• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,721 through 4,760 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • eemy
    Free Member

Throughout all of this, the main goal apart from fitness is pleasure. I enjoy Zwift racing

[quote]I get the impression Weeksy that you could get more training from the races[/quote] I’m kind of with Weeksy on this. I’m on the wrong side of 90kg and for me to improve w/kg I would say it is more about getting the weight down through enjoyable exercise than from beasting myself doing structured training sessions. If I was under 75kg though then that may be different mind you.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m not suggesting structured training. I’m saying that going into a race, getting into a bunch and then saying “this is too hard, I’m slowing down” isn’t really conducive to getting the most from the session. Maybe in the real world that makes sense, but if you blow up and die a horrible death you’ve lost nothing.

weeksy

Maybe in the real world that makes sense, but if you blow up and die a horrible death you’ve lost nothing.

Ranking points !

blader1611
    Free Member

So much for a spin down race, i ended up 6th in the race and i didnt even bother sprinting at the start. I did a fast cruise from the start and could have caught the lead group but decided to chill so went with the next group. I then decided half way through the race that rather than wait for a sprint i would go at quite a fast pace to see if i could drop them all. So with about 15km to go i upped the pace with an aerp PU and dropped them by over a minute in the end. I think i preferred that to a gut busting sprint.

blader1611
    Free Member

My box hill ride doesnt seem to have migrated to strava, is there anyway to get this back? I did it via ipad so cant get to any logs. I also took a picture showing the result but where would i find this?

EDIT: its ok i have found it now, i forgot i had to change the date on the ipad in order to get the london route so strava has it on the changed date and not today.

scaredypants

Just had a parting shot at the “blader box hill challenge” before my subscription ends
    Cheated and used a feather (though no drafts at all since I was there on a watopia day) and still only 7.31 (2 sec better than existing best)

7.00 – no chance for me anytime soon

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe in the real world that makes sense, but if you blow up and die a horrible death you’ve lost nothing.

Ranking points ![/quote]

Reaalllllllllllly?! 😉

blader1611
    Free Member

Scaredypants – i got no drafting either coz i was the only person in London this morning as i changed the date. I had the complete route to myself,it felt very weird. I reckon with a few weeks of hill training you could beat your time but it might be interesting to see how fast you can do it if you catch a few drafts.
    I can safely say i wont be getting anywhere near my time again as it was just too brutal. To think that nathb can do it in 6 mins is pretty amazing.

scaredypants

i was the only person in London this morning

yeh, very odd isn’t it ?

There were 2 others out there when I was riding, somewhere about the place

Are the pedestrians new ? Only noticed them today for the 1st time

blader1611
    Free Member

There was an update last week that added the crowd, they also break out the umbrellas when it starts raining.

blader1611
    Free Member

Managed a Cat B win this morning in the WBR race, finished 5th overall and only a minute behind the winner. It was a 25.8 mile race and best stats so far, 3.72w/kg and avg 309w. I managed to get on this race with only 12 seconds to spare so no warm up or stretch at all, might adopt that policy again as i seem to go faster with less preparation.

weeksy

Nice… That’s impressive ! I find the same on warm-up too i think, it gives me the first few mins at a lower HR to get into the insanity easier.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

Was that the 6am start? I finished 6th if it was

blader1611
    Free Member

It was the 9:05 race, not a big field but not too small either. I think i am going to drop any form of warm up longer than a minute, i am not entirely sure it is beneficial plus nothing prepares you for sprinting out of the gate like a madman at the start.

crosshair
    Free Member

Nice race! Well done.
    I agree on the warmup. I sometimes do up to an hour beforehand but rarely go above Z2. I don’t find a lot of difference if it’s only 5minutes though.

blader1611
    Free Member

Many moons ago i read an article in the British Medical Journal that stated stretching before exercise would only prevent one injury every 23 years. I wish i had read more to see if it had any benefits, i always assumed it lessened the stifness/tightness in muscles after exercising. Anyway it seems to not have any affect on my cycling so warm ups now kept to a minimum.

nathb
    Free Member

Divided on this..

I’ve had some good races on 30 seconds of warmup, but the first 5-10 mins have always been a shock to the legs to points were I could have quite easily given up. If I push past this though they free up.

Were as I know I can perform well with a good 15 min warm up.

So given the choice I’d take a warm up over no warm up, but time keeping is not really my thing 😆

scaredypants

stretching before exercise would only prevent one injury every 23 years

stretching without warming up first probably causes injury, I’d imagine

blader1611
    Free Member

Did the EVR race this morning which was a 2 lap greater london 8 so box hill twice. Had a fellow stw resident in the race as well so we were in the lead group till box hill. There is definately a huge gulf in class between a cat b like me and the cat a riders, they went up box hill in just over 6 min whereas i tore my lungs outs and spat my guts out to get up in 7 mins dead. I coasted all the way down the hill on both laps as i was shot. Anyway i ended up 8th overall but got another cat B win which i think is the second in a week.
    I also decided i need a bigger fan and to put it in front of me rather than the side as my face doesnt get the cooling affect as much so gonna jig things around to see if it doable.

crosshair
    Free Member

That’s awesome, well done! Yeah, as a big guy, Zwift flatters me in the Flat races v A’s but they leave me for dead up every decent climb.
    As would you with a 7 min Box Hill 😆

blader1611
    Free Member

Crosshair i reckon its the same for me too, my zwift results look good but in the real world i am a pretty slow rider. I did a sportive last month and i had all manner of ages and sizes passing me i dont seem to have a terrain that i am good at.

crosshair
    Free Member

I think it’s the drag coefficient part of the formula. It assumes (I think) that you ride in a pretty darn good aero position- which I don’t!
    I’m 85kg but not really a cyclists build. My shoulders are huge. (Although to be fair, my Avatar looks like the Hulk compared to many 😉 )
    So generally I’m going a couple of mph slower for the same Watts outdoors even measured on the same PM.

Lots more drafting on Zwift too of course 😉

I think I’ve said it before but I find the drafting very realistic these days. Bunch speeds in real v Zwift races are similar now. It’s only the zero cadence in the corners they’re going to struggle to ever replicate I think.

blader1611
    Free Member

Yeah there is no way i am that aero as i am quite broad shouldered. I could do with weighing myself as i havent for 6 years and that was when i had just spent a year on crutches. I have guessed my weight on zwift but i reckon i could be closer to 85kg than 79kg. I reckon i could lose a few kg’s so gonna get my food intake cleaned up and see what difference that makes. My new target is to finish a race with an avg over 4 w/kg.

nathb
    Free Member

6 years?! Bloody hell.

I’m weighing myself every other day – particularly if I’m going out on long rides (help with fluids afterwards).

Also calorie counting so I don’t keep losing weight, trying to maintain 70kg but seem to be losing the battle a little bit..

eemy
    Free Member

Did the EVR race this morning which was a 2 lap greater london 8 so box hill twice. Had a fellow stw resident in the race as well so we were in the lead group till box hill.

That was me. Dropped as soon as box hill arrived though because……….

Zwift flatters me in the Flat races v A’s but they leave me for dead up every decent climb.

Flat races are fine and my Zwift ranking score definitely flatters because it is pretty much based on flat races. Hilly courses are a nightmare.

blader1611
    Free Member

Nathb – what can you possibly learn from weighing yourself everyday, surely you would only assume that fluctations in weight will be down to fluid and that could mask muscle wastage? Do certain shops still have weighing scale machines in them?
    6 years ago i was going in for the fourth and final op on my knee so was weighed in preparation and i was 92kgs! Not a great weight when you are only 5ft 9 but i had spent the previous 11 months unable to walk so no great surprise. I shall weigh myself and report back and update zwift accordingly.
    EEMY – good to ride with you, i think we were the only brits in that race. Not sure when we dropped you but i only lasted about a minute up box hill with that group.

weeksy

I’m actually looking forward to next week and to getting back into Zwifting. I have been off it for the best part of a month by the time i will get back… I may need a new profile though as my race performances will be well down and don’t want to lower my ranking 😉

blader1611
    Free Member

Gonna do the aussie crit race at 10am, this is the only race that i cant make the lead group. The guys in that go fast at the start and only settle down long after my legs are shot which is about midway through the second lap of 7.
    This time i am gonna concentrate on my power output and actually ignore the race completely.

blader1611
    Free Member

Weeksy that might be a shock to the system that first race back.

nathb
    Free Member

I’m not very good at drinking fluids after a long cycle, so by weighing myself after breakfast and then once back after lunch I can force myself to drink fluids to get me back up to weight.

E.g. I weighed 69.5kg before setting off and 67.5kg after lunch so I poured out 2l of water to drink over the next hour or so.

But also at, what I deem to be, a silly amount of training (15hrs/250-300miles per week) I’ve really got to be careful that I don’t lose.

blader1611
    Free Member

Nathb that makes sense, particularly given the mileage you are turning out. Do you ever stop eating though as after a fasted zwift session of only 25 miles i am ready to eat a small planet followed by a larger planet and an hour after that a planet made entirely of pudding.

blader1611
    Free Member

Crit race was incredibly fast, i was with the front group for less than 2 minutes! They flew out of the blocks and didnt slow down at all for the 2 minutes that i saw, it was 5 w/kg and above for the first long lap. It must have been a helluva finish as 21 riders finished within 4.5 seconds of each other. Cat B winner finished within 3.5 seconds of the winner which doesnt seem right. I was 8th in cat b after a bunch sprint which was good fun.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m not very good at drinking fluids after a long cycle, so by weighing myself after breakfast and then once back after lunch I can force myself to drink fluids to get me back up to weight.

E.g. I weighed 69.5kg before setting off and 67.5kg after lunch so I poured out 2l of water to drink over the next hour or so.

But also at, what I deem to be, a silly amount of training (15hrs/250-300miles per week) I’ve really got to be careful that I don’t lose.

From what you’ve posted, you’re also not very good at drinking ON the bike, not just after. Even a midget like me that doesn’t sweat unless weather cooking gets through 500ml/hr on the bike. On the hot TDF stage the other day they had someone on that was saying the riders would be drinking 1L/hr.

And yes, over around 10hrs a week eating starts to become like a second job, and only gets worse the more you do. You’re probably burning very close to 10,000kcal per week on the bike, which means you need to eat 11 days worth of food every 7 days.

blader1611
    Free Member

Do i need a hr monitor to do the ftp test on zwift? Still looking at buying a cheapo sunding bluetooth hr chest strap from fleabay but i just cant find out whether it will be picked up by zwift or whether they only work with certain apps.

mrblobby
    Free Member

From what you’ve posted, you’re also not very good at drinking ON the bike, not just after

I’m rubbish at remembering to drink outdoors on the bike. Have my Garmin set for 5 mile auto laps so goes off every 15 mins or so so just use it as a reminder to take a drink.

First proper Zwift session for a while today, a long block of high tempo. Had forgotten how unpleasant a soaked chamois is 😐

Edit… just seen a tweet from Cav saying he’s about to Zwift as part of his rehab. Anyone spotted him yet?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just seen Nath’s post on another thread. Anyone else having trouble with the turbo control cutting out when using Zwift? Looks like much the same thing happened to me and Nath, about halfway through a session the turbo control cuts out and just leaves it in some default setting and doesn’t come back. Not used Zwift for a while, been an update recently?

beej

There was an update when I started it today, PC version.

Cav had a go on it today. I hope he won the sprints.

fifeandy
    Free Member

A slight off topic, but seems an appropriate place to ask it.

My Dad is interested in getting a new trainer (smart/direct drive/electro brake). I’m pretty clear on how that interacts with various apps etc to control the resistance, but what if you want to control resistance manually?

For example if you want to simulate a 8% slope on an old ‘dumb’ training video?

weeksy

Change into a harder gear.

fifeandy
    Free Member

That’s no different to a fluid trainer though and doesn’t make use of the electro brake.
    One of his reasons for changing is he’s not getting enough resistance for 60rpm intervals in 50/11, so being able to simulate a gradient would be a massive improvement for this type of interval.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,721 through 4,760 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.