Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Zwift – new training side
  • Slacks
    Free Member

Has anyone had a good look at the training side of Zwift. I’ve used sufferfest over the last two years but become a bit tired of the same videos. Zwift seems quite engaging by comparison. Barely noticed an hour go by. I did my ftp test (that hurt). Just about to work out which training sessions to try. Wondered if anyone had a play yet? Lots of people seed to be using it at the same time as trainer road.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Done the SST short twice now as an intro to other stuff, but things are a bit hectic at the moment and haven’t been able to be regular at it.

In the second my cadence was lower (one fan was misplaced and so I was hotter – seemed to affect the amount of effort I put in) and my speed was slower, but it still managed to make a loop of it on the gpx it seems!

Slacks
    Free Member

I’ll have a good look tonight. They have a winter training programme might start by having a look at that. As far as I can tell you can only see the different training sessions by starting the program and looking at each one from within the application. Be nice if the website gave you a break down of the programs so you could plan your training.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IvanDobski
    Free Member

Be nice if the website gave you a break down of the programs so you could plan your training.

Somebody has done the donkey work already – list of all current Zwift workouts. He’s set his FTP at 100 so you can see it as a percentage of effort.

I’ve done the FTP test, 30min SST which was pretty tough, The Gorby which was good, the TT first 5 mins workout which was ok but I didn’t really get the training philosophy of it and the first workout in the 12 week plan which seems to start at a really low effort level so maybe skip a few weeks.

The workout mode itself is good, easily better than Trainerroad, the amount of workouts is increasing and a custom builder is on the way, The only area I’d say it’s lacking in comparison to Trainnerroad is in not being able to compare past workouts to see improvements but I assume they’ll get that at some point.

If you fancy a less formal beasting get involved in the faster group rides or try the races – I did the ZTR race the other night and was a mess when I finally got finished. Last. By quite some way. Still, I’m sure tonight’s race will be easier!

Zwift group ride/race calender with all times auto adjusted to your time zone – which is like magic quite frankly.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You can link your rides to Strava premium which I assume will show you your improvements

Slacks
    Free Member

Tempted to try the races just to see how long I can stay with the group. Cheers for the link.

It’s obviously early days but seems to have great potential for making the turbo not just acceptable but actually enjoyable. Might mean I can sit in with the local group with out turning myself inside out.

I’d like a Mario kart version for Christmas.

djflexure

Enjoyed it so far – agree that the 12 week plan starts off very easy. Have been properly tired after a couple of sessions that I add libbed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d like a Mario kart version for Christmas.

This +1

*reaches into pocket for a banana skin*

stevious

Had a quick go on the FTP test and it looks like it’ll be a great way to train.

I think trainerroad + a video suits me a bit better but will definitely keep it in mind for the future. Really interested to see how the workout library expands.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was wondering how the chatter works on Zwift – seems you use the mobile app and then use the voice recognition so you don’t have to type.

Might give it a try – should be able to hurl insults at the guys that buzz you closely on the overtakes…

IvanDobski
    Free Member

You either type messages on the keyboard/mobile app or use Teamspeak – at the minute there’s no in built voice chat.

bothybiker
    Free Member

Perhaps this will sound like a silly question, but having not used a turbo before I don’t know how loud they are? I saw zwift on the cycleshow and like the look of it, but could I use it in my living room with the gf around? Also live in a flat so worried about vibrations disturbing downstairs. Cheers

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There a Muin one that’s pretty quite, or the Neo.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anything ‘fluid’ makes little more than a humming noise, magnetic ones more of a whirr. You couldn’t use them in the same room as someone trying to watch TV unless they’re stone deaf.

infidel
    Free Member

I’ve been playing around with Zwift for a while now. I like the ability to just jump on and ride while you can distract yourself with a VR world. Its also great to compete against myself and others with laps and the sprints/KOMs.

I’ve done a few of the training sessions too; they seem well structured in themselves and I like the way you can direct your training however the issue I now have is that, unlike TrainerRoad, there are no ‘time crunched’ type training plans. Sadly I can’t spend an hour plus per night every night on the turbo or Mrs Infidel will jihad my essentials with something either a)sharp or b)blunt and heavy. This is the reason I think I’m going to commit to TrainerRoad rather than Zwift. Which is a bit sad as I really like what the Zwift guys have done.

If anyone knows how to run TrainerRoad plans within Zwift…..

IvanDobski
    Free Member

It’s easy – run trainerroad at the bottom of the screen then run zwift at the same time in freeride mode, you just need 2 ant+ adapters.

infidel
    Free Member

OK. Thanks!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just done the gorby – unfortunately these 2Xu cycle shorts seemed to cause my backside to go numb so I will keep to my cheaper gore ones.

prawny

It’s really bloody good. I was going to pay for trainer road this winter but Zwift is so much fun I actually look forward to turbo sessions. I’ve done a couple of the workouts and they’re really good, maybe a bit long for me with the time I have to follow one of the plans but I think after Christmas I’ll just get up earlier to fit the required sessions in.

markgraylish
    Free Member

In a similar vein, does anyone know of a resource for adding pre-configured workouts to my Garmin 520??
    I know they can be manually created using Connect but its a very dull process to punch in every step individually.
    I want to have the 520 control resistance whilst I concentrate on doing intervals whilst some mindless fluff is distracting me on TV

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Tonights race went marginally better than Tuesdays but I won’t be troubling Froomey any time soon. Tomorrows is a fox and hound thing with the faster riders chasing down the slower riders over 4 laps after giving away a laps headstart.

It’s interesting to see how people are adapting the open world nature of Zwift and creating various different events.

rocco

I want to use Zwift, after trying at their laws, but my laptop doesn’t have a fast enough GPU. Looks like I need to look into upgrading PC to run it

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

They should develop that island in the Soloman Islands and start offering package holidays to all the Zwifters…

Slacks
    Free Member

IvanDobski how easy was it to join in with race. I presume there is just a big group sat at the start and its a neutral spin to an off?

Was it easy to work out where you were in the groups? Is see they have a sort of cat a/b and c/d.

FuzzyWuzzy

Any idea why on the Zwift set-up (step 3) on the web-site it says you need a USB extension cable as well as a ANT+ wireless dongle? Is the cable just needed if you have a ‘smart’ trainer with a USB connection on it?

richP

pretty sure the usb extension cable is to allow you to locate the ANT+ wireless dongle closer to the trainer in case of signal issues.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I reckon that is it – my power seemed to be fluctuating a lot more than I thought it should last night at some points so I am going to try an extension cable.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Yep, get the ant+ extension as close to your sensors as possible. There’s little to no power averageing so any slight dropout in signal seems to be highlighted apparently.

Slacks – joining the race is easy, the link above has the start time, jersey and cats so beforehand just rename yourself to match the race ie, Slacks ZTR-Cat C and make sure you’re dressed appropriately.

Then log in to the ride where there’ll be leads of riders waiting and at the start time the ride leader will set off the warm up then let everyone know where the actual race starts. Then it’s race on!

Slacks
    Free Member

I tried day 1 of the ftp builder last night. Wasn’t exactly taxing but I guess it shouldn’t be for day 1. Problem is that it seems to require that you ride on it most days. As I plan to continue to ride in the real world as well. This will just be a supplement to get me some xc fitness. I’ll have to pick and choose the sessions I do.

Might try the 6:30 world’s race tonight. I’ll start at the lowest cat I think.

thv3
    Free Member

I tried day 1 of the ftp builder last night. Wasn’t exactly taxing but I guess it shouldn’t be for day 1.

+1

Thinking I’ll try the 2nd workout tonight or tomorrow and maybe supplement it with another such as one of the sweet spot sessions if required.

Happy to do aerobic sessions, but my HR averaged 122 for last nights session which seems too low?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m sticking with Trainerroad for structured workouts. Once ive finished my current trainierroad plan i’ll have some fun on Zwift with their races and what not.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Slacks – Cat D is the lowest but there’s never anyone in it ime so I go for Cat C and get a pasting from actual Cat C riders and Cat Bs who fancy a slightly easier race so drop down a Cat.

It’s tough at the top but even tougher at the bottom!

Slacks
    Free Member

Running late. Doing my impression of trains, planes and brompton to make the start line. Cheers for tip will try to get on with the cat c’s

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Well that went better than it has previously, just made the start for the roll out and ended up in the front Cat C group when it split up on the roll out but just before the race actually started – so far so good…

However people caught behind the split called for the front group to sit up and regroup for the actual race start so I (and a few others) did – very sporting until that was the exact minute the flag dropped and I was stuck off the back and in the 2nd group.

From then on it was steady away just trying to gain places whilst not getting caught by anyone else and I def made up more places than I lost so I’ll call that a moral victory if not an actual victory.

A nice feature was that at the end of the race I got told my FTP had automatically updated itself based on the ride. Seems a good way of monitoring progress even without doing actual workouts.

Anybody else race tonight?

mashiehood
    Free Member

i didnt race but i do like ZWIFT, makes me ride harder and i really enjoy it.

DT78
    Free Member

Wasn’t racing but was riding round Richmond when I think ztr were on. I tried to ride with a group after, vision, I think, but found it quite tough, either I was at the front and pulling away or being dropped, didn’t seem to be abled to match the pace. Not sure if that is the kickr/zwift responding slowly?

I use an extension as I found I had issues with signal dropping on TR.

Dumb question, how do you pick tracks? I found Richmond pretty dull compared to the other track.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

You can’t at the minute, it’s on a schedule. I think Sun – Tue is Richmond and Wed – Sat is Watopia but could be wrong.

Working as a group gets easier with practice I’ve found.

Slacks
    Free Member

Well that went well.

Made the start after a frantic brompton across town to get home. So that was warm up taken care of. Sat in the group on the roll out behind the C group leader all the way to the start at the end of the sprint. Pace went up until we hit the climbs. I found myself off the front in a group of two then three for lap 2. Could see from the messages a chasing group was being encouraged so we took turns on the front until mid way through lap 3. At which point the pace dropped a little as I think people were trying to stay off the front. It became a group of 4 or 5. Went as hard as I could on the last climb after catching some guy who was off the front. Then won a sprint with another rider from the group on the line.

Vaguely aware I had pipped the members of my group I wasnt totally convinced there might not have been another group up the road. Searched around to find the results and I won cat c!

I awarded myself a yellow jumper stood on the sofa and sprayed Beck’s all over the girlfriend.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Happy to do aerobic sessions, but my HR averaged 122 for last nights session which seems too low?

Depends what you’re comparing it to, FTP on a trainer is often slightly higher and HR slightly lower because only your legs are working. In the real world your arms/legs/back/core/brain are sharing the work so your heart has to work harder.

Or you might just be ill/tired.

mattjg
    Free Member

My Zwift killer feature would be a ghost rider of my own best lap to chase, like Wipeout and car racing sims do.

They also need to flag the sprint and climb starts better, there’s a little flicky white line on the road but it’s easy to miss.

Are they running just a single world instance? It feels like it. In which case they need to grow fast I’d think.

Presumably comparison against other riders with different setups should be taken with a pinch of salt? There must be reasonable error margins between them. (Let’s put that another way … I’m on an Elite Crono Fluid and everyone is faster than me 😳 )

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Zwift – new training side’ is closed to new replies.