Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Zesty Maxle Conversion
  • boltonjon

I’m running a 2011 Zesty 314 and wondered if anyone new if its possible to swap out the standard axle drop-outs and fit new drop outs which would accept a bolt-thru back axle?

Cheers

Northwind

Can you weld? If so then converting to a maxle setup is doable. Otherwise, 10mm thru-axle will work in standard dropouts. But why?

honourablegeorge

The dropouts on the Zesty aren’t removable, are they? You’d need a whole new seatstay assembly.

boltonjon

The replaceable mech hanger is removable, but it also acts as a locating point for the wheel. The non-drive side locating point is also removable

Why – to stiffen the back end up

And yes, i’ve welded in the past, but it looked more like pigeon droppings than carefully engineered metal fusion!! 😀

Rickos
    Free Member

If your hubs allow it, you could get a 10mm bolt in (or through) axle that would amount to pretty much the same thing.

honourablegeorge

boltonjon – Member

The replaceable mech hanger is removable, but it also acts as a locating point for the wheel. The non-drive side locating point is also removable

Right – the newer models have a different setup then.

boltonjon

OK, stupid idea – just been fettling and see that the attachments for the drop outs are two tiny, maybe 3mm, screws holding it on to the frame.

If there was such a kit, then they’d be the main stress points, and i highly doubt they’d take the strain

Stupid idea!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Zesty Maxle Conversion’ is closed to new replies.