Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • zip wire
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

apparently there is going to be a 'MILE AND A HALF' or so 'ZIP WIRE' being built in the Lake District… apparently ! you have to walk up a big hill- 2,000 feet to get to it then fly the hell back down ! mint ! 😉 well cool i cant wait ! 😆

soobalias
    Free Member
    parkedtiger
    Free Member

It's Mark Weir up Honister – the plan is for the zip to come off Fleetwith Pike and down to the top of the pass. Be interesting to see if he gets permission.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Brill! I always fantasised about these things. They should also do them from skyscrapers in cities.

trail_rat
    Free Member

They should also do them from skyscrapers in cities

like the vertical one down the auckland skytower ?

highclimber
    Free Member

this is an idea from a guy who slated the OMM, that got cancelled a few years back due to the rain, 'nearly turned the Lake District into a Morgue' I for one think this sets a worrying precedent. It has some very influential backers and I have yet to see what the BMC's stance on this is so the more support it has from individuals the greater the chance this zip line will get the nod.

its like we are reverting back to when the quarries were open, creating an unsightly mess and a terrible noise in a beautiful landscape and that has to be a bad thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

'nearly turned the Lake District into a Morgue'

is that tongue in cheek or is that your view ? i cant work it out in the context of your comment

crazy-legs

Terry: it's that bloke who runs the Via Ferrata thing in Honister Quarry. Well known local troublemaker/opinionated t**t.

He was the one who phoned in the OMM story to the local press causing all those scare stories in the papers about "hundreds of marathon runners lost in floods", "rescuers save thousands from certain death" etc etc. Massive story blown out of all proportion by one tosser seeking a bit of publicity.

He was on TV saying that the organisers of the OMM were irresponsible and "had nearly turned the Lake District into a morgue".

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah ok – highclimbers post makes sense now …

wtf is via ferrata ?

crazy-legs
    pennine
    Free Member

I'm with Highclimber.

It's even been suggested that his plan might have won the support of Wainwright. Now that's just being fanciful and twisting AW's words IMO

highclimber
    Free Member

yeah, sorry about that (note to self: check spelling of posts) it should have read

this is an idea from a guy who slated stated the OMM….

highclimber
    Free Member

Wainwright would be spinning in his grave (if he hadn't been cremated) at the mere suggestion he would have supported this ridiculous idea.

pennine
    Free Member

What's next? rebuilding the old tramway up to Drum so the poor tourists don't have to walk up?

highclimber
    Free Member

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=57124

here is an article about the proposals from UKC

crazy-legs

There was a massive zip wire across a valley in Morzine last time we were there. All a bit disorganised but it was a good ride. You got into a sort of suit with clamps fitted to the back of it and that was clipped into the zip wire by 2 separate cables, there was one further safety wire too. Lying face down suspended under the cable the guy then pulled a release hook and you just gently accelerated away, going from 6ft off the ground to 500ft as you passed the edge of the cliff. Max speed was about 60mph, wire was about 1km and you reached the other side of the valley then went into a sort of buffer zone of ropes to slow you down. Walk back to the valley bottom then cable car back to the start.

Good fun but the wire did make one hell of a racket that could clearly be heard from the valley bottom.

nickc

Ahhh, come and enjoy the Lakes but only in a way we think is OK….says the Friends of the Lakes

highclimber
    Free Member

the planning application states

As a result of ongoing customer research and demand plus the need to sustain full-time employment out of the peak tourist season, Honister [mine] proposes to develop a THIRD via ferrata product to be known as "Lancaster Aerial Flight". This zipwire will transport participants from the top of Fleetwith Pike down to the exsisting workshop/Visitor Centre, mirroring the industrial heritage of the past…

from http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/swiftlg/TempMedia/51215-143937.pdf
    He is trying to put it forward as heritage of slate mining which is a poor excuse to create such an eye (and ear)sore.

nickc

which is a poor excuse to create such an eye (and ear)sore.

In your opinion, obviously you don't know that it will be, seeing as it's not built yet. Mind you, on the other hand people might enjoy it, and y'know, have some fun…Can't have that, eh?

highclimber
    Free Member

I know that it will create a lot of noise and that a 1200m steel cable with a 3m high tower on the top of fleetwith pike and a huge building at the base will be a bit of an eyesore.

aracer
    Free Member

Ahhh, come and enjoy the Lakes but only in a way we think is OK

If you can't enjoy what's already there, maybe you should be going somewhere else – I hear Alton Towers has some exciting rides.

elaineanne
    Free Member

what about the pulley system that was up there years ago to bring the slate down…was that an eyesore too ? it will be fun i think…. 😉
    i guess its going to be the 'noise pollution' then that mite not let plans see this through… we shall have to wait n see 8)

highclimber
    Free Member

what about the pulley system that was up there years ago to bring the slate down…was that an eyesore too ? it will be fun i think….

I imagine it was an eyesore as anything man-made and out of context is. just because there use to be one doesn't mean there should be one now.

elaineanne
    Free Member

spoil sport 👿 😉

nickc

just because there use to be one doesn't mean there should be one now.

Equally, that doesn't mean it can't be…

The countryside evolves y'know? It changes constantly, it's never static no matter how much you'd like it to be

Given the pollution of the almost constant traffic around the lakes, and the boats and the occasional Fighter going through at a billion miles an hour and the eyesore that is Keswick on a busy Saturday in Summer, and the almost Mall like crowds on Cat-bells on a sunny day in the Holidays….A bit a wire, and a tower ain't going to make shit all difference…Is it?

aracer
    Free Member

Where is your personal line then, nickc? Cable car to the top of Helvellyn? Road up Skiddaw with a car park and cafe at the top? Fill in part of Derwent Water to build a new shopping centre? I mean given how polluted and busy the lake District is already, none of these things will really make any difference.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Life in the World State in A.F. 632 is dominated by very advanced technology, which influences all aspects of life. Sport – a pillar of the World State – consists of various games played using a bewildering array of high-tech gadgets, in order to keep factories busy. Games such as "Centrifugal Bumble-Puppy", "Riemann Surface Tennis", and "Electro-Magnetic Golf" are major distractions for all levels of society. Another key aspect of entertainment are the "feelies" – the World State's high-tech version of "movies". In the later part of the novel, Lenina takes John to a feely, where the concept is explained. Users rest their hands on metal knobs protruding from the arms of their chair, allowing them to feel the physical sensations of the actors on-screen (these seem to be used almost exclusively for sexual films). Various other high-tech entertainment devices feature heavily in the book, including Synthetic Music Boxes, Scent Organs (musical instruments which combine music with pleasant aromas), Colour Organs (combining music with a dazzling light show), and televisions..

Don't know why but this came to mind.

joemarshall
    Free Member

It's on the road there right? Down from the top to the visitor centre.

Surely the good walks and the bits that are really wildernessy are round the back, not on the road where the slate centre is?

Having seen the one in Morzine, I don't think it was much of an eyesore. People on it did make quite a noise with their screams though.

Joe

parkedtiger
    Free Member

There's blue rope marking the potential path of the wire at the moment – it's on the road side / over the pass, rather open fell. I suspect Mr.Weir needs the extra income to pay for his helicopter rides to the Shepherd's cafe.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The lake district should not become a rural theme park. I don't see a lot wrong with the zipwire proposal – easy to remove, low visual impact, low pollution, brings in revenue.

i don't know the location or any more details than posted here tho so not enough info to reach a firm conclusion

elliptic
    Free Member

From the top of the big crag all the way to the camera position, pretty much.

Yes, the Lakes should not become a "theme park", that's exactly the point.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If the lakes are not just going to be a twee rural theme park then employment is needed. Would the wire be that much of an eyesore?

Rural areas can't stand still and remain the same for ever.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I'm not particularly for or against the idea really – however, I would have said that the massive trucks that drive up and down the grey road you can see on the far left of that image – transporting slate from the quarry on top of Fleetwith – would perhaps constitute more of an eyesore than the zipwire. It’s a very industrial environment around that whole area anyway.

elliptic
    Free Member

If the lakes are not just going to be a twee rural theme park then employment is needed.

You said that already and it's just as fatuous the second time.

The economy of the Lake District is entirely based on the fact that it *is* a twee rural theme park attracting colossal numbers of tourists to see the pretty lakes and hills and then spend their money…

🙄

(I should know, I lived and worked there for ten years.)

nickc

The lake district should not become a rural theme park.

Too late, have you been up Cat bells recently?

jp-t853

Grumpy rant! I have lived in keswick for most of my life (now live in East Cumbria) I can ride in peace.

Everyone I know agrees with the comments about Mr Weir, always an opinion mountain races, floods etc etc Jeremy vine regular.

I love to get out and about but it is getting seriously overcrowded and far removed from peaceful enjoyment. Massive races taking up roads & bridleways where the enjoyment of a like minded group is at the detrement of all other users. I was recently pushing my bike up a steep section behind Skiddaw when a woman said 'I hope you are going to move aside I don't like to stop', 'neither do I' was the polite response. We then compound these events by having adventure courses and groups here there and everywhere. AND bloody fox hunting will be back before we know it.

I need a lie down.

Burts
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member
    There was a massive zip wire across a valley in Morzine last time we were there

C'est la Fantasticable!

Its actually in Chatel, over the Pre La Joux bike park. Found a decent video of it here, you can see a load of the trails and even the slopestyle course at 1min10s.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘zip wire’ is closed to new replies.