• This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Zefal no mud – mud guard – who has one?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just TRIED fitting mine to the swing arm on a titus ftm – PITA! Needed a chunck (about 40mm) cutting out of the front edge to clear the seat tube on full compression. Also needed the “arms” to be 20mm longer so ended up using the long tabs with spacers to push the guard up. To perfect it i could do with 2 rubber wine corks or similar with notches cut out for the gear cable and brake hose.

Anyone use these – pics of the stays etc appreciated, anyone else had similar woes?

snaps
    Free Member

They take a bit of playing with to get right & they’re to thin for Maxxis over 2.1

rewski
    Free Member

Apologies for adding no value to the op, but you’ve made two lovely bikes look complete monsters, go natural and just embrace the mud, it’s just wet dust, and the odd dogs egg.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes why be wet , muddy and cold when you can look cool

rewski
    Free Member

You can be muddy and wet without being cold.

starsh78
    Free Member

mudguards? on mountain bikes? you lot sicken me…

althepal

Yep- using one on my 575.. Had thought of trying something similar in a homebrew fashion but would have been very similar to it.
    Have used crud catchers in the past but had to mount it high up due to the rear wheel arc. It keeps the profile a bit cleaner, does the job, and was reasonably cheap too..
    Plus I’ve got a reverb to go on so will keep most of the crap off it!

shindiggy
    Free Member

doesn’t look like there is a lot of clearance, do they not get completely clogged up with mud.

JoeG
    Free Member

No issues installing mine, it fits real well and is bar far the best rear fender that I’ve ever used. I only run it when needed, which isn’t very often. I’ll try to get a photo tomorrow if I remember.

JoeG
    Free Member

This is a very quick pic of mine before I rode this afternoon. I don’t mount mine as close to the tire as the others above have.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bugger. wish I’d known they existed. I spend ages bodging a decathlon rockrider mud guard onto the back of my bike with p clips.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

No issues installing mine

On square stays as well? Interesting.

Reluctant
    Free Member

The way JoeG’s got his mounted looks pretty good ~ the others, sitting much closer, look like hedgehog scrapers! 😀

gonzy
    Free Member

at first i thought it looked quite ugly but now i’ve seen it on a bike, it doesn’t look too bad….might have to invest in one….and speaking of ugly….

aaaaarrrggghhhh!! my eyeballs are melting!!

JoeG
    Free Member

^ The Topeak one is hideous. I can’t believe that they will sell very many…

gonzy
    Free Member

^ someone should have a word with the designer…

zippykona

I ran the rear half of the ugly guard with a neo guard.
    Not a lot of use.

failedengineer

Does anyone know if the Zefal guard could be adapted to fit … a…5?

Junkyard
    Free Member

not easily given the size of the chain stay/rear girder swing arm but you could bodge it

snowpaul
    Free Member

I have one fitted to a square stayed frame – hard but not impossible

they are great – could do with being wider and they dont work as well on my mates 29er he reckons

it does look ugly as do all mudguards but it was invaluable on my recent 4 day trans lakes trip which was mostly wet / storm force wind / sleet / snow – its been up and down via the snowdon ranger too without a problem – I really rate it – you donbt norice it when riding and its silent in use.

If you ride over 5 hrs in manky conditions, mudguards really help – we did an 8hr ride in north wales and I was ripped for taking guards – now the others are getting them – despite all of us rocking goretex shorts… I was def cleaner and less chafed by the end of it !

paul

rob-jackson
    Free Member

if anyone wants one with a lump cut out and only the long straps email me and send me £5 for postage

bn880
    Free Member

@Snaps, you installed the mounting clips in reverse (arms should install on the outside not inside). The fenders are wide enough for all MTB tires. I run them with Maxxis 2.1 all the time. All you need to do is install them correctly. (proper bracket/arm install, higher above wheel, bend the arms out then tighten if necessary)

Anyway, I have had mine for a few years now on the MTB no real issues. Early I lost one right after install that I didn’t tighten at the front as it got fed into the tire (my fault). Otherwise, they are rock solid, provide excellent rear coverage, and Ok front coverage. Front coverage could indeed be better, but the important bit is the rear where all other MTB style fenders either don’t cover enough or come loose constantly.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

think after 10+ months he may have sorted it 😉

bn880
    Free Member

You never know. There are other people reading the misinformation as well.

JoeG
    Free Member

I was thinking “where is that photo that I took of my rear fender on the bike”

Then I scroll down “hey, that looks like my bike”

It is. 10 month old thread…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Zefal no mud – mud guard – who has one?’ is closed to new replies.