Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Zesty or Stumpjumper (Pros & Cons)
  • jon773
    Free Member

Need a new bike as the old one just got nicked (2010 SJ Expert Carbon).

Trying to decide between a Stumpjumper or a Zesty. Not considering anything esle at the moment. Two to choose from is hard enough.

People who have 2011/2012 bikes and have opinions or advice, it would be greatly received. Especially people who have ridden both.

If i get a chance to test ride them both i will, but its unlikely.

I ride XC/AM and ride around North Downs and leith Hill areas.

Also go up to the Lakes and across to Wales to trail centers.

Not in a massive rush to decide as i need to find out what the insurance company will pay out and i also need a few items of addition security for the garage, ahem.

Paceman
    Free Member

My mate has just bought a Zesty 314 and is really pleased with it. I borrowed it for a loop of the MBR trail at Coed-Y-Brenin and it felt really good, a very sorted bike. It climbed well, and was an absolute hoot going downhill.

I’d try and get a demo ride on the two bikes if I were you.

rewski
    Free Member

I ride XC/AM and ride around North Downs and leith Hill areas.

Have you thought about popping down to Nirvana in Westcott, they have a demo Zesty. I bought my 514 from them a few years ago, perfect bike for Surrey Hills.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’ve got a now very modified / upgraded 2011 514 and love it , I’ve had a 2009/10 stumpy and liked it a lot but the zesty made me look much better/ faster than I really am . Both Great bikes don’t think you will go far wrong with ether of them ??? But zesty all the way !!!

jon773
    Free Member

Good call on Nirvana, i will see if i can get over at the weekend. Thanks

continuity
    Free Member

They’re the same suspension design, they have very similar geometry, they weigh roughly the same (Lappy heavier), they both have a tapered headtube, iscg mounts and roughly the same travel , and the component parts are up to you but generally very similar with the occasional swap from avid to formula on brakes.

So basically, pick the one that you like the look of more or that is cheaper.

Everything else is just cockpit setup, size, tyre/tyre pressures and suspension setup and don’t kid yourself that you can tell beyond that.

stumpy01

What is Lapierre’s warranty like? If you really can’t choose between them, then at least with the Specialized you know the warranty will be top drawer.

gdj001
    Free Member

What model Stumpjumper are you looking at?

I’ve got a 2011 elite so it’s got the brain shock which i’m not 100% sure of so thinking of getting an rp23 off the stumpjumper evo. I find the brain a bit of a comprimise. I like how the bike rides, particularly downhill, with the brain 3 from fully open but it’s a bit soft (too much sag) going uphill. So if I put more air in the shock i dont get anywhere near full travel. But others might feel differently…

continuity
    Free Member

What is Lapierre’s warranty like? If you really can’t choose between them, then at least with the Specialized you know the warranty will be top drawer.

This as well. I forgot about warranty.

So it’s looks/warranty that defines it. They’ll ride the same. Aka pretty well.

Northwind

Is it the standard Stumpy or the Evo you’re looking at? Normal one is good, Evo is incredibly awesome. If I could only have one bike, it’d be one of them.

Nowt wrong with the Zesty either but it’s not incredibly awesome.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I had a Zesty 214, followed by a Titus FTM carbon and now back to a Zesty but it’s 514 (carbon). Superb bike. Horst link as per Spesh, but the position of the chainstay pivots is slightly different in relation to the rear axle, so I imagine they ride subtly different?

portydave
    Free Member

I have a 2011 zesty 514 and it’s awsome. The new ones can be converted from 140 to 160 travel I believe…….something I wish mine did!

itsallgood

Zesty, all the way for me. It just rides better, but try both.

I’ve had the Spec and currently ride a Zesty.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Zesty or Stumpjumper (Pros & Cons)’ is closed to new replies.