Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • ZTR or AM Classic Hubs?
  • sam_underhill

£140 difference in a wheelset on JRA. Yhey look fairly similar in design.

AM Classics are slightly lighter. But I think have bigger even flanges, so more likely to be a stronger wheel.

Any other differences? AM Classics seem to be often recommended, not heard much about the ZTR ones.

sam_underhill

anyone?

crogthomas
    Free Member

ZTR, America classic, WTB and A2Z hubs are all apparently made in the same factory (Chin Haur, or something) and are all very similar in design.
    I have some WTB ones. Lightweight but the seals aren’t brilliant and the bearings are a little difficult to get hold of (Ison distribution are currently out of stock, but simplybearings have them at three times the price).

My helpful hint for the day is that the A2Z ones are even cheaper….

BigAirNig
    Free Member

Loving my American Classic MTB26 wheelset ….. not that it directly answers your question – sorry !!

u02sgb
    Free Member

Hmmm, for something I read yesterday I think the Alloy freehub body on the American Classic has steel inserts to stop the cassette chewing it up.

Stu.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

ZTR the AM Classics freehubs are crap.

thepurist

My AC freehub's been fine for 2 years and counting… why are they crap MBK?

njee20
    Free Member

AM Classics have small bearings, and the durability is often questioned, a few people have had some serious failures. The early hubs were much more problematic.

I'd still use them though, if you can afford the extra then I'd go for it, they will build into a stiffer wheel.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

My mate has had 2 freehubs go in the last 5 months the one that came on the wheel lasted around 9 months so not to bad he may have just been unlucky.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ZTR or AM Classic Hubs?’ is closed to new replies.