Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Zwift – cheapest options?
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

As I have just been banned from riding a bike for the time being (outside where there may be a risk of falling off it) I think I’m OK to continue on a turbo. To make it more fun and sociable I am looking into Zwift.

What is the cheapest option?

wilburt
    Free Member

Turbo- beg borrow or steal one or as a last resort £50 from Halfords.
    Computer- faster the better but just about anything* will work on low settings.(reasonably modern)
    Ant usb and wire. £20 from memory
    Garmin cadence and speed sensor £45?
    Bike – you have one?
    Good wifi or better still hard wired web connection.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

What do you mean by ‘it will work on low settings’

I guess that won’t show power though – or does it work it out with the cadence sensor?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Btw I have a turbo elite volare mag (I think), I have several bikes but it would be my cx bike on the trainer. I don’t think I have a computer (well a cat eye strada – but that can’t connect to anything!)

I guess you mean zwift on low settings will work on any computer. We have a few computers here so I’m sure one of them will cope with it.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Ideally you want a ‘smart’ turbo so Zwift can control the resistance but I think a non smart turbo can be used if they have it in their supported devices. You need the speed and cadence sensors talking to your computer via the ant+ and the software can estimate your power from that

wilburt
    Free Member

volare mag is fine, its on the list of known turbos, meaning the resistance curve is known by zwift so from its speed(hence the sensor) will work out your power. I actually prefer non resisrance turbos as you keep a decent cadence regardless of terrain and yes by low settings I mean low resolution on the screen and low frames per second.

Anyway theres more youtube videos on all this than there is russion driving fails so crack on!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having had a read
    https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/205625165-A-beginner-s-guide-to-Zwift-equipment?section=201145285
    http://zwift.com/what-is-it/supported-trainers/
    Did the virtual power thing on trainer road etc. Works well as a measuring stick – just ignore the numbers and crack on.
    If you want some variety sufferfest were doing a free trial

Rubber_Buccaneer

Bkool is also an alternative. Similar idea but different 🙂

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I don’t think I know anyone who uses that – and I’m keen to use zwift to give me the feeling I’m having the social aspect of my riding – if that makes sense.

jimdubleyou

If you pay for premium Strava, you get two months free Zwift (at least you did last year).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Zwift – cheapest options?’ is closed to new replies.