Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Zippo Hand Warmers. Any good?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You know, for those times when windmilling is a bit inappropriate. 🙂

Nah seriously, they popped up while I was browsing for footwarmers for mrs DD’s ski boots and they seem to get good reviews and I like the non-disposability. Anybody else use them? Any good?

Stoner
    Free Member

wow – spooky coincidence.

I was in the local this evening and a mate came in with his zippo hand warmer (he’s been a’shootin’ today). It was very very impressive bit of kit. He says a full dose can last well over a day. It was very warm, a nice size and weight. Brilliantly simple bit of kit, and safe too.

I use charcoal sticks in my hand warmer, but they’re a pain to light and keep a light unless the sticks are v good quality.

And for the price the zippo ones look a steal.

Be aware though you cant fly them out hand luggage!

Im going to get myself one, and all my family birthday prezzies are sotrted for the rest of the year too.

scruff9252

I used to have a zippo lighter when I used to smoke. It was a pleasure to use, satisfying weight and function. If their hand warmers are anything like the same I dare say they would be very good indeed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Right that’ll do. Hmmm…one for each mitten? 😀

From “Smoking – My Early Years” I have fond memories of the all the different Zippos we used to have. Replacing the fiddly flints. Best fluid. “Ooooh…where’d you get the one with the Camel Fag Packet on it?” The flick-open-and-light-in-one-fluid-movement. There’s something nice about the way they feel in the hand and they must struggle to shift actual ciggie lighters these days.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah would you look at it. It’s beautiful.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have a whitby handwarmer which is the same.

Can be an arsehole to light and aren’t that warm to the touch but keep a pocket warmish for a long time rather than give you instant toasty hands. I like it.

Stoner
    Free Member

aren’t that warm to the touch

if the zippo werent in it’s pouch it would be painful to hold to the hand for long.

Joe

I’m a cameraman and use one sometimes when i’m standing around in the cold all day. I tend to wear it round my neck as a kind of central heating system under my clothes; if you keep it in a pocket which has contact with cold air, you’ll be surprised at how little heat it puts out. Once exposed to the cold, it takes a while to get warm again.

To be honest it makes everything stink of zippo fluid /petrol which is fine for a cameraman, but can’t say it’s particularly pleasant for anyone who has to be in contact with other people. The smells often makes me feel a bit dizzy.

I wouldn’t not recommend it; but it’s nothing to get that excited about.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😡

joshvegas
    Free Member

if the zippo werent in it’s pouch it would be painful to hold to the hand for long

Yep. Wasn’t a criticism just an observation.

I don’t find it smells too bad

chewkw
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    😡

😆 You got to try it …

Give it a go then report back.

I nearly bought one few years ago but bought some gloves instead … 😀

redthunder
    Free Member

Whilst I was shooting today.

The Zippo hand warmer was more than welcome.

Highly recommendEd and not regretted in any way.

Get one, no worries.

+1

martymac

ive used them, they are fine when in a pocket, i didnt notice any smell at all.
    however, if the pocket gets opened and they are exposed to cold air, they would instantly go out.
    admittedly, this was in -30c.

mefty
    Free Member

The charcoal ones are very simple and work pretty well.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’ve got a Peacock and a zippo, if I had to buy again I’d choose the peacock. The peacock is almost identical to the zippo.

Seems to last a bit longer and my zippo would sometimes go out for no reason where as the peacock never has. I’m sure (from memory) you can buy peacock spares too.

Klunk
    Free Member

my son swears by his, he’s a scaffolder, though they get through a lot of lighter fluid

stevied
    Free Member

Ah, this thread just reminded me I have one in the drawer. Must dig it out for these cold days 🙂

benp1

Same, I’ve had one somewhere in my kit store for a couple of years and have never used it. Now feels like a good time!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

he’s a scaffolder, though they get through a lot of lighter fluid

Probably drinking it in this weather instead of their tea. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Zippo Hand Warmers. Any good?’ is closed to new replies.