• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • weeksy

You ride pretty much everyday, I think you’ll be surprised that taking a week off might actually do you good (physically that is, mentally maybe not)

Of that there’s probably very little doubt. I think i’ve ridden too much, along with Zwift reporting wrongly so my intensity when taking it easy was probably too high, i’ve been riding my recovery rides at 180w, which could now look like it was 230-240w… LOL… Which is why i was finding the recovery rides harder than i should have been.
    Along with that, i kind of screwed myself by having my seat position incorrect, which exasperated the issue/problem, meaning i’m now a sodding lemon.
    Worst part is, i’ve got the Kickr Snap arriving on Friday and really i shouldn’t be even unboxing it until sometime next week ! Using the power of the internet, calf strain level 2… 2-3 weeks with no exercise ! Reading the symptoms i think it’s a Level 2, not a level 1…. Certainly not a level 3…. But 2 weeks… DAMN… i’m not sure i can manage that hahahaha.
    But, if i want to recover, i need to.

crosshair
    Free Member

If you ignore recovery, your body finds a way to get some 😉

weeksy

crosshair – Member

If you ignore recovery, your body finds a way to get some

I wasn’t ignoring it as such… i was doing easy days… just not as easy as they should have been 🙂

jam-bo

http://www.wattwhisperer.com/thecoachingedge/ftpisnotfunctional

Interesting article about FTP training.

nathb
    Free Member

That’s interesting @jam bo.

The initial reasons behind me doing an FTP test was for figuring out what race category I should enter on Zwift.

However I’ve also found it extremely useful for real world racing. On attacks I’ve been monitoring the power, knowing what I can maintain for 5/10/20 mins. This has been useful to monitor how much I’m pulling away from the bunch and at what cost. I.e. Knowing when to give up pushing in order to have a decent chance in the final moments. So yeah, I find FTP testing very useful.

jam-bo

i don’t think its saying its not useful. it’s just not everything.

mrblobby
    Free Member

knowing what I can maintain for 5/10/20 mins

That’s your power profile, not your FTP.

I’d say the article is more a warning about both blindly following a generic plan with interval targets based on percentages of FTP, and also about falling into the typical Jan/Feb turbo trap.

I think Zwift presents a good solution to the turbo trap, especially with a smart turbo, getting you riding far more dynamically (and more representative of outdoor riding) than you would usually do during typical turbo sessions. Just need to keep an eye on position to ensure specificity.

Edit… also…

and at what cost

This is a really important one that isn’t measured much. Riding fast outdoors usually involves repeated hard efforts while riding at or near your limits. Understanding how hard you can go for short durations and how quickly you can recover and do it again is really useful.

richP

Not sure what your video is showing Nath but I would probably try and log the data to get a better comparison.

Also I’d run up above 200w as any difference in readings may be different at different power levels.

When I was testing my Elite trainer I saw (once the fluid had warmed up) a pretty good match at 200w but it was 40-50w optimistic at 300w…!

Hopefully the image below shows up.

zilog6128

I think Zwift presents a good solution to the turbo trap, especially with a smart turbo, getting you riding far more dynamically (and more representative of outdoor riding) than you would usually do during typical turbo sessions.

Yep, that makes sense to me! It also fits in with the way I want to “train” so happy to go along with it!

weeksy

It’s the one (well, IMO the one) major weakness i have as a rider, i really need to work/train on the hard intensity and recovery as quickly as possible.
    Having been using the dumb turbo lately that’s probably not helped me even more so… So once the Snap arrives (and the leg recovers) it’s something i really hope to focus on.

nathb
    Free Member

@mrblobby – ah but my first FTP wasn’t smooth (started at 700w lol) I was properly going for it. So I did get decent 5/10/20 min data from it. A better planned out FTP wouldn’t have granted.

@richp – Ah what software is that again? I was just following weeksy’s video for his comparison.

zilog6128

i really need to work/train on the hard intensity and recovery as quickly as possible.

This seems to be how virtually all races go for me anyway! Smash it to get to a good group, recover for a bit then smash it again to avoid being dropped or get ahead to the next group (or to attach yourself to a faster group that comes past)

richP

i just used an app called ipwatts on my phone to log the ant+ data streams (provided your phone has ant+) and then plotted the above in excel

epicsteve
    Free Member

Bah, logged in to go exploring the volcano and ended up in Richmond

Same here – was quite looking forward to the Volcano too!

nathb
    Free Member

Ah not available for ios @richp 🙁

Cheers though!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Using the power of the internet, calf strain level 2… 2-3 weeks with no exercise ! Reading the symptoms i think it’s a Level 2, not a level 1…. Certainly not a level 3…. But 2 weeks… DAMN… i’m not sure i can manage that hahahaha.

I had a couple of calf strains from running that took ages to recover well enough to run, however for me I found I could recover to the point where I could cycle without problems much quicker – in fact that’s what got me back on the road bike last summer, as I could ride the bike without any issue but running was still a problem.

jim25

Any thoughts on A cycleops fluid pro 2 trainer.
    I’m going to cancel my order for a neo as we have found nd out we are moving in 4 weeks time! And need to save some cash.
    Is anyone here using one of these? I know there not controlled by zwift, but by the look of it they are a lot quieter than others??

mrblobby
    Free Member

If I was going fluid non-controlled, I’d go Kurt Kinetic with InRide. Really well designed unit and apparently very consistent for a fluid. The InRide system is meant to give very consistent power readings too.

jam-bo

^^^^

I’ve got one of those to sell if anyone is interested?

scaredypants

I think the Kurt Kinetic resistance profile is quite well-defined and documented so supposedly zwift et al could easily infer power just from wheel speed – I have a really old roadmacihne and it came with a power meter that was just a wheel speed sensor and a head unit

fifeandy
    Free Member

Any thoughts on A cycleops fluid pro 2 trainer.
    I’m going to cancel my order for a neo as we have found nd out we are moving in 4 weeks time! And need to save some cash.
    Is anyone here using one of these? I know there not controlled by zwift, but by the look of it they are a lot quieter than others??

I have a fluid 2 (have had 3 technically counting two uses of the lifetime warranty over 6 years), and they are solid, have a nice realistic feel to them, and are fairly quiet.
    However i don’t rate them at all for v-power type usage – you need a well tuned sense of RPE. Of the 3 units, they have all had different resistance curves, and all had different warm-up behaviours.
    Now this sort of stuff is common to all fluid type trainers, but as mrblobby says, the Kurt Kinetic has a reputation for being the least effected by temperature.

nathb
    Free Member
    mrblobby
    Free Member

think the Kurt Kinetic resistance profile is quite well-defined and documented so supposedly zwift et al could easily infer power just from wheel speed –

The InRide bit allows you to do a calibration based on rolldown (it’s basically working out how much resistance is in the fluid at operating temp) which eliminates some of the variances in wheel speed only calculations.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Creg

Had my zwift setup running for just over a week and today I did my first workout session, day 1 of the 12 week FTP builder program.

I’ve spent the first few days just riding around on the courses and getting used to being on the bike after quite a long absence. I’ve only managed a handful of rides this year due to work and health issues.

Surprised just how quickly the first session went on the program, 50 minutes seemed to fly by. Tomorrow looks to be a little more challenging with some higher FTP bursts thrown in it would seem. I’ve never done anything like this before so I’m probably making a lot of beginner mistakes (just as long as I don’t end up attempting The Pretzel again, not a great way to start my second day on Zwift 😳 ).

My Tacx turbo has developed the grinding at low RPM issue but I’m holding on to it for the time being and will see how bad it gets.

allan23
    Free Member

think Zwift presents a good solution to the turbo trap, especially with a smart turbo, getting you riding far more dynamically (and more representative of outdoor riding) than you would usually do during typical turbo sessions.

Only started last weekend and I’m hooked for that very reason.

Did the 18 mile figure of 8 last night and thought I was about to die, resistance on the Kickr Snap really worked, the short 10% incline felt a lot harder than the 6 or 7% elsewhere.

I could have just set the resistance on the old trainer but it’s dull, at least with Zwift the course feels more natural and there’s that thing of being able to see the top of the hill and just keeping pedalling.

I suppose I’ll have a go at the workouts and racing eventually but for now I’ll just enjoy the ride.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

The racing is ADDICTIVE – even at c/d cat levels. Ive never raced bikes in real life and probably never will (time/ability/other sports preferred)

My brothers joined Zwift and we did our first race together. Climbing up the volcano on the limit, attacking each other. I pushed too hard just before the mast and then he did me – hard to recover on the 13% bit. Only difference from real life was I couldn’t squirt water at him. Same result as in real life as well 🙁

Just because your not a roadie racer don’t dismiss the racing.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Anyone on EVR Europe tonight?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cutting it a bit fine if they are! Had thought about the kiss iTT but only just got the kids to bed 🙁

mashiehood
    Free Member

It’s being streamed live on YouTube! Allegedly

crosshair
    Free Member

Loads of races are streamed Mashiehood. Probably 15-20 per week on Beam, Twitch, FB live and Youtube.

crosshair
    Free Member

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Well the SZR race earlier was awesome. 348 entrants and Zwift was glitch free for a change. I dug deep and managed to finish 13th in cat A. I’m chuffed with that as I managed to out sprint 10 or so people in the last 500 meters.

jim25

Well done Jimbob! thats a great fnish!

weeksy

13th in A! Awesome.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Well done Jim
    My race – terrible nothing in legs this eve it’s been a long day
    Time for a rest

crosshair
    Free Member

Well done Jimbob! Nath has competition 🙂

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Cheers fellas. Definitely felt like my strongest performance to date. Happy to be in this shape in January. Still have a couple of months until the real race season starts. Whooop

jim25

I have a fluid 2 (have had 3 technically counting two uses of the lifetime warranty over 6 years), and they are solid, have a nice realistic feel to them, and are fairly quiet.
    However i don’t rate them at all for v-power type usage – you need a well tuned sense of RPE. Of the 3 units, they have all had different resistance curves, and all had different warm-up behaviours.
    Now this sort of stuff is common to all fluid type trainers, but as mrblobby says, the Kurt Kinetic has a reputation for being the least effected by temperature.

Ok, so if a fluid trainer isn’t the best option due to inaccuracies. How does the Tacx Vortex compare noise wise to a fluid trainer?

Anyone here using a vortex, do they read fairly accurate?

Jason
    Free Member

Anyone on EVR Europe tonight?

I was there, but I was just taking it easy as my legs still felt a bit tired after a race on the Mountain 8 course yesterday. I would have done a group ride, but none at a suitable time, and I always find Richmond a bit boring to ride around without a target. Cruised around for most of the race, and went flat out on the last bit.

Just to agree with the comments above about fluid trainers. I used to use a Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer, and compared to the powertap rear hub I was using on it the resistance varied as the fluid warmed up. It was very noticeable after a hard interval. I don’t think they will ever be consistently accurate on zpower.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.