Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • "Zero" or "Oh"…anybody else mix them up all the time?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was just on the phone to my online banking team on the sub-continent and while saying my account number, sort code and mobile number (four zeros in total), I managed to say “zero” twice and “oh” twice. Fair dues to them, they must be trained to recognise that when talking to native english speakers, that they’ll throw in zeros and ohs willy-nilly. e.g. I’m fairly sure that nearly everyone starts his or her telephone number with “oh”. All I needed to do was say “nought” in there somewhere as well. 😀

Weird old language we speak.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah can’t say I have tbh, I work in Finance/IT and have always distinguished a Zero 0 and an O. They are afterall distinct.

seadog101

Zero for general numbers, and Oh for Phone numbers.

Pook

yes I do. All the time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Zero for general numbers, and Oh for Phone numbers.

Ah, that’s where I fell down. Must have been having to say a telephone number and an account number in the same sentence. Silly me.

Sheesh, this is a really riveting thread.

Junkyard
    Free Member

zero Oh no it isn’t

peterfile
    Free Member

I was just on the phone to my online banking team on the sub-continent and while saying my account number, sort code and mobile number (four zeros in total), I managed to say “zero” twice and “oh” twice. Fair dues to them, they must be trained to recognise that when talking to native english speakers, that they’ll throw in zeros and ohs willy-nilly. e.g. I’m fairly sure that nearly everyone starts his or her telephone number with “oh”. All I needed to do was say “nought” in there somewhere as well.

Cool story, bro 🙂

I do the same though. The thought of saying the Glasgow dialling code with zero is just bizarre, yet I use zero for the rest of the number.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cool story, bro

Ain’t it just! 😛 Apologies, slow Saturday. But, yeah, I deserved that.

nealglover
    Free Member

As some comedian who I can’t remember suggested, I like to say my phone number as one number 🙂
    But I do say zero rather than “oh”

Zero, seven thousand nine hundred seventy six million, six hundred and fifteen thousand five hundred and eighty five.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

neal, dunno if you saw, but I asked on that house swap thread if you had a link for that place in meribel you rented?

(Continuing the sheer edge-of-your-seat-ness of this thread.)

robowns
    Free Member

I do all the time and I work in commercial banking.

This isn’t a new problem, it’s been around since the telephone was invented in nineteen zero one.

I wonder what James Bond says ?

nealglover
    Free Member

neal, dunno if you saw, but I asked on that house swap thread if you had a link for that place in meribel you rented?
    (Continuing the sheer edge-of-your-seat-ness of this thread.)

Sorry I missed it.

Have a lookie here. ….

http://www.skimottaret.com/

Drac

Nought me

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers neal.

Marin
    Free Member

0 for 0 always but I did work as a radio operator. Shame my spelling is not as concise.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘"Zero" or "Oh"…anybody else mix them up all the time?’ is closed to new replies.