Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Zee…anyone running it on an "all mountain" (bike that they go uphill on often)
  • perks

tempted by the price and simplicity of shimano zee, esp the low profile cheap clutch mech and simple 1×10 set up with 36:36

having had a jammed front mech for a while (can’t be bothered to fix) and had no problem getting up all the climbs, certainly trail centre climbs, I was wondering what other people’s experience of running either shimano zee itself and/or 1 x 10 with similar ratio (36 chainring, 11-36 block)

ta

Mackem

I’m running a Zee 11-36 with a thivk/thin 30T (Wolfring). It’s been brilliant, I’ve got some decent hills round here and even though I’m no mountain goat I’ve had no problems. On road sections I spin out but I try not to ride on the road anyway.

robarnold
    Free Member

Yes, loads of people doing it, I’ve got the same set up as above, works a treat

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’ve been a big fan of 1×10 for ages – light, secure, low maintenance and tidy. Currently running a Zee short cage, wide range rear mech on 11-36 cassette with a 32t up front for big steep, tech climbs. Spin out on fire road descents, but try to keep those to a minimum. I’ve always used a full chain device, though I’m currently experimenting with a top guide I built out of wood…

Love the stiff springs and low profile of the Zee mech, although the clutch has gone a bit ‘slack’ after 6 months or so, but it seems to do the trick. Can’t report on any of the rest of the groupset though.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, run it on my HT. 34T front, 11-36 back.

perks

interesting that folk have not gone for the 36 up front…is the 32 plenty for most riding?

creedy
    Free Member

I run a 32t works n/w up front with a short cage Zee out back and is great and simple. Up front i’d say depends what you usually ride everyone likes different things.

Rickos
    Free Member

Zee rear mechs on 3 of my bikes – the other one’s a single speed otherwise that would probably have one too. Zee disc brakes on one of those three too. All are normal riding bikes, so they get pedalled up and down again. It’s great kit and the brakes are fantastic.

burnie
    Free Member

I ride Zee with the original 36t ring on the front. I tried a 32t up front but span out too often for my liking and found that I can ride most* climbs with the 36-36. You might as well try it with the original ring first and see how well you cope, you can always buy a smaller one at a later date.

*all the climbs I could do with 3×9

Speeder

Been running a 4X style setup for as long as I’ve had a decent MTB used to manage fine with a 38 front 11-32 rear around Malvern but that was when I was young, fit and strong on a hardtail. These days I’m on a 34 front 11-36 on a 150mm “enduro” style bike and it’s fine. Go for it.

perks

thanks all – another STW win…!

cheers

scottfitz
    Free Member

34 front 11-36 here too

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Zee…anyone running it on an "all mountain" (bike that they go uphill on often)’ is closed to new replies.