Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Zee mech problem
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve a Zee FR mech that’s getting on a bit now. Had it on my Hemlock and it’s now on my Rocket. I set it up with full wrap around the chainring and biggest cog plus 2 links, and it’s pretty tight in the biggest cog (I wouldn’t want to remove any links really) but slack as anything in the smallest cog. Is there some setup I’m missing or do I need a longer cage? It needs replacing anyway really as the jockey wheels are shagged and seized in…

br
    Free Member

Mine is the same, with a 30t front and 40t rear on a FS.

It can only handle a limited number of teeth, and that seems to be it.

Will be buying another though, as it does work fine.

honourablegeorge

You need a longer cage, really. Zee doesn’t really have the capacity to take up that much slack. Oneup Rad cage might be a good idea.

flyingmonkeycorps

It’s an 11-36 mech so in theory it should work… I’m loathe to take any links out for fear of doing terrible irreparable damage. I’ll have a look at the Oneup cages.

sparkyrhino

one of mine is the same,has chucked chain off 11t on rough ground.try tweeking clutch a bit worked for me also fitted a c-glide doodad for belt and braces.

flyingmonkeycorps

It’s due for replacement anyway so if I can’t get it sorted I might go for a mid cage XT. There’s a LOT of slack, I lost it a couple of times on Cut Gate. Didn’t know you could tweak the clutch though, I’ll have a look at that.

Northwind

flyingmonkeycorps – Member

It’s an 11-36 mech so in theory it should work…

The shimano short cage is short. Designed for dh bikes and road cassettes, more or less, and then rolled out to other fields so it’s a bit marginal for larger cassettes if there’s a lot of chain growth. No idea if a rocket comes under that heading mind… XT mid is a better allround option imo but for 1×10 the radcage/radrcage is worthwhile too.

sparkyrhino

Must be cut gate chucked mine twice there,does the deralier in lowest gear sit nearly horizontal?easy to tweek clutch just a bit fiddly fitting cover and seal ring back on

flyingmonkeycorps

From memory (I’m not at home) in the lowest gear it’s not far off horizontal, though if I push it it will move a bit further to give slack.

This is just sitting static Northwind, not even taking into account chain growth – biggest gear is tight, smallest is super slack. Wondering if I do need to take out a link or two.

br
    Free Member

Wondering if I do need to take out a link or two.

It’s already tight in the big ring and slack in the small ring, as others have pointed out the cage hasn’t the capacity and is running at it’s max (or beyond).

Taking a link out will mean you can’t use the biggest ring and you’ll have (possibly) wasted a chain.

flyingmonkeycorps

That’s pretty much what I was thinking b r; it’s just strange that it always worked fine before.

I’m going to check the length, play with the clutch then probably just give in and buy an XT.

Rich
    Free Member

Mine was like that. I just tightened the b screw and it took up the slack.

flyingmonkeycorps

I completely forgot about the B-limit screw, I’ll add that to the list of things to tweak.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Zee mech problem’ is closed to new replies.