• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Moe.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 'Zed' not 'Zee'
  • stuey
    Free Member

I’ve been looking forwards to the movie – but now the trailer ruined it.

Its ZED as in Dead –
    < actually I may be wrong – the author may have been American>

😀

mactheknife

Just finished the book, reckon they have just used the title to promote the film. No way can they make that book into a Hollywood blockbuster. And fast zombies WTF?

monogramman
    Free Member

Or is it ‘Zee’ as in three?

world war 3.

PrinceJohn

Just finished the book, reckon they have just used the title to promote the film. No way can they make that book into a Hollywood blockbuster. And fast zombies WTF?

+1,0000,000,000

Or is it ‘Zee’ as in three?

world war 3.

Yup apparently that was the idea.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I always read it as zee, American innit? I think zed rhyming with dead is just a happy coincidence.

I can’t imagine they’ll take much more from the book than the zombie characteristics and the general premise of the outbreak and fightback, maybe a few characters. I think it would make a crap film if they tried to tell the story from as many viewpoints as the book.

stuey
    Free Member

I’m okay with fast Zombies if they’re ‘say’ 1-2 days dead – past that I like my zombies dragging their feet.

-loved the book too- so not expecting the low budget off camera action it deserves.

Underhill
    Free Member

So disappointed this isn’t a thread about rear mechs.

Awesome book, no way the film can come close. Having seen the trailer, it looks as though it takes one viewpoint & stretches it out, maybe touching on a few others in the neighbourhood.

In fact, I fully expect to be disappointed in the film, I fear it will have been all Hollywooded up.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think it would make a crap film if they tried to tell the story from as many viewpoints as the book.

I reckon they could make a pretty good series out of it. Maybe 2 chapters an episode, that would be great.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I reckon they could make a pretty good series out of it. Maybe 2 chapters an episode, that would be great.

Yeah, from a narrative viewpoint that could work although personally I’d make it one chapter per episode, expand on some of the details a little and make each episode a self contained story. Could indeed be great.

I can imagine having to audition and direct a new cast every episode would be a nightmare though. Has there ever been a series that has basically a new cast every week?

[edit]
    Now I think about I guess the ‘Twilight Zone’ and ‘Tales of the Unexpected’ were completely self contained, I’m sure there must be others.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I thought this thread was going to be a rant against the americanisation of the english language?

stewartc
    Free Member

Would have liked maybe HBO having a crack at this in series form, I cant imagine its possible to make a film covering all the narratives of the book and I imagine this new film version does not even try.
    Pity, but at least Hollywood cant go back in time and trash the original book, right?

Oh, and I thought it was Zee, as in World War Zee (3).

Pigface
    Free Member

I was a bit disappointed with the book, some bits were good but some just wandered off…….. The Paris catacombs would be brilliant.

Looking forward to the film but fear a Prometheus event.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Don’t think the film will be anything like the book, from the trailers it looks more like a film version of the morningstar strain, but with Holywood’s usual artistic license.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Max Brooks (the author of the book) is American, so it gets a pass. 😉 On an only slightly related note, I once had a mild argument with Dave Mustaine from Megadeth about the correct pronunciation of the letter ‘Z’…

Anyhoo, with the film of World War Z, J. Michael Straczynski wrote the original script that was greenlit, and it was very close to spirit of the book, apparently.

Once it was greenlit, they got in another scriptwriter to completely redo it, turning it into more of a conventional action film.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Going to see the fillum Saturday – cannae wait.

Moe

It’s quite funny working with them, if I (jokingly) correct their pronuciation they immediately conceed and then try to correct themselves as if it would be disrespectful not to! The only English word Americans get right (that we English don’t) is Lieutenant and thats the only consession I’ll allow them, though no doubt someone here will be able to say why ‘we’ pronounce it lef-tennant?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s quite funny working with them, if I (jokingly) correct their pronuciation

Yeah cos that’s a brilliant joke that they’ve never heard before and never gets old…

And if you know the history of language then you’ll know there’s no right or wrong really.

Moe

…. they’ve never heard before

You would be stunned how little awareness a lot of these kids have of the outside world…. but even so, they give as good as they get we all get along fine, there is no malice 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘'Zed' not 'Zee'’ is closed to new replies.