Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Zone 2 HR Training
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Hang on moment. AFAIK you never did Paleo because the essenetial nutrients in Coca cola and cheesecake, weren’t recommended for Cavemen and so wouldn’t provide you with the means to unleash the Powah!

I’ve iDieted a lot, so close enough. Stopped eating cheesescake and coke years ago – you’ll have to find something else to ridicule me with I’m afraid.

Solo
    Free Member

I’ve iDieted a lot, so close enough. Stopped eating cheesescake and coke years ago – you’ll have to find something else to ridicule me with I’m afraid.

Its not ridicule, it was about the facts. You might reconsider accusing folk of roundly mocking you, when you didn’t do paleo in the first place. As for iDave being close to Paleo. Not imo.
    No ridicule intended.

Edit:
    Give that book a read, if you can.

molgrips
    Free Member

In any case, eating carbs does make me go faster….

Solo
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    In any case, eating carbs does make me go faster….

I’d say their positively manadatory and so I wouldn’t dispute that, in your case.
    😉

However, there’s a lot to be said for power to weight ratios too and having ultimate power, won’t be as useful if the subject is too heavy.
    Which you know, so at the risk of pointing out the obvious, have you considered a slight drop in ultimate power output, if that means you can signifcantly reduce the weight, so as to improve the P2W?

molgrips
    Free Member

Which you know, so at the risk of pointing out the obvious, have you considered a slight drop in ultimate power output, if that means you can signifcantly reduce the weight, so as to improve the P2W?

Yes.. that’s exactly why I am crash dieting until Christmas. I would hope to be able to pick the power up again though.

Solo
    Free Member

Yes.. that’s exactly why I am crash dieting until Christmas.

Well, I wouldn’t suggest that approach will be particularly healthy, but, well, hey-ho.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why not? Getting plenty of veg, more than usual in fact, and enough protein.

Solo
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Why not?

Crash diet to achieve a weight goal/target, isn’t a game I’d play. But we’re all different, so I’ll wish you good luck, not in the “doubt you’ll succeed” sense, but in that I hope you get what you want.

Edit:
    Out of curiousity, why won’t you consider reading something like that book I mention, if you’re interested in diet and performance.

molgrips
    Free Member

I will do once I have the will to 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

So what he’s basically saying is…
    If you want to do 100 mile epics… train for 100 mile epics..
    If you want to be an XC whippet… train for XC whippetry…

etc etc.

I don’t think he is saying that.

And of relevance to this thread, what “base training” entails isn’t necessarily the same for both.

I don’t think he says that either.

Ignoring the bit about the use of ‘decoupling’ as a tool for monitoring when your ‘base’ training is complete for now, all he says is that you should set the intensity/duration of your personal z2 work to suit your experience or your race length. Experienced athletes at the upper end, less experienced at the lower.

He then goes on to say that for cyclists, 2-4hrs of z2 with little evidence of decoupling, is evidence that a sufficient base has been built. Nowhere does he say that Xc whippets or crit racers or TT guys should use a different indicator?

The whole point of base is that it is NOT specific to any discipline. It’s generic fitness. That why you can substitute a certain amount of base work with cross training with no ill effects to the end result.

‘Build’ is where you start to get specific no??

(Mrblobby, given the speeds of some of your rides that appear on Strava, I can’t believe I’m questioning anything you say, but I’m keen to check what I believed when I wrote my Friel based plan is correct 😉 I also think those kind of stand alone articles are often misleading, particularly when they are promoting the analytical power offered by their software)

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Zone 2 HR Training’ is closed to new replies.