Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Zwift Newbie Question
  • pandhandj
    Free Member

Morning All,

looking for a pointer or two on a wee Zwift problem I have –

I seem to be able to spin out in my biggest gear (50×12). I do not for one second imagine that i am fast/fit enough to do this in the real world, but on the odd occasion when i can muster the energy to sprint for the line or try to keep up with some of the Otagenarians on Zwift, I can only get the bike going so fast. It feels like there isnt enogh resistance in my set up – entry level road bike on a Tacx Flow 2240.

Some google-fu has pointed out a resistance setting that makes it harder to pedal, but the consensus seemed to be to leave it where it is, as making it harder to pedal on the flat would reduce the resistance on the downhills.

What do you guys do to increase the resistance on the flat and uphill on Zwift?

cheers,

paul

crosshair
    Free Member

Just have a play with the slider- that’s basically what it’s there for to gear up or down your rig relative to your gearing.
    I think the name ‘reality slider’ and ‘difficulty setting’ gave people the wrong impression early on.

jam-bo

how many watts does zwift say that is? t2240 limit is 800W.

pandhandj
    Free Member

thanks Guys,

I’ll have a look at this slider thingy.

I think it only about 280 – 300w. Which is why i thouhgt my set up may need a bit of tuning.

I will have a wee play tonight.

cheers

jam-bo

have you got the roller tight enough.

stumpy01

Are you sure that Zwift is changing the resistance of the unit?
    Can you definitely feeling the resistance change? Do one of the mountain/hilly courses to make sure – it should be obvious.

I have had the occasional situation where for whatever reason the trainer didn’t connect correctly with my laptop, so it was giving a power read back, but the laptop could not change resistance on the trainer (same trainer as yours).
    Unplugging the trainer & plugging it back in has always solved it.

What other bits of kit are you using? Laptop? Ant+ dongle…?

pandhandj
    Free Member

the roller is pressed againast the wheel reasonably tightly – is there any way to jusdge how tight it should be?

Can definatley feel the resistance change on the uphill sections.

mahowlett
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to get the Tacx utility app which is the only way I know of to determine how tight the roller should be, and it’s much tighter than you think in my experience, almost to the point of ‘I’m gonna break the lever’ tight…

stumpy01

pandhandj – Member

the roller is pressed againast the wheel reasonably tightly – is there any way to jusdge how tight it should be?

There’s a Tacx ‘utility’ app that lets you check the calibration of the roller – i.e, how tight the tyre is wound on. I’ve got it on my phone & run it probably less frequently than I should.

To be honest, unless you’ve got it massively wrong, it should be ‘in the ball park’….

There was someone the other week on here saying that the 2240 can only manage 400W. When questioned on this, I think he contacted Tacx and they asked him to update his firmware which sorted it out for him. Perhaps this is a similar issue?

Did you find the ‘realism’ slider in the settings? I have never moved mine from the mid-point.

pandhandj
    Free Member

again, thanks guys, much appreciated.

i cant cechk anything at the mo, as at work but i will have a butchers tonight and get the utility app for my phone and crank on the tyre.

the tacx is only about 6 weeks old but i guess it could have been in a stock room for ages, so i will look at updating the firmware too.

thanks again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Zwift Newbie Question’ is closed to new replies.