Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Zesty frame with maxel swingarm and external BB!
  • Paul-j

As the title says really, how many people would be interested in a zesty style frame ie. geo and travel wise. But has a bolt through swingarm and external BB.

Cheers

Northwind

TBH the Zesty has a decently stiff rear end, maxle wouldn’t add much to it IMO, it’d just cause wheel compatability issues. On the other hand, DEATH TO BB30.

Paul-j

just and idea that i have but need to know how many people would actually would want a zesty like that also with the ability to change rear travel?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Paceman
    Free Member

Are you planning to make one?

cruzer
    Free Member

isnt the whole point of having a maxel to stiffen the rear end? which considering that the zesty and spicy frames are exactly the same, just with different shocks seems like its plenty stiff enough.

Also doesnt the zesty come with a BB92/90 bottome brakcet? which means you can still use the same cranks as you normally would, it just increases the stiffness around the BB area due to the increased weld contact patch.

i can understand where the ideas coming from, just seems a little pointless in regards your trying to stiffen up something that is already stiff, whilst trying to make the more important part more flexible? 😕

Please correct me if im wrong 🙂 im never one to kill ideas, just need to find a better way to solve a problem 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

It just needs a drain hole in the BB, nothing wrong with the BB besides that. I can barely tell the difference between QR and bolt-through forks so not sure I’d get much from a maxle rear although it seems that’s the future (until another non-standard standard comes along).

Paul-j

Just an idea, but no point putting it into play if there isn’t a market for it.
    I personally prefer external BB ease of changing, cleaning etc. Hate the idea of hitting a bottom bracket out. that video of how to remove an internal bb makes me shudder at the whole frame shaking. unless i’ve seen it done wrong but it was from welovelapierre.com.
    and again I do see the logic in bolt through swingarms, my self but each to their own.

deanfbm
    Free Member

BB90s are poo. Correctly implemented BB30 all the way, IE, with bearings that press directly into the shell, crank axle that rests directly on the bb inner race.

The way bb30 has been implemented so far is to use small bearings (not much gain in stiffness and longevity), then adapter cups for the bearing into bb shell (allows machining inaccuracy in the shell, allows the bearings to shift and creak).

BB30 should allow the use of off the shelf bearings that press directly in the shell. The larger bearings allow larger, stiffer, lightweight crank axles to be used (think ethirteen). Because the shell has no internal lips, the bb shell can be reamed in a single pass after welding to ensure excellent bearing alignment and cheaper/easier manufacturing.

I don’t understand how it could be implemented so badly by the cycling industry.

Google mid or spanish bb for BMX’s BB30 should be implemented in a similar manner to these but it’s better.

Also larger bb shell, greater seattube/downtube/whatever else interface, allows for stronger/stiffer tube junctions

honourablegeorge

If you use a non-shimano BB, there’s no need to remove it.

We Love Lapierre did this video, it makes me feel all warm inside whenever I watch it.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tYbXFMfjluA[/video]

Paul-j

Fair doo’s.
    just an idea like i say. thought a few people would be interested. Doubt i’ll put it into practice, but if you don’t ask you don’t know.

Paul-j

any way, again I ask if your interested please just say yes.
    cheers

nmdbase
    Free Member

No, French carp 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

It sounds from the OP like you are on about a whole new frame not a retro fit rear end.

jam-bo

Sounds like you want a five…

Paul-j

keeping my cards close to my chest, but needs a market.
    and no its not a whole new frame, a mod to a new frame coming.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Zesty frame with maxel swingarm and external BB!’ is closed to new replies.