Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Zesty 714 – greasing pivot bearings
  • dang100
    Free Member

Hi, I just bought a 714 second hand and it creaks like a pirate ship when I crank hard on the pedals. I checked it over and no cracks so I’m thinking I’ll regrease the bearings.

Before I plough into it, Has anyone got any tips?

Cheers,

DanG

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

1st suspect is bottom bracket , then cranks arm / pedals , just changed my frame bearings for Kai tech upgraded ones !!! Also make sure it’s not the seat post creaking !!! Home bearing change is possible but a bit bum squeaky when your pressing out the articulation bushes !!! Obviously being careful about damaging the Carbon .

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1, pivot bearings would be last thing I would check for creaking when pedalling. Does it do it only when seated (saddle or post clamp might need cleaning), if not BB most likely candidate. Remove, clean threads, grease and refit tightly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cheers_drive

Check the dropout bolts too.
    Next most likely is the shock bushing IME

lloydy2
    Free Member

I had creaking from the first ride on my 2012 zesty 514! Took it back to the shop ps cycles where i bought it from and they diagnosed as the rear pivot bushes, they was going to replace them but hotlines told them to strip and regrease and it’s been silent since! The bushes are right at the back end of the bike, i think they are similar to the du bushes in the rear shock eyes. Hope you solve the creaking as it sounds really bad through the carbon frame.

koolkurt
    Free Member

Also worth checking the cables around the chainstay , was certainly the case on my spicy.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Don’t grease bushes. Change bushes, bottom bracket. Also grease headset. The spacers can creak. Give the drive side RH chain stay a good pull. You might see obvious movement. Just changed mine after 2.5 years.

dang100
    Free Member

thanks everyone. it only creaks when cranking hard out of the saddle. bottom bracket sounds like a likely candidate. if not i think i’ll get a shop to look at the bearings – sounds like a lot of hassle. cheers, dang

argoose
    Free Member

Rear wheel axle may be dry, try a smear of grease on that too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Zesty 714 – greasing pivot bearings’ is closed to new replies.