Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • zero spacers under stem – ok?
  • dodd4721
    Free Member

I have a Fox Float 180mm fork with a tapered steerer, I have come to fit it to my new frame but when inserted through the headtube and used with a Easton Havoc Stem and no spacers underneath, the top of the steerer tube sits 3mm below the top of the stem – is it ok to use no spacers at all?

clubber
    Free Member

Yes it’s fine.

cardo

I’d call that a perfect fit. 8)

martinhurton
    Free Member

Yes, why wouldn’t it be?

wwaswas

I’d put a small spacer above the stem but otherwise it’ll be fine.

joao3v16
    Free Member

It’ll be fine.

Although it’s worth checking whether your brake levers and/or shifters smack the crossbar when your bars are turned past 90 degrees. Could be worth a 3mm spacer under the stem if you think damage could be done if your bars get spun round that far.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I like to use a small spacer (~1mm) just to make sure the stem isn’t pushing on the top cap in a funny way but it will be fine.

svalgis
    Free Member

Could be worth a 3mm spacer under the stem

That would mean the steerer tube ends 6mm below the stem – is that really okay? Where would you draw the line?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yep, slam that stem.

float
    Free Member

if youre running a particularly short stem and have a particularly large diameter headset top cup they could interfere, so check that. otherwise go for it.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

If the steerer is 3mm shy of the top of the stem with no spacers, I would not put any spacers underneath.
    The top of the steerer must be above the centre line of the top clamping bolt of the stem. IIRC Easton and Thompsen recommend that if the steeer is shy of the top of the stem there is a limit of 3mm max, so as said above,it sounds like you have a perfect fit without using any spacers

joao3v16
    Free Member

Could be worth a 3mm spacer under the stem

That would mean the steerer tube ends 6mm below the stem – is that really okay? Where would you draw the line?

Ah, yeh. Probably too much of a difference then.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Have you just assembled it or have you preloaded the bearings? You might find that that 3mm reduces when you tighten up the top bolt.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends if the bike still fits you .

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh a slam that stem – one of the most rediculous fashions this decade – somewhere down beside lumo pink paint jobs

wwaswas

trail_rat – sounds like he has no choice due to taller stack height on new frame?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh yes , wasnt directed at him – largely the slam that stem content

Amount of folk that would come into the shop with a sore back

Why is your steerer so short ?

Xyz pro has his like that.

dodd4721
    Free Member

Fork was taken from another bike so I don’t get any choice over stack height but I can run a 1mm spacer with a Spank Spike Race stem [35mm stack height] with 2/3mm gap between the top of the stem & the top of the steerer tube.
    Thanks for all the replies.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘zero spacers under stem – ok?’ is closed to new replies.