Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • ZTR ARCH or CREST 650b
  • bluebouye
    Free Member

I’m stuck between deciding on Factory Arch Ex or Crest on Hope Pro 2s. I’m 6″1 and 90kg which is about 10 pounds over the Crest’s limit. I ride a Carbon Giant XTC advanced and want to keep it as light as possible. I ride mainly xc in the Peaks and from home. I rarely get off the ground but don’t mind hammering single track. Does anyone have experience of 650b Crests and do they flex much? I’ve read reviews where people have said they have crumpled under very little stress. Any views greatly appreciated.

jairaj

For your use I’d say you’d be Ok with a Crest rim.

I used have a 26 wheelset with Crests and was impressed by them. I also weigh around 90kg and at the time used to ride a long travel hardtail and liked to get the wheels of ground. Usual riding is in soft loamy woods but did many trips to wales, peaks and lake district and they coped fine with the rockier terrain.

mudsoul
    Free Member

I have a set of 29er Crests built on Superstar hubs. They’re definitely flexy (or flexier than similar 26 wheels I’ve had, this being my first 29er, but 29er wheels are on average flexier than comparable 26 counterparts as I understand) but seem tough for their weight class. In corners the tyres rub the Mucky Nutz fender I have on the fork, but it’s a big tyre and very little clearance between the tyre and fender.

rondo101
    Free Member

At your weight I wouldn’t go near crests, partly for flex, but also because the rims ding easily for anyone that rides hard ime. I was 20kgs lighter than you and still managed to destroy mine (albeit on a hard tail). Someone will no doubt be along shortly to tell me that it’s because I’m a shit rider again. My arches have held up better to abuse.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ 90kg with trail kit, and found crests didn’t stay true for long, wheels were a decent build by Merlin too. Now run Hope Pro II evo’s on Arch’s and stiff as you like, bike still under 29lbs and running a bontrager 2.4″ upfront tubeless. Whole heartedly recommend Archs. (although I am talking 26″ here)

With 650b your comparing 355g vs 420g so 130gram extra on the bike, 0.28lbs, worth it for the extra stength IMHO especially for some of the Peak descents.

jairaj

Are those who are saying the Crest will not be strong enough taking into account bluebouye’s bike and riding style?

Maybe I got lucky with my wheelset? But mine stayed nice and true, I regularly ride small to mid sized drops and like to pop off any trail features. I also was lacking skill at that point so probably not the smoothest landings either.

Bluebouye, you are border line between the two, depends on how much you value the small weight saving of the Crest. If you really want to keep the weight down go for Crests.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Whichever you choose it’ll be a right bastard to get a tyre on the rim!

jairaj

I found UST tyres where almost impossible to get on.

Specialized tubeless ready tyres went on without a problem and standard Maxis tyres with EXO side walls went on no problem and inflated and sealed with no problems.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m stuck between deciding on Factory Arch Ex or Crest on Hope Pro 2s. I’m 6″1 and 90kg which is about 10 pounds over the Crest’s limit.

I’ve got 29er ZTR rapides (which are just OEM crests with eyelets).

I’m 100kg and not afraid of some airtime, and they’re on a rigid bike, so take some stick too. No issues with them, but then I won’t complain if/when they fold either, I’m well over the weight limit and try not to hang about.

I’ve also go Arch-EX rims, likewise they’re good. Probably quite a bit stiffer, but it’s oddly not been that noticeable, I notice flex in changing forks more than I do the wheels. they are noticeably heavier to accelerate though, but they’re still light enough not to care.

scandal42
    Free Member

My Crests have never been trued or touched, they are straight and take all that my poor technique can throw at them (admittedly I’m far from weighty)

Re did them tubeless with Chunky Monkey and Smorgs the other day, they went straight on with no trouble and inflated with a shit £5 pump from Aldi.

Currently deciding on whether to go Crest again soon on my 27.5 full susser (that I don’t actually have yet)

Oh yea, for the full house of anti STW opinion, they were built by Superstar and were superb from the off.

Boom!

drovercycles
    Free Member

Or – if you’re not set on Stans – consider Ryde rims. The Trace XC is lighter and wider than the Crest EX; the Trace Trail is wider and the same weight as the Arch EX. Both have a weight limit of 100kg.

bluebouye
    Free Member

Thanks for all your opinions. Oooooooh what to do!!!!!!!!!…… I cycle for fitness more than the thrills so I’d like to keep the weight down as I’m riding a carbon hard tail with a XTR/XT mix. I suppose I want my cake and eat it as I want a set of wheels that would compensate for my average biking skills and the odd mad descent but a nice set of light, quick accelerating wheels. I suppose the weight penalty isn’t that great if I go for the Arches but so tempted to go with Crests and see what happens………..Cheers for your thoughts, I knew you lot would come good

GolfChick
    Free Member

Love a good excuse to post this photo

Wasn’t a rocky section or a massive jump/drop, was a steepish slope with a bottoming out effect at the bottom when it flattened out. Rider was less than your weight at the time. Made hell of a bang I can vouch for that!

bluebouye
    Free Member

Just what I’m trying to avoid!!!!…………what rim was it?

GolfChick
    Free Member

a 26 inch crest!

Garry_Lager

Crest on the front, arch on the back? Ran that nae bother for 3 yrs and heavier than you – good build from Moonglu. Wheels on the ground, though.

bigjim

A few kg lighter than you and ran crests for a few months, but they were very flexible and not very resistant to dings. I’d definitely go for something stronger anyway, sounds like you should have the strength to cope with a few extra grams.

emac65
    Free Member

I’ve got 29″ Crest & Arch’s,I’m a similar weight too. What I’ve found, the crest are a bit lighter, (ok so that’s a given), but overall I’m generally quicker on the Arch’s, they flex less & seem “snappier” than the crests.
    EDIT- & the Arch’s need truing less often as well

bluebouye
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I’m more and more swayed towards the Arch’s the more I hear your thoughts. The weight penalty is minimal at about 140g per pair (I think my legs can cope with this weight increase!) and I’d swap that for a stiffer wheel any day than find myself and my front wheel mangled at the bottom of a descent.

mattjg
    Free Member

Arch Ex are great but I find Crests are tougher than people give them credit for if you’re not a hucker or big powerful rider.

Crest F Arch Ex R is a good combo.

(& my experience is on 29, presumably the 650b are stronger).

onewheelgood

I’ve got 650b Crests on ZTR 3.30 hubs on my carbon XTC, but I only with 70kg. They are quite a bit stiffer than my 26″ Crests, but those only have 24 spokes.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I also ran Crests on my 29er SS but managed to ding the rear to the point that I couldn’t run it tubeless. Changed to Arch for the rear and has been trouble free since.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Bluebouye, are you going tubeless?

Sorry if missed it in one of the posts. But if you were planning on crests with tubes, get Arches and go tubeless, weight increase negated. I know crests can go tubeless but i’ve found my Archs always held the air better and never burped.

Also 65gram a wheel, go and weigh out 65 gram of rice and hold it in hand, from a rotational weight point of view its absolutely minimal, I really don’t think you’ll be able to see even a millisecond of 0-20mph lag 😆

br
    Free Member

I’ve 2 pairs of 26″ Crests (on Hope SP’s) and bought them when living down south, light and stiff.

But, since moving to the Borders I’ve managed to split 3 of the rims and been through loads of spokes/re-tensions. They just can’t take the beating that heavier/stiffer rims can and the rocks/roots around here.

I’ve since got a pair of Flow EX’s, and while only an extra 100 or so grams per wheel – different league in terms of stiffness.

Only 80kg and all run tubeless.

bluebouye
    Free Member

Yes cruzcampo I was intending to go tubeless and your point is well made. You’re right on the weight difference too. I put a water bottle on me kitchen scales, filled it with two swigs of water……hey presto the difference in weight. I think i was getting hung up on the weight thing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘ZTR ARCH or CREST 650b’ is closed to new replies.