RichPenny, over Bluetooth you can only pair with on device, and one app on that device.

Problem is, it eats my phone battery like nothing I’ve ever seen!

Could fry and egg on my laptop when it’s running Zwift!

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’m so close to getting it all working!

Got home from work with my newly acquired ANT+ dongle. Fired up the laptop, plugged it in, started the mobile link app, started Zwift.

Top left corner, both Bluetooth and ANT+ pinging away. Mobile Link connected straight away (then connected the trainer via Bluetooth). Had a little test and all seemed well.

Just tried it again, back to not recognising Bluetooth, but all devices connect via ANT+ (including a Garmin HR). Mobile Link not connecting again.

I don’t understand why the Mobile Link is being so intermittent. When it’s connected, it seems like it uses my mobile’s Bluetooth to connect the devices. I’m using a Wifi range extender upstairs where the setup is, could this be causing issues?

Been installed for a while and seemed to be running fine with everything else. Anyone else had similar issues with the Mobile Link app? Think this may be an Apple/Microsoft thing, or not?

jam-bo

You don’t need to use the mobile link app if you’ve got ant+

johnw1984
    Free Member

I know, but it’s nice to have the HUD on my bike 🙁

I can ring a bell and everything when it works!

jam-bo

Yeah, I use it for turns & power ups etc as it’s easier to reach. Maybe if you’ve paired sensors it’s getting confused? Unpair the trainer and turn off the BLE part of mobile link?

scaredypants

Sure I read somewhere that some trainers shut down their bluetooth if ANT+ connects – try pairing the BT first, then plug in the ANT lead to your PC ??

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ll try those, cheers for the suggestions. From what I read, Mobile Link is supposed to connect to the Zwift computer over the WiFi, but it’s not even doing that.

I’ll give the suggestions a go though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Zwift already provides a pretty big catalogue of workouts too. And the file format they use is fairly open so it won’t be long before plans are being published all over the place with downloadable workouts.

Noticed this the other day…

http://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/

tcomc1000
    Free Member

Does anyone know how to input the zwift ftp 12 week plan into a diary/calendar without manually entering every stage?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Going back to the OP, and comparing Zwift to TR. Did some intervals on Zwift last night (just doing the intervals on the Garmin rather than a pre programmed workout.) Selected a flat loop. Having a loop to ride with other riders to catch and corners and features that I can tick off and a point on the course to reach definitely helps with motivation to put the effort in. Much more so than a number and a wiggly line on TR. I like it.

Kryton57

Im in slight agreement. Doing a couple if the rides where you get familiar with the sprint, climbs, kom’s etc allows you to “set” yourself at the foot of a climb and treat it like an interval, likewise hanging on to someone else etc.

Yesterday and currently for me is MTB race Sims eg Richardson which are 15 on 15 off and in think the TR format works better for me in that regard. Saturday is 3 x 20 mins and it looks to be icy outside negating outdoor miles so i may do that on Zwift.

phil56

I had my first Zwift session yesterday – quite enjoyed it, but a couple of questions if anyone can help.

I’m getting quite a bit of lag when I slow down or speed up – is that normal or is my PC being too slow?

How do I go back into it today and see any stats from yesterdays ride?

I got several messages yesterday saying I’d ‘unlocked’ things, one referred to kit – what’s that all about?

Thanks for the help,
    Phil

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Zwift – state of the nation.’ is closed to new replies.