Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Zesty owners: A moment of your time please
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I've been tormenting myself with thoughts of changing bikes and I could do with a little advice from those with first-hand experience.

Have been thinking of getting rid of my Trance (4.2in rear, 120mm Reba) and Reign (6in rear with 160mm Fox 36) – and replacing them with a Zesty with the new 120-150mm Rev maxle lite.

So I suppose what I'm asking is, do you think the Zesty would be an acceptable substitute for both? Would it still have the "pop" of the Trance in singletrack and on smooth tracks like trail centres? Would it still be able to plough through rocks in the Lakes?

Trance currently mainly gets used down south, where it's perfect for most of my riding – but I'm moving to Leeds in the next year hopefully – and thought a 140mm bike might make more sense up there.

Reign is mainly for rocky rides in the Lakes, Scotland and Wales. I like it, but the HA is a tad too steep for me to be comfortable doing scary things – and a lot of the time I feel like I'm dragging too much travel around. I also feel like a lot of rides fall between the two bikes.

All opinions will be greatfully received.

chakaping
    Free Member

These bikes must not be as popular as I'd thought then.

Nobody got one?

ojom
    Free Member

Happy to offer advice if you like in a non selling way.

Had mine just over a year now and is our best seller in the shop.

Feel free (no obligation etc no sales pitch etc) to call and chat – 0131 557 2801. Typing is too slow.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I've got an 09 714 which is used in both the peaks and the lakes. I love it, it's a lot faster through singletrack twists and turns than you'd expect of a 140mm bike. Having said that you can also point it in a straight line when it gets rocky and it copes fine. The only change I'd make (other than tires) is to an adjustable fork, talas or uturns etc. Its fine for trail centers but on really steep climbs I'd like to be able to drop the front a bit. Feel free to drop me an email if you've any other questions.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Simple answer is no it won't be as snappy as the Trance or as plush as the Reign.

Although, I think you'll find it's a very good compromise between the two.

I ride a Cove Hustler with 140mm travel front and back. I think it's a great Trail/AM bile. I've ridden it on XC over the South Downs, at UK Trail Centres, on Uplift days and two trips to the Alps (including riding the Mega). It didn't feel out of place or it's depth at all. That said I wouldn't choose it for an XC race or full on DH race.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I nearly bought a second hand frame earlier this year and researched it quite a lot and from what I've read it would be a great substitue and probably more enjoyable than both bikes. it will probably be the same weight or evenlighter than the trance (definatelky so if it's an older trance). However if it's a newvwer reign it won't be that much lighter and both are effiecnt climbers so you might not notice an improvment there either. Downhill the reigh would probably have it but the zesty usually impresses with it's ability above and beyond it's remit.
    I doubt you'll regret your desicision but it might be worth looking at the spicy if you really enjoy pushing your reign.
    I was looking for a bike that would be great fun at the trail centres and I could take to the portes du soliel and have a blast on. The zesty ticked my boxes but for regular light dh use the reign or spicy would perhaps be better

HendyTreker
    Free Member

I have the 09 914 and got to admit, for the kind of riding I do, it ticks all the boxes. Goes uphill really well, downhill superb and like IvanDobski said, for a 140mm bike, it can handle the singletrack well. From what you say about your Reign, I'd be looking at the Spicy as well though.

pstokes99
    Free Member

I haven't ridden either of the bikes you currently own and I am probably not a good enough rider to give you meaningful advice, however if you're coming over to Leeds shortly then let me know. I have a 2008 Zesty 314 (Large) with 2010 RS revelations (not UTurn) on it if you want to have a go.

Also a couple of local shops are likely to have Lapierre demo bikes (Crosstrax in Rodley & Boneshakers in Harrogate)

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for all that guys. Might give you a bell if the plan moves beyond the tentative stage thanks bikechain.

pstokes – Cheers for the offer. I do ride near Leeds a bit, but I'm a medium.

Funny enough I'm planning on moving to Leeds this year or next – and that was part of the reason I thought a 140mm bike might be better than a shorter or longer one.

How do you find it for the local riding/Dales/Peaks?

Jenga
    Free Member

Isn't there something funny about their bottom brackets? Push fit, non HTII and non replaceable bearings other than buying a full new assembly at £60? It sticks in my mind to be careful if I was to buy one, or is that some other bike? I get confused about specs easily.

ojom
    Free Member

chapaking – happy to talk regardless of buying intention, after all i own one personally.

dasnut
    Free Member

the problem with "you people" is that you don't read what I post anymore:

fix for zesty BB issue

so thats the BB sorted.
    All round the zesty is the best bike I have ever had (had a few) and now even better with a PUSH'd VAN R rear shock and PUSH'd coil Pikes. I have the original white 714 and its been hammered I can tell you. The chainstay pivots are in fact bushes as I have had to replace them as well fact fans. Its the micro downhill bike to my mini downhill bike (sc nomad) but it goes up too. Bonus. It was certainly sub 30lbs out of the box.

As they say in dirt, stick a 50mm stem on it and go razzing (I did)

All in all, buy one, you won't regret it….

ojom
    Free Member

wot he said ^

carbon337
    Free Member

Jenga, i heard that they are push fit or something like that. there is a thread on bike radar where 2 people have had cracked frames at the BB. I'm not sure full story though.

Shizzletrack
    Free Member

09 714 here, best bike EVER! The BB is quite low, but other than that, I'd be happy to ride it anywhere. Didn't someone win the Mega on it last year, or was in Nico riding one?

khewett
    Free Member

2010 714 here, great bike relegated anything else to the back of garage!

nasher
    Free Member

Chakaping.

My partner has ordered a Zesty for exactly the reasons above..

The spicy which she loves was just a little too much for her on the climbs and because she is so light, she never really used the 6 inches of travel.

she currently has the trance and after coming from the spicy she hates it…a bit better on the climbs (lightness) but for handling and responsiveness is nothing like the Spicy.

she tested a Zesty and it was everything the Spicy was for her but lighter and faster!!!

IMO the Zesty is a much better bike than the trance (owned both), and having owned Reigns, I wouldnt say it would have the rock munching capability but the handling of the zesty will give you more confidence and ultimately you will go faster.

for the riding I do the Zesty is just a little too flimsy for me… but i love my spicy's…and the Froggy is a monster!!!

If you want any further info drop me a line as I have alot of experience of these bikes and I could get you a good deal on a new one (I dont own a shop)

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for that fellas, very helpful.

nasher – You were filling me in on the Froggy a while ago too. I've actually ordered one and am still waiting for it to come in stock (I'm getting a pretty killer deal).

Have you clicked more with your Froggy now then? You were reserving judgement a bit before IIRC.

erny
    Free Member

Test rode a zesty and a ornge 5 from bike treks when i was changing my heckler,i bought the 5.Bike treks have a orange demo day coming up soon and i'm sure they have a demo zesty,try them both and decide for yourself

nasher
    Free Member

The Froggy I ordered is simply too big for me when it comes to cornering and tight stuff.

I should have gone for the smaller size, but when riding it on the straight rocky stuff its unreal….hence why I want another..518 this time and swap the 36's fooor some 66's.

Which model have you gone for?

chakaping
    Free Member

I've ordered the 318, and I've got a nice matching silver Totem ready to replace the Domain.

There was too much of the same kit on the 518 for it to make sense to me, considering the £1000 difference.

Hoping it'll be here in about a month now.

chakaping
    Free Member

Finally got round to having a test ride on a Zesty on Saturday and I was seriously impressed.

Rode the 2010 514 and it was much faster and lighter than I'd expected for a 140mm bike, loved the handling too.

Pretty sure I'm going to get one, just need to do my due diligence – so if any Zesty owners could help me with the following Qs that'd be excellent…

1. What's the rear tyre clearance like? I read that 2.3 might be a squeeze on the alu rear ends and that is a bit of a concern.

2. For 2010 bike owners: My one negative comment was that the top tube felt a touch short. Do you find that becomes an issue on longer rides at all?

Thanks in advance!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

tyre clearance is fine I have a 2.2 conti rubber queen on the back and there's room to spare and the conti seems bigger than a regular 2.2.

as for top tube I'm 6ft 2" and ride a large and it feels fine, my mate who's 6ft 5" rode it and commented how roomy it was, add a layback seatpost and there'll be tons of room fella

i have a 09 514 and running 2.35 small b8 / they come up about same size as 2.50 DH high rollers and still room in there for more (been on all winter and they are ace )
    5.10 on med with GD post and 70mm stem .

Sancho
    Free Member

when you get to Leeds give me a shout Ill show you the trails. hope you get a zesty they are mint.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds encouraging about tyres, thanks. I'd probably be riding on a 2.2 RQ or 2.35 SB8 (or Nev) as it happens.

I'm looking at a med and I think they've taken 5mm off the TT for 2010. That might well contribute to the amazing handling. Felt just a tad short, but not really a deal breaker.

Sancho – will do cheers mate.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I've had a 2.4 Conti RQ in the back of my 09 714 – not really a goer in the mud but fine in the dry.

JohnnyPanic

Didn't someone win the Mega on it last year, or was in Nico riding one?

Doh, No, that was a carbon Meta 5.
    Another good choice for a 140mm bike.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Nico rode one in the mega. but he didn't win. came 3rd?

chakaping
    Free Member

I've put a deposit down.

REALLY looking forward to getting it – and it is in stock so I should have it this week.

I'm not going to ride the Mega on it though..

😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Zesty owners: A moment of your time please’ is closed to new replies.