Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • zesty – livable with
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

thinking about getting a zesty but there are a few issues that are annoying me – basically real world stuff-

is the press fit BB a pain in the a**?

that cable routing is way shonky, anyone sucked the chain and mangled cable/carbon rear end?

xt wheels – not on all models – way light but look sketchy in terms of robustness, spoke replacement etc

bearings generally – how do they hold out?

tyres – anyone switched them out to highrollers or something with a bit more grip

my worry is that i get a pretty light bike that works well for a year then becomes a pain?

also anyone tried a heavier wheelset or 160 fork? thinking that a few switches could change its range (yeah i know that is what the spicy is for but i could live with one 100% of the time)

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Munkyboy, a few practical notes….

Yes, the bb is shocking – mine lasted 3 rides. The replacements cost more than normal external and are also less widely available. As are the tools for removing them, if you’re not happy using a drift/bodging it.

The bottom bracket shell width means that with triple ring chainsets, the clearance between the inner ring bolt tabs and the shell is minimal. The paint has already been worn off round the edge of the bb shell. Its a similar concerns on the On One carbon whippet by the sounds of it.

Also just noticed that the top mount bolt on the shock screws into the frame (i.e. not through the frame and into a nut). Not really very clever design at all. So if you strip the threads in the frame you’re knackered. I’d like to check my bearings but I’m scared to unbolt the shock too often in case it strips.

The cable routing does look horrificly convoluted, but its a full length outer, so I imagine it will be fairly mud resistant. No chain suck so far.

And I don’t think the full alloy frame is that light really. I’d guess about 7lb.

It does ride well though

slowrider
    Free Member

I’ve just got a zesty 714 so cant comment on longevity. I was considering a long fork but I don’t think it would suit, it’s a nice shape bike as it is (and I prefer them on the slack, fun side), I’ve fitted offset bushings instead of messing with fork travel.

Press fit bb, I’ve just taken mine out of my 6 month old spicy and it’s ready to be changed ut it’s had a winter of peaks grinding paste so I cant complain.

No issues with the cable routing, though I did trap the cable with my chain guide when I smacked it. Soon freed up though. I got chainsuck once on a really gloopy ride, scratched the frame just where the protective plate is on the carbon frame.

The xt wheels aren’t way light, similar to pro 2’s on stans flows so good but not featherweight. A friend has had a set for a couple of years with no issues besides normal maintenance and breaking a spike once. Got a spare no probs though.

Bearings are still solid on my spicy.

Tyres, silly light! I took them off straight away as I tend to pinch puncture a lot. Plenty of room for a high roller 2.35 or similar. I’ve gone for bonty 2.35 big earls and they seem good so far. Rubber queen 2.4 just fits but they are massive!

First impressions are that it’s a wicked aggro trail bike but I’d draw the line at dh tracks. Perfect for 90% of the riding I do.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘zesty – livable with’ is closed to new replies.