Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Zipp 60 wheels – and rim width question
  • OmarLittle
    Free Member

Sorry another road wheel question.

I’ve been offered a pair of Zipp 60 wheels as an upgrade for my new bike for £600, which on the face of it sounds like a good price (RRP is £1000+ although they are available discounted elsewhere for about £800). At RRP they seem overpriced and i wouldnt pay that money but at £600 i’m tempted – however i’m not sure how much of this temptation is based on the big Zipp stickers rather than actual performance.

They are a little weighty – at 1820, although that is to be expected for a pair of alloy / carbon clinchers so not that much of a concern. What concerns me is that the brake track is 18.7mm…all wheel reviews these days mention the benefits of wider rims, they offer more comfort plus are more aero too so am i just being seduced by obsolete technology? Or are they still decent.

mrblobby
    Free Member

big Zipp stickers rather than actual performance.

This I reckon.

For about the same cash I’d get something like these (I’d more likely get the 38mm though). Or Chinese carbon direct and build my own on decent hubs,

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I had a look at the Chinese options last week but i was a bit overwhelmed with the choice, just dont know where to start! What sites would you recommend?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d start with Far Sports or Light Bicycle. Both seem well regarded.

gatsby
    Free Member

I got pretty much the same wheel MrBlobby suggests but direct from Deng Fu. They’re built on Novatec hubs and worked out about £360 with duty.

I went for Deng Fu as they seem to have a good reputation and I’ve heard good stories about aftersales.

Bought mine for the TT bike, so wasn’t worried about braking surface and they won’t get much hammer. They’re quick too!!

G

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

1800gr+is very weighty and like you said not that wide.

HED are another option.

If you don’t fancy Chinese direct try Spin
    http://ridefullgas.com/spin-koppenberg-carbone/

njee20
    Free Member

I’d start with Far Sports or Light Bicycle. Both seem well regarded.

I agree with this. The former for wheels, the latter for rims. I’m all but sold on some 1250g 38mm clinchers on DT 240s from Farsports if I get a new road bike.

geetee1972
    Free Member

There seem to be a lot of threads on road wheels lately…..

+1 for most of what’s been said as well. The Zipp 60s will be a handful on occassion if they are your only wheel and 1800g+ is pretty heavy as well. All other things being equal I would rather have a deep section wheel that was light than heavy.

My sister in law has the Zipp 60s and she says she struggles with them on blustery days. I have ridden my 60mm Wheelsmiths/Gigantex on a fairly windy day and when the cross winds do hit the front it’s not much fun.

gazza100

Geetee, what hubs do you have on your Wheelsmith wheels? I’m considering the Gigantex 38 or 50 aero rims but not sure about what hubs to get. Always been a fan of Hope but the overall price is putting me off.

lunge

Gatsby, did you order the DengFu wheels through Ali Express?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Geetee, what hubs do you have on your Wheelsmith wheels? I’m considering the Gigantex 38 or 50 aero rims but not sure about what hubs to get. Always been a fan of Hope but the overall price is putting me off.

Er, probably best not ask (or rather me not answer!)

With hubs, there is a certain amount of ‘pick what you like/can afford’. Chris King are nice sure, but they make very little performance difference. Mostly they just look nice.

If I had to compromise I would get Novatech hubs and make sure they were well built with light spokes and a decent rim.

gatsby
    Free Member

Lunge, I ordered them direct from Deng Fu. Very helpful and quick turnaround. I’d definitely recommend them… I spec’d them with red hubs and red nipples.

gazza100

From your own experience would you recommend those wheels or Wheelsmith’s own hubs (if you have any experience of the latter)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Zipp 60 wheels – and rim width question’ is closed to new replies.